PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy Repairs

mat
26th November 2004, 11:40 AM
I have a mirror sailing boat with a leak around the centreboard case. It seems that expoxy is the way to go but what type. I have seen a stick form where the "activator" is kneeded into the main component but liquid forms also exist. Any advice gratefully received.

barnsey
26th November 2004, 01:25 PM
For a centreboard case to leak I'd be wary of rot or some other problem. Epoxy is a way to go - might even suggest fiberglassing the area for reinforcement. ;)

I would suspect that the joins have probably come adrift through trying to right the dinghy after it turned turtle??? :rolleyes:

If you think that may have had a part in it, look at the case support to ensure it is still intact. ;)

If you are not a past fiberglasser - Bunnies have kits at a moderate price that will do your job.

Hope this helps

Jamie

John Kinnane
26th November 2004, 01:48 PM
Mat, I would clean out the area you suspect and let it dry out. Then make an epoxy putty using epoxy resin mixed with fine sanding dust. I use the powder out of my sanding disc. Keep adding dust til the epoxy has a consistency of peanut butter. Apply the putty around the fin case smoothing it with round edge to make a smooth fillet. You could add fiberglass tape over the fillet but it is probably not neccessary. Only use epoxy resin not polyester.

Daddles
27th November 2004, 10:16 AM
John, with a break like this, would it be a good idea to brush unthickened epoxy into the break first? I'd mix the goo, brush in unthickened, then thicken the rest and fillet. The idea being that the thin stuff will then wet the whole joint, hopefully seeping into the end grain of the broken ply (if any).

Richard

John Kinnane
27th November 2004, 11:27 AM
:o Sorry, missed that important first step. Thanks for pointing it out Richard.

journeyman Mick
27th November 2004, 03:00 PM
....... Keep adding dust til the epoxy has a consistency of peanut butter.......

That's smooth, not crunchy. ;) :D

Mick

mat
29th November 2004, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the replies. I bought the boat second hand so I don't really know the history re capsize and additional stresses on the centreboard.

sinjin1111
18th May 2005, 10:21 AM
If the case is damaged. And therefore leaking i would simply pull the case out.
Open up all the joints and fill with 5 minute epoxy. Close the joints and clamp. Plenty of glue you want it oozing out.

In the bottom of the hull. Use a disc sander to carefully remove all the paint or varnish. Around where the case used to be for a distance of approx 150mm in all directions. Then mask a neat rectangle with masking tape approx 150mm in all directions again. So basically you have neatly sanded floor area around the case with a masking tape boarder. Then lay 4 layers of 10 oz f/g cloth over this area and wet with epoxy. Before you do this once the centerboard case has dried remove all the excess epoxy or paint or whatever that may stop good contact with the bottom of the hull. Now wet out the epoxy cloth. Wet the floor area lay a sheet then another and and so on. Then place yr case back over the wet cloth. Prop the case with some heavy weight on top of the case while the epoxy dries. Also make sure it sitting dead true. Once you feel the epoxy has gone off then carefully run a knife along the masking tape line and peel off the extra cloth. If the case is set quite rigidly after awhile flip the hull over and run a triming bit on yr router back thru the case slot. You will find the extra layers of cloth will have filled all the small voids you may have received when you took out the case.
Flip your hull back over again and sand around the case and recoat the epoxy so it looks neat. Clean up the top of the case reglue yr thwart.
and mums the word.
It used to take me from start to finish to repair a case repair in similar conditions to yrs one day start to finish. Need any more help just ask.
Sinjin

mat
18th May 2005, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the reply sinjin. The repairs have already be done but as a wooden boat that the kids knock around I am sure plenty more repairs will be needed in the future.