PDA

View Full Version : Assorted Turnings

Fredo
6th February 2011, 08:47 AM
Although things have been fairly quiet on the turning front for me over the past 12 to 18 months (I hope to turn more this year) here are some pics of a few things I have turned.

1- Hollow Vase, routed flutes made from London Plane - 230mm x 140mm
2 - Boxes, Rose Gum and Claret Ash around - 140mm x 90mm
3 - Bowl, Iron-bark - 300mm x 140mm
4 - HF, on stand , made from Claret Ash with routed flutes and ebonised with India Ink - 180mm x 150mm
5 - Vase, Claret Ash, turned on two centres, heavily scorched and wire brushed, finished with BLO - 230mm x 190mm

Fredo :U

artme
6th February 2011, 08:56 AM
WOW!! Beautiful work and agreat range of forms Fredo! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Sawdust Maker
6th February 2011, 08:58 AM
Nice work
I'm not going to pick a favourite as they are all great

if the second is a box where's the lid :hmm:

wheelinround
6th February 2011, 09:28 AM
Quality work :2tsup:

munruben
6th February 2011, 09:45 AM
Very nice indeed.:2tsup:

mkypenturner
6th February 2011, 12:22 PM
WOW stunning :2tsup::2tsup:

Fredo
6th February 2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks gents, you're very kind.

Sawdust Maker - Nick, here's another pic of the boxes with the lids off.

I've also included a pic of a goblet I made.

orraloon
6th February 2011, 01:56 PM
All very nice work. :2tsup:

pugwash
6th February 2011, 02:43 PM
I like the hand grenade.:U

bench1holio
6th February 2011, 04:23 PM
very tidy fredo :2tsup: very tidy!

Sawdust Maker
6th February 2011, 07:59 PM
Nice
I couldn't pick the join in the second one :2tsup:

dai sensei
6th February 2011, 08:02 PM
Beautiful work Fredo :2tsup:

I especially like the first hollow vase :cool: It is the darkest London Plain I've seen though, looks like myrtle, have you stained it?

Fredo
6th February 2011, 09:28 PM
Again gentlemen many thanks for the kind remarks.

Dai sensei - Neil, the wood is definitely London Plane, and it is not stained - the finish is Feast Watson Scandinavian oil, one that I have used for ten years or so, and it doesn't seem to darken the wood any more than other finishes I have used.

I have quite a lot of London Plane from the same tree and have made four or five pieces from it and it all seems to be a similar colour (excellent wood to turn and finishes a treat).

Again many thanks,

Ed Reiss
7th February 2011, 12:16 PM
Excellent turnings, Fredo ...and your photography skills ain't half bad either :2tsup:

TTIT
7th February 2011, 05:18 PM
Sweet stuff Fredo - very nice :2tsup:

Fredo
7th February 2011, 10:12 PM
Ed & Vern - Thanks for your comments

Ed - About the photography; I'd like to say it's my untiring devotion and skill that produces good results, but it just ain't the truth. Those pics were taken outside in full sun with a 5 year old Cannon Digital SLR set to full auto (no flash) a tripod is essential to steady the camera otherwise not much skill was involved. I'm only guessing but I think the big secret is real light - sunlight and that's about all I know.

brendan stemp
8th February 2011, 09:00 AM
That's a bunch of excellent turnings. Well done Fredo. Shapes are right and the finish contributes to their very fine presentation. You should be entering some of this stuff in the Australian Woodturning Exhibition in June. You're too good to not have a go, unless of course you already have.

Ed Reiss
8th February 2011, 12:10 PM
Ed & Vern - Thanks for your comments

Ed - About the photography; I'd like to say it's my untiring devotion and skill that produces good results, but it just ain't the truth. Those pics were taken outside in full sun with a 5 year old Cannon Digital SLR set to full auto (no flash) a tripod is essential to steady the camera otherwise not much skill was involved. I'm only guessing but I think the big secret is real light - sunlight and that's about all I know.

hmmmm...your method works very well then - will have to try it since my photography skills and success have always been lacking (amongst a lot of other things as well :C )