PDA

View Full Version : Tasmanian Blackwood Neck and Fretboard?

Nobus
18th February 2011, 02:35 PM
Has anyone used Tasmanian Blackwood as a fretboard? I noticed it on some Weissenborn guitars and was wondering if it would work well on an electric. Since I have some left over I was thinking of applying a dark stain to it but don't want to have to lacquer it like a maple fretboard. Is it suitable?

Also I have a nice piece of blackwood I plan on using for a neck. My question is does it need to be quatersawn to be strong enough or would it need carbon fibre re-inforcement? I have attached a picture showing the grain.

Cheers

auscab
18th February 2011, 04:09 PM
I did read on another web site where it was used on a steel string acoustic and the guy who built it said he wasn't so happy with it's tone , I think he said ? And that he would not use the same stuff again
unless it was a harder variety of Blackwood

I did use a mostly face cut Blackwood neck on the steel string acoustic I am building, [ My first guitar ] I took it down close to size and let it sit in the humidity cabinet for months.

I read a book by Siminoff where he said face cut moved less with a test done with a weight compared with quarter sawn, but I am sure quarter sawn is the safe bet for stability, like I think if you stick with quarter you may not have to make a whole new neck if it does move.

By the look of your bit of timber you could do it any way you like, it looks big enough.

Rob