PDA

View Full Version : Tool box for turning tools

Tiger
5th February 2011, 03:14 PM
How do turners carry their tools from home to a demo, club etc.? I've seen that some use canvas rolls but I'd like to make something out of timber. Did a search here and found some caddies that can be used at home but I'm after some portability.

RETIRED
5th February 2011, 05:25 PM
I use a canvas roll because it occupies less space, is lighter and easier to carry than a wooden one that I had previously.

Just make a box with divisions out of 1/2" and 1/4" ply and use a piano hinge. Put a case handle and catch on it, eh viola, a portmanteau for your chisels.:D

Tiger
5th February 2011, 07:10 PM
portmanteau :D

, you've add a cultured tone to an already impressive range of talents :D.

Grommett
5th February 2011, 08:32 PM
Look this is quick and dirty but I use a bucket mate (bunnings) and an old tile glue bucket for the small stuff, callipers etc in the pockets. Into the bucket body enough lengths of plumbing pipe to hold the chisels. Some old towel in the bottom protects the sharp bits et voila.

Tiger
5th February 2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks Grommett, I've seen buckets used before. I don't have any space for buckets, just looking for a smallish wooden tool box that is light and portable yet is designed so that the tools don't crash into each other and dull their edges.
One other questions for those that demonstrate far from home, what else do you think is indispensable for a wooden tool box ie calipers, sharpening equipment?

RETIRED
5th February 2011, 10:04 PM
Some places you need half your shed.:D

RETIRED
5th February 2011, 10:05 PM
It really depends on what you are demonstrating.

Tiger
6th February 2011, 01:59 PM
I'm only looking at something basic, a few tools, diamond paddle, calipers. The design I'm after is one where the side of the box is cut at an angle which allows it to open outwards. Haven't been able to find a plan for it on line so if anyone has one, can you provide details please?

Fredo
6th February 2011, 10:28 PM
Tiger - I use a couple of soft tool bags, one for small pen turning tools (GMC - cost $10 at Bunnings) and a larger one for bowl and spindle turning tools ($30 - on sale at Carba-tec) both have internal and external pockets for all those odds and ends. see pics

Fredo :U

Tiger
7th February 2011, 03:39 PM
Good idea Fredo, simple and cheap. I'm still looking at a wooden version with a section that is hinged on and comes out as an angle like the old carpenter's toolboxes.
With your bags, it looks like the tools could bump into each other and blunt the edges, has that been an issue for you?

Grommett
7th February 2011, 05:41 PM
Some years ago I built a joiners case that sounds like what you are looking for. The drawers would hold the small stuff and the well could hold your chisels in a roll. I think I remember a plan in an old edition of Fine Woodworking. Try a google search for Joiners tool case. If you don't have any joy let me know and I'll look up the archives or post a photograph of mine (if I can work out how to do that)

Fredo
7th February 2011, 10:31 PM
Tiger - It is possible the tools could bump together, but I can't recall having any problems with damage to cutting edges. :no:

Fredo :U

Tiger
7th February 2011, 10:37 PM
Grommett, I tried to find it on the Fine Woodworking site but didn't have much luck, if you have further info, that would be helpful. Also if you have a picture of yours, that would be handy to see.

RETIRED
7th February 2011, 11:03 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f11/dovetail-carpenters-toolbox-chest-114495/

carpenter tool box - Google Search (http://www.google.com.au/images?q=carpenter+tool+box&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=Et5PTfjQBYyEvgPGhpEr&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=2&ved=0CD8QsAQwAQ&biw=1296&bih=676)

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f40/carpenters-tool-chest-130686/

Tiger
8th February 2011, 10:54 AM
Thanks , included among all those samples is the one that I had in mind only with straight sides rather than the curved one in this picture. Now to make one of these, you assemble the box and then how would you cut it? With a jigsaw (if you were after that nice curve)?

rsser
8th February 2011, 11:45 AM
FWIW I've not found the need for anything other than a tool roll designed for turners.

And yes, is a cultured chap. Turns in the shed to the sound of piped opera.

Perhaps the only thing I got out of 8 years French study is the rare opportunity of correcting him on something, his spelling. Should be 'et voila' ;-}

Grommett
8th February 2011, 01:09 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.com/members/61299-grommett/albums/woodwork-general/5895t-img-0001.jpg

This is the second page of the article I scanned. Am having trouble with the first page. Let me know if this works. Otherwise I can send you a photocopy of the articlee

Grommett
8th February 2011, 01:14 PM
No it doesn't work, you cant read it. I'll keep trying.

Tiger
8th February 2011, 01:16 PM
Hi Grommett, the image is too small to read, if you can tell me which issue it comes from I might be able to locate it.

Grommett
8th February 2011, 01:19 PM
Issue No 24 September/October 1980 pp76-77

Tiger
8th February 2011, 01:21 PM
Thanks, Grommett, that's going back a while but I'll see if I can locate it.

Allan at Wallan
13th February 2011, 08:20 PM
Hi Tiger,

I saw this post the other day but have only just found time today
to take a couple of photos and respond to it.

My toolbox is wooden with a carry handle, I cut slots within a
piece of perspex to fit my chisels and hot glued the perspex in.

The chisels are then placed within the slots (alternately) and
therefore avoid chisel damage.

Works well for me.:2tsup:

Allan

Tiger
13th February 2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks Allan, that's creative and simple, I like your idea of keeping the chisels protected. Meanwhile this project is becoming bigger than Ben Hur for me, I like the idea of something that is lockable and can accommodate some other turning accessories.
It is always good though to see how others do it and I like some of the ideas tossed around here.

scorpio_oz
14th February 2011, 12:37 AM
Here is another idea I found that might be of use to someone.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/traveling_tool_tote.pdf

Regards

-G

Tiger
14th February 2011, 11:28 AM
Thanks, Scorpio, that is a clever design, I can definitely use some of the ideas mentioned in the article.

Grommett
21st February 2011, 12:27 PM
Hi Tiger, finally got the photos loaded. Hope they are of some help.

Tiger
21st February 2011, 01:40 PM
Thanks, Grommett, that looks very nice.:2tsup:

Tornatus
22nd February 2011, 06:52 PM
Late on the scene, as usual ...

I use a long toolbag, like my mate Fredo, and I avoid the potential damage from tools banging together by fitting (dare I say it?) "condoms" over the tips made from suitable sizes of plastic tubing. I didn't bother at first, but after I bought my Tormek and produced some "scary sharp" edges, I figured it was worth taking some prophylactic measures. Also stops the pointier gouges and chisels from spearing through the ends of the bag, even though it's tough Cordura fabric; and from spiking unwary fingers when you are groping around for the right tool.

And before anyone niggles - yes, Virginia, you can fit a round tube over a skew chisel or scraper. If you choose a large enough diameter plastic tube, it is malleable enough to flatten over the chisel blade as you insert it. (I would have taken photos, if it wasn't so bleeding obvious ...)

TTIT
22nd February 2011, 11:15 PM
I'm with Tornatus on this. I only cart my tools around once or twice a year but I bought a long toolbox and slip bits of hose or push-bike tubes over the chisels - to protect me from them rather than from each other :;

issatree
23rd February 2011, 02:34 AM
Hi Tiger,
I've done a few Demo's in the past, & yes you need a Good Tool Holder.
I found a Piece of 12in. - 305mm.Plastic Pipe, turned a piece of 25mm. Pine, & Pop Riveted it in place, for the Bottom, 2 pieces of 3Ply, which quartered it, for Gouges, Skews, Small Tools & Whatever is left.
Made a Steel U Handle, with a Turned Split Handle, high enough so as not to bang my Knuckles on the Tool Handles.
Works well. Holds a lot of Tools of which I have.