PDA

View Full Version : Wooden toadsticker

Bubinga
25th November 2004, 05:30 AM
Some guy contracted me to make a wooden dagger for his daughters martial arts practice.
Rick
http://home.comcast.net/~rlandres/Toadsticker.jpg

Zed
25th November 2004, 07:19 AM
she must be a very nice (?) girl....

nice work by the way.... what timber did yo use ?

Bubinga
25th November 2004, 07:48 AM
Thanks Zed, I used African mahogany and Wenge for the blade, and Maple, Cherry, and Walnut for the handle.
Rick

oges
25th November 2004, 07:54 AM
Not sure what she practices with that, but is very nicely done

DPB
25th November 2004, 08:08 AM
:confused: What is a "toadsticker"?

Grunt
25th November 2004, 08:26 AM
What is a "toadsticker"?

Something you stick a toad with.

Termite
25th November 2004, 08:31 AM
Good at a party for the pickled onions and cheese cubes :D

Bubinga
25th November 2004, 08:43 AM
Termite...now that's a great idea. I'm now headed downstairs to make one for myself!

Different
25th November 2004, 10:16 PM
:confused: What is a "toadsticker"?
The northern half of our little island is infested with these dam great poison toads imported from South America last century to control some pest or another and about all they do is kill our native animals. So almost anything sharp and pointy you can kill tha bastards with is a "Toadsticker".
I have always found Golf Clubs work well but you gotta wear goggles to keep the guts out of your eyes!!!!

Ross

Rocker
26th November 2004, 02:11 AM
Different,

The best way of keeping their guts out of your eyes is to use my wife's method of despatching cane toads; give them a squirt of Dettol, and they are dead in 10 seconds, with no mess. But I am sure any cane toad would be proud to be stuck by Bubinga's toadsticker - a work of art.

Rocker

oges
26th November 2004, 06:52 AM
hehe I can just imagine that on the next Dettol ads that come out.

Kris.Parker1
26th November 2004, 03:05 PM
G'day mate, great job. Any chance you could forward some diagrams or plans you may have drawn up or sending me some (in progress) photographs?

Bubinga
26th November 2004, 03:19 PM
G'day mate, great job. Any chance you could forward some diagrams or plans you may have drawn up or sending me some (in progress) photographs?

Sure can, but first I have to inform my customer of the very bad news. Unfortunately, with the law restrictions as well as the potential liability risks, I won't be able to sell the dagger to him. I feel like cr----ap for this, but I have been well advised against selling the dagger:(

Rick

Sturdee
26th November 2004, 04:05 PM
Rick,

With Christmas just around the corner may be you should give them to him as a present and he in turn can return the favour by giving you a gift of say some tools of equivalent value. :D

No selling, no liabilities just generous friends.

Peter.

Bubinga
26th November 2004, 09:56 PM
Good idea Peter, I'm going to have to work something like that out. I find more dangerous looking sticks even while walking through the park.
Rick

bsrlee
26th November 2004, 11:02 PM
Pity you now can't sell letter openers.

Here in NSW things are set to get even stranger, with some people in the Police wanting to have military toys and models declared 'Prohibited Weapons'. So you'd better hide that tacky handgrenade cigarette lighter, joke dynamite clock etc (really!).

RETIRED
26th November 2004, 11:18 PM
What a sad sad world we live in Master Jack.

Kris.Parker1
29th November 2004, 05:00 PM
It is a pity. How sharp are the edges, I know in the NT you can by those Chinese Swords here as long as they have what is known as a dead blade (not sharpened). No there metal not wood, so I can't see any major drama. They still have a pointy end, but then again so does a star picket and tent pegs - go figure.

Bubinga
29th November 2004, 09:50 PM
Kris, I just emailed you. I will get you some progress photos.
I have also decided to send the customer the knife. He lives in a state where such things aren't prohibited, and he said that he will sign a waiver for any liability. I really didn't want him dissappointed this close to Christmas as it is a gift for his daughter.
Rick