PDA

View Full Version : Measure Me Up

Termite
22nd November 2004, 10:12 AM
Okaaaaayyyyyy, so on top of expanding my handplane collection, adding to my card scraper and scraper plane inventory, fueling my addiction to Japanese saws, and generaly being dragged down to the dark side, I finally succumbed to the dreaded WATER STONE DISEASE.
A couple of weeks ago I bought 1200 and a 6000 stones, then last week 800 and 4000. I spent all Saturday flattening honing polishing and only cut myself twice. How long has this been going on folks, I mean I've seen various threads on sharpening and waterstones but none of you in the know have realy let on how good these stones are.
So the outcome of all of the above is "I'M A BELIEVER"
Derek, send the regimental tailors around to measure me up for my black suit and helmet please. :D

silentC
22nd November 2004, 10:50 AM
Two woodworkers sharpening their chisels. One says "where's the waterstone?" The other says "yes, it does, doesn't it?"

Termite
22nd November 2004, 11:36 AM
That had to come from the bottom of the waterstone sludge Darren :D :D

Wood Borer
22nd November 2004, 01:09 PM
Termite,

We have let on but it is an inner secret of the dark side. Were you wearing a foil hat when let on? If not, perhaps your recollection has been stolen.

Try re-reading the threads now you are a member of the dark side. Some of the hidden text might become visible.

You are right though, waterstones are great and most people who knock them or don't use them do so due to ignorance rather than due to bad experiences.

I am sure there are other stones that are good but I haven't moved on from waterstones because they perform so well.

I often consider getting into Arkansas stones as I have heard they are also very good. It probably boils down to horses for courses and perhaps a selection of stones would be ideal.

Termite
22nd November 2004, 01:13 PM
OK I know about the foil hat but what about the secret handshake ;)

Wood Borer
22nd November 2004, 01:22 PM
Don't worry about the handshake, you can tell a keen dark sider by the shaved patches on their arms. Some people like Al, have taken it too far and shave their legs and who knows what else but it is good they are keen.

silentC
22nd November 2004, 01:25 PM
On their arms? Oh bugger, that's where I've been going wrong. I've been shaving my head :o

Thank you brother Borer...

craigb
22nd November 2004, 01:33 PM
Did you also get some plasterboard sanding mesh for flattening your stones?

I think it was originally Derek's tip and it works a treat.

Oh, and you'll definitely be needing some green honing compound. :)

Wolfs
22nd November 2004, 01:50 PM
I have just the 1200 and a 6000 which work very well, did the addition of the 4000 make a noticable difference?

Wood Borer
22nd November 2004, 01:51 PM
Termite,

What Craig suggested is great for flattening your water stones as they won't remain flat.

Although not directly related to sharpening, another useful tool (and cheap) is a screwdriver used by shearers on their handpieces for the cutters and combs. These screw drivers are very short, fit easily in your hand and have a nice wide blade for undoing the screws on your planes. Most wide bladed screwdrivers have handles 2 foot long and the shorter screwdrivers have relatively narrower blades, including the stubby screwdrivers.

I bought one at an old tool sale but my little brother tells me you can pick them up brand new for $7 at Stock and Station agents who sell shearing gear.

Termite
22nd November 2004, 02:22 PM
1. Haven't got the plasterboard mesh yet, been using wet & dry.
2. Yes, got the green compound, although I still hone on glass based 2500 wet & dry (0.5micron) before the green compound.
3. Yes the 4000 is a good transition grit before going to 6000, takes out the coarse scratches from the 1200 and lets the 6000 do its job properly.
4. Thanks for the tip about the driver.

Thanks folks, love the way the info comes when you're part of the inner circle. :D :D

Suresh
22nd November 2004, 02:26 PM
Thanks Woodborer,
That tip about the short but wide bladed screwdriver is just what I was looking for. By the way I finally passed "Sharpening 101".
I could not believe the amount of time I was spending trying to get a good edge on my blades and the frustration building up.
As I mentioned on another thread I recently bought the new Woodworking magazine and there was an interesting article on sharpening. It brought home to me the importance of the back of the blade. Now I beleive that the most important tool for sharpening is a marker pen. Without it I could not get the back of the blade flat and without the back flat there was no way of getting the blade sharp.
Suresh

silentC
22nd November 2004, 02:59 PM
These screw drivers are very short, fit easily in your hand and have a nice wide blade for undoing the screws on your planes
Isn't that what the lever cap is for? ;)

Rocker
22nd November 2004, 03:13 PM
Suresh,

I am a believer in the back-bevel, as recommended by David Charlesworth, for sharpening plane blades. It is produced by laying a thin 150 mm ruler on a diamond stone parallel to one of its long sides. The back of the plane blade is then laid on the ruler and the blade is slid up and down the stone at right angles to the ruler. This produces a back bevel at an angle of half a degree to the back of the plane. It eliminates the need for the blade's back to be perfectly flat, and easily removes the wire edge produced when honing the microbevel.

Rocker

Wood Borer
22nd November 2004, 04:13 PM
Isn't that what the lever cap is for? ;)

Mmmmm not with good bronze lever caps, besides the lever cap is angular and eventually ruins the screw slot.

I know you were joking Silent but I know many people use the lever cap as a screw driver. It is even suggested in some books but I reckon it is not a good practice. I have an old lever cap chewed out on that edge which I suspect was used for that purpose, certainly not by me though.

I suppose you could also use the sole of the plane to tighten the vice by belting it against the handle. :D

Termite
22nd November 2004, 04:18 PM
Whats all this talk about lever caps and bronze and such like. I told you I've slipped right into the dark side. I've got real planes, made of wood. :D :D

silentC
22nd November 2004, 04:20 PM
I confess, I have used the lever cap as screwdriver to loosen the blade. More than once. I'm sorry, I will repent my evil ways.

real planes, made of wood
I've heard they make great doorstops, Termite ;) :D

Termite
22nd November 2004, 04:29 PM
At least when you bash the vice handle with them they dont mark it. :D

Wood Borer
22nd November 2004, 04:34 PM
Termite,

I am proud of you but not ashamed of myself because it is not my fault my Meg keeps buying me metal planes. I haven't the heart to tell her to stop nor would I feel right throwing them away. So I just keep using them to keep the peace.

I guess I am under the thumb - a wimp who doesn't wear the pants in the family. A bloke only drinks beer to empty the beer fridge so she can have the pleasure of filling it up for me. :D

I have got about 2 dozen or more old wooden planes including jacks and trys and moulding planes. I also have a Muji, do they count even though I don't use the old ones? I do use the Muji sometimes though.

Sturdee
22nd November 2004, 04:39 PM
I suppose you could also use the sole of the plane to tighten the vice by belting it against the handle. :D

That reminds me of the saying " All tools are hammers except for chisels, they are screwdrivers." :D

Peter.

Termite
22nd November 2004, 04:41 PM
I guess I am under the thumb - a wimp who doesn't wear the pants in the family. A bloke only drinks beer to empty the beer fridge so she can have the pleasure of filling it up for me. :D

I have got about 2 dozen or more old wooden planes including jacks and trys and moulding planes. I also have a Muji, do they count even though I don't use the old ones? I do use the Muji sometimes though.

Personaly I think you're the smart sort of wimp, generous to a fault where SWSMBO (I'll explain the extra S if asked) is concerned.
But seriously, do up some of the woodies, particularly the jack and the try, you may be very pleasantly suprised. Of course you could always donate them to my termite nest :rolleyes: :D

ozwinner
22nd November 2004, 05:41 PM
Termite,

I am proud of you but not ashamed of myself because it is not my fault my Meg keeps buying me metal planes. I haven't the heart to tell her to stop nor would I feel right throwing them away. So I just keep using them to keep the peace.

Gee's your game Rob, I hope Meg doesnt read this.
Otherwise I think she'll beat you up. :D :D

Al :D

outback
22nd November 2004, 05:45 PM
On their arms? Oh bugger, that's where I've been going wrong. I've been shaving my head :o

:o Wow, do I feel silly, I can't tell ya where I shave, but SWMBO gives me funny looks sometimes. :o

ozwinner
22nd November 2004, 05:49 PM
:o Wow, do I feel silly, I can't tell ya where I shave, but SWMBO gives me funny looks sometimes. :o
Im glad you admitted it, I was too bashfull to speak up.

Al :o :D

scooter
22nd November 2004, 11:12 PM
Funny, don't remember seeing "test sharpness by shaving back, sack and crack..." on Terry Gordon's website...:o :eek:

I've gone too far again, haven't I...:rolleyes: :cool:

Peter, like that hammer & chisel saying, too close to the truth though.

Cheers..........Sean

DanP
22nd November 2004, 11:38 PM
I haven't the heart to tell her to stop nor would I feel right throwing them away.

I can solve that moral dilemma for you Rob. GIVE THE LN'S TO ME (with their nast bronze bits and filthy precision engineering). :D :eek: See I'm such a nice bloke, willing to help out a friend and all. If it makes you feel better I'll give you my Muji as a replacement. :cool:

Dan

Doc0055
23rd November 2004, 01:31 AM
my 5 cents,

Dont bother trying to sharper any thing, esecialy nice QLY tools. Go to your local saw doctor ( or equivelant ) and tell them u will make them a hand saw handle for each sharpen they give.

Every saw sharpener i know is reconditioning old ( great ) saws. They would rather someone else made the handle. Time consuming.

If you have some spare timen on your hands you can have the sharpest tools.

silentC
23rd November 2004, 08:18 AM
I wouldn't let my local saw sharpener within 100 metres of my chisels :eek:

Wood Borer
23rd November 2004, 09:28 AM
Thanks for your support chaps, I fessed up to Meg last night and my punishment is that I have to keep the tools, accept more tools and I have to keep drinking that damn beer.

Tough, I know but she did cut me a bit of slack by permitting me to share some of the beer with my woodwork mates. It is good when you can still compromise after 27 or 28 years.

I look forward to some of you helping me out with the beer.

I used my Muji last night whilst making my latest shooting board. It is a narrow rebate plane which was just the right width for the job. A pleasure to use thanks to CraigB.

craigb
23rd November 2004, 09:40 AM
I used my Muji last night whilst making my latest shooting board. It is a narrow rebate plane which was just the right width for the job. A pleasure to use thanks to CraigB.

Only too happy to send it to a good home Rob. :)

It should think itself lucky sharing cupboard space with all thos LN's :D

RETIRED
23rd November 2004, 05:19 PM
Funny, don't remember seeing "test sharpness by shaving back, sack and crack..." on Terry Gordon's website...:o :eek:

I've gone too far again, haven't I...:rolleyes: :cool:

Peter, like that hammer & chisel saying, too close to the truth though.

Cheers..........Sean
Close, verrrrrryyy close :D

outback
23rd November 2004, 05:30 PM
WB, I'm only to happy to help with your beer problem. i mean what are mates for. Will drop in next time I'm in the neighborhood, which at my rate will be about twelve months, but it should be nice and cold by then, the beer that is. :D

scooter
24th November 2004, 01:28 AM
Yeah, sorry , and I put so much effort into wording it so delicately.... :o :rolleyes:

Got to live on the edge sometimes!

Cheers........Sean "At least he died trying..."