PDA

View Full Version : I just want that one....

tonyhart
25th November 2004, 07:40 PM
I recently visited the two major western Sydney suppliers of woodwork machinery with the purpose of buying a new table saw. I don't want all the bells and whistles, and wanted to stay under $1000 so a contractors style saw with dust collection and reasonable build quality was all I was after. Researched on the net and reviewed this forum and came up with a few options. The results at each of the suppliers was staggeringly different.

Supplier number 1 - really didn't want to bother selling a $1000 saw. I "really" needed the $1500, high horsepower 170kg toe crusher. I was directly told that one sub $1000 model saw was "useless", and the other was not recommended. When I commented that the cost of blades, rewiring and associated cursing trying to move the thing was not acceptable to me my concerns were ignored. One model saw advertised online and in the catalogue was not known to the saleman. Looking up the 2003 catalogue doesn't help either. After some discussion with another store dweller the information was obtained but alas, none were available. Of the other saws on display, only the monster was available and the others would need to be purchased as floor displays. I couldn't even get them to run the saw ( I want something fairly quiet )

Supplier number 2 - helpful, let me lift the bonnet and kick the tyres. I wasn't shadowed around the shop, they answered my questions and checked stock supply immediately. One model is not available - they gave me an honest answer on when supply was expected. The model I wanted was in stock thankfully and the floor display was powered up and I ran some timber through it.

No surprise as to which supplier got the sale.....

Have any others out there suffered a similar experience? Or is this just a one off example of being in the wrong place with the wrong salesman at the wrong time.

Tony

craigb
25th November 2004, 08:14 PM
Duuno mate. You'd have to name names.

tonyhart
25th November 2004, 08:42 PM
Supplier 1 - Carba-Tec. And I have bought a fair amount of stuff from them in the past and will continue to because of the range of handtools and accesories they stock but .....

Supplier 2 - Hare and Forbes. I seem to end up here whenever I need to get some of the bigger pieces of equipment. You know, the sought of stuff that forces the car to be left outside the garage. I began to call it a workshop instead and built a carport. You just have to get your priorities right ...

Tony

oges
25th November 2004, 08:50 PM
Only dealt with with Sup 1 once and had no problems with them.

Not been to Sup 2, might go to their sale as im thinking of getting a mid sized bandsaw.

craigb
25th November 2004, 09:31 PM
As with Oges, have bought from #1. No real problems

Have also bought from MWE. Also no probs.

Have had no delaings with H&F. Haven't really heard any negative comments though.

bsrlee
25th November 2004, 09:35 PM
Carbatec - you mst have been spotted by the salesman I hate to see - he's always pushy. trying to sell unsuitable stuff & talk me out of buying what I do want. When in-store the only way I have found is to try to avoid him, find what I want myself, then front up to the counter goods in hand. The other blokes are fine, even remember my name, but this bloke just seems to get up my nose.

Iain
25th November 2004, 09:56 PM
H&F I find are good, had dealings with them inMelb, the salesman was not familiar with WW gear but had the balls to admit it.
We went through the manuals and looked at the gear, tried a few adjustments and fine tuning operations.
I bought the gear and the sales staff acquired some insight, it was a good experience.
We parted on good terms and a price was negotiated.
After my last carbatec experience this was a refreshing change, I'm not saying that H&F don't know what they are talking about, just the bloke I got was a metalworker, the WW man was not available and he had the enthusiasm to learn and improve his own knowledge.
It is a pleasant experience to be able to teach sales staff something and their willingness to learn rather than the pig headed holier than thou attitude.

Sturdee
25th November 2004, 10:09 PM
.......No surprise as to which supplier got the sale.....

Have any others out there suffered a similar experience? Or is this just a one off example of being in the wrong place with the wrong salesman at the wrong time.

Tony

Why is it that I guessed the names of both suppliers correctly. :D Different city and same result.

Peter.

silentC
26th November 2004, 09:15 AM
I always go to H&F Sydney first. Bought most of my machines from them. Have found their prices the best, good service and they leave you alone in the showroom unless you ask for assistance. Also had dealings with their service department and found them helpful too. Rang for a replacement part one day, it arrived in the post the next day no charge.

Wongo
26th November 2004, 09:17 AM
Supplier 1 - Carba-Tec

Supplier 2 - Hare and Forbes.
Tony

Bingo. I got 2 out of 2. :cool:

outback
26th November 2004, 07:53 PM
You blokes are getting carried away. I mean naming supplier one was a give away. Who else was it going to be. Naming number two required more thought.
Which reminds me, I must ring MIK and place an order for a couple of complete inconsequential things. None the less, I need them, and I want them now. :)