PDA

View Full Version : Rosella Feathers

dai sensei
21st February 2011, 04:19 PM
A poor unfortunate Eastern Rosella must have been hit by a car, we have many differnet types of birds around here, but managed to fly to my driveway before dying. I found it covered in ants and noticed the brightly coloured feathers :rolleyes:.

Waste not want not :wink: I knew there was another use for the pen kit plastic bags :U

gawdelpus
21st February 2011, 06:55 PM
Very nice when your pen supplies crash land in your driveway hehe, sounds like "aussie post" lol. Must be a sign from the gods hehe, I said we needed to make a start on feathers for pens :). cheers ~ John

Simomatra
22nd February 2011, 07:58 AM
Sorry to hear about the bird but at least it did not die in vain, I am sure you will resurrect it in many fine pens. I feed lots of wild birds here but very few feathers.

texx
27th February 2011, 09:03 PM
another 200 and you could make a nice feather pillow .
my granny used to make rosella jam , i dont have the recipe though.

but not being silly , feather is some thing i have yet to try for pens ,its on the to do list volume one .

dai sensei
27th February 2011, 10:50 PM
Here's 3 cast with the yellow & black, and red + yellow, Sierras & EBs, but I obviously need to use more feathers to provide better coverage.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachments/f69/162783d1298806909-feathers-feathers1.jpg

dai sensei
6th March 2011, 06:32 PM
Here's the final pens from my trials, definately need to use more feathers, but that is what learning is all about :U

gawdelpus
6th March 2011, 06:50 PM
I think from the ordered random placement and irregular structure a certain "bohemian" effect has been created, on the other hand ,lol. came out much better than the process and the casts would have indicated at the time :) . Cheers ~ John :2tsup::2tsup:

wheelinround
6th March 2011, 07:00 PM
Neil how many would it take do you reckon I rang my uncle who has a few avaries and asked for those feathers which do come off. Quite a few he has I am told (RB snake around). Even offered me Macaw feathers :D

dai sensei
6th March 2011, 07:02 PM
these are only very small feathers, so took quite a few. You need to overlap them and the little bugg_rs aren't easy to place :- I reckon I get about 3 pens per bag above

wheelinround
6th March 2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks Neil

I saw your other pens in the other thread were the larger easier to do ?

How many did you use of those

Just sent an e-mail to uncle's 2 daughters and grand daughter all whom have birds.:U

dai sensei
6th March 2011, 10:10 PM
The male cockatoo used only one feather, they were very big, just cut the back of the spine off them wrapped them around. The spines were a pain, so on the females, I used either side of the spine and it took 2 feathers.