PDA

View Full Version : Handles ?.

issatree
24th February 2011, 05:41 PM
Hi all,
Have a few Allen Keys, the short Right Angle Type, & I know you can make Handles for them, to make them a " T " Type, but for the life of me I can't think of how to make them.
I sure they can be made from 19mm.Dowel or similar.
Be pleased if someone has a bit of a Sketch or Plan.

BobL
24th February 2011, 06:36 PM
Hi all,
Have a few Allen Keys, the short Right Angle Type, & I know you can make Handles for them, to make them a " T " Type, but for the life of me I can't think of how to make them.
I sure they can be made from 19mm.Dowel or similar.
Be pleased if someone has a bit of a Sketch or Plan.

I usually use a piece of ally pipe in which I cut a lengthwise slot half way down the pipe so the short part of the handle can slide down the slot and partially poke thru the tube end. One handle generally covers a range of Allen Key sizes.

I've all turned up some wooden handled ones as well.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=104036&stc=1&d=1241241860

BobL
25th February 2011, 01:17 AM
Yep ally is aluminium.

Here's how I do the wooden ones.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=162503&stc=1&d=1298556574
1) Turn up handle to a suitable size.
2) Drill hole in middle half way through
3) Drill one end half way through till it meets hole #2
4) Using a small fine saw like a Japanese saw with curved toothed end, cut along dotted white line. It's difficult to get all the way into the junction of the two holes but you should be able to get close enough to pop the strip of wood out with a chisel without mangling it too much.
5) Insert Allen key
6) Glue wooden strip back into place.
Sometimes I make a new strip to better fill the gap or I add an extra small strip of wood sandpapered down to to fill the gap left by the saw kerf, but I have made them without doing this - just glue the original strip.

munruben
25th February 2011, 08:39 PM
Neat:2tsup: