PDA

View Full Version : Walking Canes

horacedale
14th February 2011, 11:54 PM
I would like to turn my family members a walking cane. My question is (1) how are the handle and foot attached on one in which you turn the handle and (2) how are the handle and foot attached on a cane where you buy a kit with handle and foot included?
Thanks for your help!!

munruben
15th February 2011, 07:43 AM
Good question, I have never given it much thought but would be interesting to know. I'm sure someone will come up with the answer.

RETIRED
15th February 2011, 07:47 AM
Here ya go<cite>: </cite>This from Craft Supplies In America.

cookie48
16th February 2011, 02:58 PM
Look on the yankie web sites for your handles etc. Thay have more range and cheaper than the only two I have found for sale in Aust.

nine fingers
16th February 2011, 07:47 PM
An old mate that I haven't caught up with for a year or more visited us a couple of weeks ago, I thought I had bad legs, when he arrived at the door I offered him walking stick, one I made a couple of years ago. Hey will you make me one of those, so here it is .
A seeing eye dog,handle ,carved from redgum with copper band with his initials. The handle is connected to the shaft with a 10-mm alloy rod , roughtened up to get medium density super glue to hold.
Started this morning 9- 30am , finished and polished before dinner tonight,
even had time for a 40 minute nap after lunch. cheers NF.

dr4g0nfly
16th February 2011, 10:50 PM
I use threaded bar, 8mm or 10mm depending upon the thickness of the stick at that point. However I've never tried Super Glue, I prefer Epoxy glues like Araldite.

burraboy
17th February 2011, 06:47 AM
I would like to turn my family members a walking cane. My question is (1) how are the handle and foot attached on one in which you turn the handle and (2) how are the handle and foot attached on a cane where you buy a kit with handle and foot included?
Thanks for your help!!

1) Deformed reo bar is the cheapest way to go for the handle, use an epoxy as a glue. Get a rubber foot that just pushes on.
2) If all else fails, read the instructions. No instructions? Contact the kits' maker.

Old-Biker-UK
17th February 2011, 08:13 AM
Threaded rod /rebar or whatever with epoxy, never had one come off even using the handle to hook logs out of the shrubbery.
I also fit mine with Alpine style steel ends, handy for deterring the odd aggressive dog.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/remark/pages/hobbies/woodwork/sticks.jpg
Mark

burraboy
18th February 2011, 07:24 AM
Ouch, not an indoor tip is it then?
Nice ferrules too, where do you get them/?

Old-Biker-UK
18th February 2011, 10:02 AM
.......Nice ferrules too, where do you get them/?
Plumbing fittings are OK but you have Hobson's choice as to sizes.
I use well annealed brass, nickel silver or silver sheet rolled around a bar then silver soldered. I make them just a little bit smaller than the recesses on the stick and handle then they can be persuaded to a sweet fit with a hammer on a steel bar.
Mark