PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Masonite Whitecote

Berzerker
15th February 2011, 02:30 PM
Hey guys just had a question about cutting masonite whitecoat board, I use it to airbrush on because of the smooth solid surface. At the moment I've been cutting it with a jigsaw but its been tearing little flakes of the whitecote off the edges, how do they cut it leaving a smooth edge?

Or is there anywhere that I could buy it at custom sizes? At the moment I've been getting the smallest available size from Bunnings and cutting it into 4 A3 size panels.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Tools
15th February 2011, 06:26 PM
Cut it from the back with the white side down.

Tools

Berzerker
15th February 2011, 06:39 PM
Yeh i gave that a go just before, helped a bit. would a finer blade for the jigsaw help?

joe greiner
15th February 2011, 10:40 PM
Cut through the coating with a utility knife before sawing.

Cheers,
Joe

Bob38S
16th February 2011, 03:14 PM
Cut the sheet slightly oversize and then cut to finished size on a router table - a spiral bit is probably the best but a straight bit will give a good result.

mjm37
25th September 2020, 05:33 PM
Cut the sheet slightly oversize and then cut to finished size on a router table - a spiral bit is probably the best but a straight bit will give a good result.

That will work. Lacking a router table, I clamp a straight edge on top (a 150 mm wide piece of MDF planed flat) and use a profile follower bit.

The manufacturers probably cut it like melamine-faced board: two TCT saw blades adjusted so the tips just graze the surfaces. The lower blade follows and must cut within the channel left by the upper blade.

Tonyz
25th September 2020, 10:41 PM
my 10c worth...dont think its worth 2 bob,....but putting masking tape down over your cut line ??

double.d
26th September 2020, 07:08 AM
Berzerker, you are surrounded here by people with table saws, why not buy a full sheet and get someone to cut it up for you, would be much cheaper as well.

Wrongwayfirst
26th September 2020, 09:32 AM
Cut through the coating with a utility knife before sawing.

Cheers,
Joe

sounds like you probably don’t have table saws and routers etc to cut with,

as joe suggests cutting through with a Stanley knife two or three passes then use this line as your cut line, for the off cut edge you could just use the Stanley knife on a 45 angle and scour down to the chip out level, that is to shave off the chip out edge.

masking tape and upside down cutting would be my number two suggestion.

Do you have a circular saw, a light cut through the surface then a second pass to cut through.

cheers

Beardy
26th September 2020, 09:33 AM
Thread is 10 years old

Wrongwayfirst
26th September 2020, 09:55 PM
Thread is 10 years old

true it is too, but maybe he struggles with how to do it still.:U:doh: