PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of leady lathes?

chuck1
18th February 2011, 10:50 PM
just wondering what people think of leady lathes? i bought it to use as a bowl / face plate lathe; bought one for $1000 second hand with scroll chuck , woodfast screw cup chuck , woodfast expanding chuck with 2 sizes of jaws , 2 face plates , long hole boring bits , 12 chisels / gouges made by P&N , henry taylor; with bohiler tool steel which i reground into skew and some other bits and peices. i thought it was a great buy! as it hasnt done much work

Ross
19th February 2011, 07:41 AM
Sounds like you got a bargain.

Happy turning.

Ross

orraloon
19th February 2011, 09:35 AM
Hi chuck1,
I have had one for a few years and think it is great.
With all the other bits and pieces a bargin.
Regards
John

NeilS
19th February 2011, 11:24 AM
I'd say a very good buy, Chuck.

With just the addition of a VS 2HP motor, the Leady would be close to my ideal lathe.

I thought very carefully about that option before I bought my last lathe (a Woodfast).

artme
19th February 2011, 02:19 PM
Like the Stubby, the Leady is "different" in the best possible way. I think you have picked up a real bargain.:):):)

turnerted
19th February 2011, 03:54 PM
Sounds like you got a good buy. Our club has several of them and they work well, also, Bruce Leadbeatter is good bloke and can tell you anything you need to know about it .

Ted

rsser
19th February 2011, 04:19 PM
Good score Chuck.

The woodturning god was looking after you with that buy.

He may however now expect some sacrifice to be made ....

chuck1
19th February 2011, 11:20 PM
yes the sacrificing has begun!!! sorry to the trees!!! my wife is getting the house to her self as im in the shed on my days off turning away! going throught my t.a.f.e books from my apprenticeship days !! beads and hollows beads and hollows! i turned a 450mm platter the other day too. aaahhhh friction chucking! but it worked!:)

chuck1
19th February 2011, 11:24 PM
thought it was a good buy!!! the feed back has reassured me thankyou all ; will post some photos of my turning when i get a chance

chuck1
19th February 2011, 11:26 PM
Like the Stubby, the Leady is "different" in the best possible way. I think you have picked up a real bargain.:):):)
aahhh good the tail stock had me puzzled most other lathes are wheels

orraloon
20th February 2011, 07:54 AM
The tailstock leaver really comes into its own when drilling and really makes this easier. If you can get one of the leady expanding chucks and the cutter for making the recess for mounting the blank then the leaver set up makes this such an easy operation. I use this more than the nova now.However a wheel would be better sometimes like when mounting a blank on a glue block. Still everything is a compromise.
Regards
John