PDA

View Full Version : koi fish bowl and picture frame

bobman 58
3rd March 2011, 06:44 PM
hi heres a koi fish bowl and picture frame i made recently thanks for looking

Ironwood
3rd March 2011, 07:13 PM
Beautiful work, I especially like the picture frame.

artme
6th March 2011, 06:53 PM
They are pretty specil pieces Kel!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Woodmouse
8th March 2011, 12:31 AM
Excellent work, the picture frame is my favourite.

Cub
29th April 2011, 09:13 PM
I used to own some koi myself a while back, and they look strikingly similar, good on you for making some beautiful pieces.
Can't wait to see what you make next :2tsup:

GregM
4th May 2011, 03:50 PM
Very nice work - love the photo frame!

Goonyella
13th May 2011, 09:09 PM
Very nice work. Like the picture frame.

LiliB
15th May 2011, 06:08 PM
Hi Kelrob
I love both these pieces, but like everyone else, think the picture frame is gorgeous. Isn't it so good to be able to use intarsia as an embellishment, rather than just as say a wall plaque. I even think it would be very useful to put pieces onto children's furniture to give a bespoke touch to them.

I have just ordered a heap of plans from an Australian site, and intend at least one of the patterns to be used on the doors of my newly finished perfume wall cabinet. It is a design intended to be used on a mirror, but it's just as effective on something else.

Cheers
LiliB
:U:U:U

bobman 58
24th May 2011, 06:48 AM
thanks everyone for your kind comments

rogerjenkins
6th June 2011, 08:50 PM
Intarsia here in OZ seems to have a very small fan club compared to the USA market,- could be because it is not very well promoted, although from the quality of the work I have seen on this thread, and on the Fantastic Woodworking site there are some very skilled artisians here in OZ, therefore both myself and my young offsider, are about to give it a go during the up-coming July school holidays here is South Australia. Normally we are wooden toymakers,- but this Intarsia looks more challenging, and more fun, as have already downloaded some sample patterns from Fantastic Woodworking, plus about to buy the Intarsia down Under Book as well. After we have had a bit of practice we may even try out our own ideas. Jesse is 13 yrs of age, & yr.8 at Minlaton High School, also have another friend's 15yr. old daughter, who is a born artist, and she has expressed interest at giving Intarsia a go too, therefore in the coming months there may be some interesting photos being shown on this thread.:)
Roger

Goonyella
7th June 2011, 06:24 PM
Good on you Roger. I hope you and your offsiders enjoy doing intarsia. I enjoy it because I get to use all sorts of different timbers. The end result is pretty good as well. I look forward to seeing your future posts.

rogerjenkins
16th June 2011, 11:20 PM
Yep,- Have some interesting ideas featuring Intarsia coming up on the drawingboard,- Got one client who wants something, " uniquely Australian," to add to his new home bar as a conversation piece, and have found just the thing in the Intarsia Down Under Book,- the Lazy Kanga.:) Have another client who is a model railroader,- ON30 scale, which is 1:48 scale so I have been informed, and he has asked me to invent some suitable 3-D backgounds for his layout,- I was stuck for ideas till I discovered Intarsia, which from doing a bit of research on several USA Intarsia sites can be utilized for the creation of 3-D type landscapes, seascapes, seaport backgrounds, or whatever, using all different types of timbers, which has given me some interesting ideas to test out featuring Australana scenery.
Another option I have considered too, ( readers advice welcome ), is where one has difficulty obtaining different natural timbers,- how would the use of quality Woodstains go for applying suitable colours to Intarsia Projects before the assembly process ??
I have about 20 something years background in furniture restoration, and have picked up a few, ( just a few ), tricks of the trade using woodstains that the average person has difficulty noticing. Been testing out a few different finishing techniques using the free Dolphin Pattern from Fantasticwoodworking.com by cutting the dolphin from a nicely-grained piece of pine, and after the shaping, & final sanding has been completed applying a nice woodstain colour to the upper half before assembly. Everyone to date who has seen my workmanship has asked me one question, " Where did you get the timber from ? ":)
With the mid-year school holidays coming up, and my two young offsiders to help me,- who knows what we will come up with :!:!:!
Happy woodworking,
Roger