PDA

View Full Version : A Project for Beginners

Bob H
23rd November 2004, 03:30 PM
http://www.vianet.ca/~rhelman/2roost.jpg

These 7 inch tall roosters are the result of my very first foray into intarsia. I had been doing other scrollsaw stuff for a few months prior, but this caught my eye as way to add creativity which is lacking in the routine cut cut cut of fretwork and the like.

As a beginner I followed the instructions and did nothing more than round over the edges. However I did use my own choices of wood/colour.

The end result was enough to hook me. And away I went. Still do other types of scrolling too, but 9 of 10 projects are intarsia.

This pattern:

There is nothing complicated. Sawing is straightforward and if you have some difficulty following the line, errors are forgiving.

The shading in the pattern gives you an indication of the colours you can use. Either various shades of wood or, if you choose, paint/stain.

The shading shows 4 shades or colours. White (or very light), Light, Medium and Dark. In my example I used 5 different woods, the 5th being the red combs.

Fact is all one colour could work too, as a practice piece.

If the wood grain is pronounced it will look better if the bit being cut has the grain running through the long axis of that piece . This is not critical here but will become necessary as you progress to more complex subjects. I think you can see the effect of grain in most of the pictures I have posted.

You may choose to lay the entire pattern upon the wood you are working with, fasten it down with your choice of temporary adhesive, and cut it all out in one go. Then reassemble the pieces a la a jigsaw puzzle.

Or if you wish to use either several different woods or to utilize the natural grain directions I suggest you print out several copies of the pattern then you can cut out individual pieces, lay them on the wood you have chosen, with the grain and cut the bits out individually. (This is the way I do it).

This second method requires more accurate cutting but the final product is more professional looking and pleasing to the eye, that is if you are not going to paint over the bits.

When everything is cut out and you are happy with how each piece fits with its neighbour(s) then round-over the edges.

Watch that you do not go to extremes of rounding for the first try.

Do all edges the same, fit them all back together and examine the overall effect from a couple of feet away. You obviously can't stand the piece up on end so lay it on the floor between your feet. Look too flat? Add a bit more rounding to the edges where needed.

Suggestion: with the exception of the tail feathers try not to make any piece completely round from side to side. You can with the tail feathers and this will enhance them a bit, but too much rounding can impart a bulbous look.

When you are satisfied you can start on the finishing. If you are painting/staining do it now. If you are leaving the wood(s) natural then go into the glue-up.

You can either glue each piece to the other(s) and set aside to dry then glue to a backer, or; assemble and glue right on the backing. The backing being a piece of 1/4 in plywood.

Finishing the piece: I ues a matte or very low gloss finish. I try not to have too much light reflected. This is a personal preference.

I prefer to glue directly to an oversize backer then with the scroll saw set at a low angle, cut the backer out by following the perimeter of the piece. The angle helps hide the backer from being seen from the front.

I hope I was not too long winded. Please, if anything is not clear, ask me to clarify.

It all boils down to: Put the pattern on the wood,cut it out, round the edges, re-assemble and glue, then apply a finish.hang it up.

And, I would be happy if you posted a shot of your finished rooster(s)
http://www.vianet.ca/~rhelman/chickpat.jpg

oges
23rd November 2004, 05:06 PM
Looks good, I have that pattern around here somewhere

scooter
24th November 2004, 01:20 AM
Thanks Bob, I'm not into intarsia as yet but I know what you mean about the cut cut of regular scrolling, so you never know, may cross over to the I word !!

Am finding your posts very interesting and informative, not to mention your fine work.

Cheers mate..................Sean