PDA

View Full Version : A couple of bowls . . .

Pat
17th February 2011, 02:39 PM
Just been mucking around :U

A medium size QLD Maple bowl (290mm) and a whoops of an Osage Orange bowl (approx 100mm)

A couple burl slabs, to which MBGitW reckons some should be coffee table tops, not cut up for plates or bowls.

The big set of calipers, I brought at a garage sale for a joke:;

wheelinround
17th February 2011, 02:46 PM
Nice collection Pat.

Shed supervisor looks peeved your not creating shavings :p

Large measuring things for those big bowls. Aldi's Magnetic tool holders $10 this week

Sawdust Maker
20th February 2011, 08:58 AM
Nice work
not sure of the square sides on the OO but what would I know

Tell her that on further reflection these aren't good enough for a coffee table top and you are still searching :;

Is that a bit of surface rust on the bed of the yella terra

Oh and nice pickup on the calipers

Pat
20th February 2011, 09:29 AM
Nick, the OO is a whoops as someone tried out a newly made round blank cutting jig on the Bandsaw and the Stuff Up Fairy paid a visit:doh: So it was a "What the (insert favourite saying here) " moment and I just whacked on a faceplate and had a go . . .

No surface rust on the Yellow Peril, finish stains and dust :U

artme
20th February 2011, 10:04 AM
Nice stuphph Pat>:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

I guess you could remount and return the OO so it has a thin rim and then cut it so it has a square(ish) rim.

Sawdust Maker
20th February 2011, 06:57 PM
Nick, the OO is a whoops as someone tried out a newly made round blank cutting jig on the Bandsaw and the Stuff Up Fairy paid a visit:doh: So it was a "What the (insert favourite saying here) " moment and I just whacked on a faceplate and had a go . . .

No surface rust on the Yellow Peril, finish stains and dust :U

Sorry about that
I've only had a little bit of shed time recently so the Stuff-Up Fairy obviously got bored and went to your place :C

I bet you went out into the shed and had a look at the bed :D

Pat
21st February 2011, 12:43 PM
Just started on the big brother . . . ATM sanded to 600 and EEE. I am still deciding on what finish to use DO, DO + Trad Wax, DO + Waxtik, Kunos Oil, Shellawax, Shellawax Glow or Shellawax cream.

BTW Nick, I check on the Yellow Peril everyday, so rust has not got a chance:;

RETIRED
21st February 2011, 12:52 PM
Kunos oil. Velly nice.

Pat
13th March 2011, 11:13 AM
Well I finally finished the big brother. Around 410mm diameter (16 3/8") & 56mm (2 1/4") high. Finished to 1000 grit w&d, EEE then >10 coats Kunos Oil.

Both have a lot of figure and were a pleasure to turn. I got both blanks from forum member Mapleman at the last Sydney WWW show, (I spoke to his wife). Both blanks were supposedly for guitar bodies, bad luck instrument makers, that stuff is too good for a mere guitar:q I hope he makes it down to the Sydney show again, this year.

Deb took this lot of pics. that's why they are clear and crisp.

wheelinround
13th March 2011, 11:32 AM
Yeh sorry I haven't finished the jaws yet Pat I have the 16mm round cut :doh:

Love that large one guitar :no: at least it could now be a Banjo just needs a long neck and a hole cut in it.

Photography is a major improvement thanks Deb.:U

Sawdust Maker
13th March 2011, 07:43 PM
Wow

Some very nice wood there

nice work :2tsup:

artme
13th March 2011, 09:49 PM
Very nice figure there PAt and a great finish on your pieces. I would be pleased to have turned them!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup: