PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening Turning Chiesels - teacher?

Milo
15th February 2011, 03:37 PM
Hi Everyone

I have been woodworking for about a year now and the reason I got into it IS my late father was a Patern Maker back in the day. Fast forward 20 years and I have managed to bring over his original toolbox of lathe chiesels and every caliper that you could imagine.

Many hours of WD40, Steel wool and wet and dry sanding and the surface rust is under control.

I am scoping out a few lathes to purchase but in the interim I would like to learn how to sharpen all of his chiesels.

The way I would like to learn is through a teacher or someone who will show me the best way of going about it.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Regards

Milo :D

tea lady
15th February 2011, 03:44 PM
So which bit of Australia do you live? There is gonna be a sharpening weekend down at 's in Tooradine shortly. In Victoria. So if you are near Melbourne you are in luck.:cool: Otherwise..... I dunno! :C

Grommett
15th February 2011, 04:19 PM
I joined my local woodworking club and learnt from the guys

rsser
15th February 2011, 04:30 PM
Certainly worth taking a lesson from someone who's up with the best techniques and tools.

mkypenturner
15th February 2011, 08:16 PM
wonder if ken w is going to be there ??? using his tormek and never on a bench grinder ................. that was untill he was photographed using one at last years proserpine turnout :D i was there

Grommett
15th February 2011, 09:22 PM
Any details on the sharpening weekend at 's. I know we have a gtg day at the end of Feb but I thought that was seperate.

RETIRED
15th February 2011, 10:00 PM
Any details on the sharpening weekend at 's. I know we have a gtg day at the end of Feb but I thought that was seperate.Feb 26th is a club day. The sharpening one is yet to be decided. Thread here:http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/anybody-129784/

Will probably be about mid March.

Milo
15th February 2011, 11:35 PM
sorry chaps had a brain fart, I am on the west side of Brisbane

WOODY70
16th February 2011, 08:46 AM
sorry chaps had a brain fart, I am on the west side of Brisbane
Milo,
Try Rob Mckee at R M School of Woodwork the best woodturning teacher in Qld (Bris).
or
Ken Wraight will be demonstrating all the aspects of sharpening at Turnfest on the Gold Coast at the end of March.
www.turnfest.com.au (http://www.turnfest.com.au)

Cheers
Dave

Simomatra
16th February 2011, 03:01 PM
Try looking at these Utube video's YouTube - capneddie's Channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/capneddie)

KenW
17th February 2011, 09:51 AM
wonder if ken w is going to be there ??? using his tormek and never on a bench grinder ................. that was untill he was photographed using one at last years proserpine turnout :D i was there
Troy as I keep telling you it wasn't my chisel.

indigo.frog
17th February 2011, 10:50 AM
There's a lot of good information on the net, try googling sharpening videos. Failing that, there's a Mike Darlow DVD which comes with templates to set your tool rest to the right angle. High speed steel doesn't need to be kept cool, but you've got old chisels, so you may be better off with the Tormek system, which keeps your chisels cooler and stops the metal from overheating. As it's a more expensive system, you may prefer to keep a container of water handy and keep dipping your chisel in it to cool it as you go. I have a ryobi bench grinder and a carba-tec tool rest ($40-odd), using some templates I got from Mike, and training I had in high school tech studies, I find it pretty easy to sharpen chisels. To practice, buy cheap old chisels (woodturning or other) and practice your heart out. The main objective is to get the right angle on the chisel (hence the guides to get the tool rest at the right angle). Once sharpened, touch them up with a stone as you need it. They shouldn't need re-grinding as often that way.

Other than that, I hope you find someone to teach you, as that's the easiest way to learn.