PDA

View Full Version : Why are Australian retailers such A.holes?

Pete F
4th March 2011, 08:15 PM
Sorry, but a bit of a whinge to get it off my chest, BUT also a bit of a "heads up".

Some time ago I bought some things from a machinery retailer, including what I thought was a wire wheel for my 8" grinder. I got it home only to discover the box size was a little deceiving and it was in fact a 6" wheel, so too small for my grinder. No problem I thought, next time I'm there I'll simply exchange it for the correct one for my grinder, and I put it aside. Well the weeks turned to months and finally today I went out there to buy a chuck, wire wheel in hand ready to exchange. Of course over the intervening period I've thrown the receipt away but didn't think there would be any issue. The box was perfect and the company price tag still boldly displayed.

I thought MAYBE if they wanted to be difficult they would say, sorry no refund because we don't know if perhaps it was on special etc etc, but you can exchange it for the correct one and pay the difference. I would have been happy with that. Instead the attitude was "Tough mate!" So for the sake of a $21 wire wheel they could just throw back on the shelf and would cost them absolutely NOTHING they have a off customer. In fact they would have made more money as presumably the larger wheel was more expensive.

Now perhaps I'm being unreasonable, but I'll say one thing, there is no way in heck I'd ever strike this situation in the US, where retailers actually seem to understand what it means to look after the customer. For 21 bucks it's not worth fussing over, but I'll vote with my feet and as if I wasn't already resistant to buy over-priced tooling from that organisation, there is no way in heck I will now! I wonder if they were also one of the companies bitching about people buying goods from overseas!

EDITED: Removed company name

neksmerj
4th March 2011, 08:50 PM
I reckon it's complacency, laziness, and lack of training. It's far easier to say "rigamortis poo poos, we've got your dough, now off", than to say "let's see if I can help".

Not all retailers are like this of course. I was in retail for a while with a vested interest in the business.
It was far more rewarding to go out of my way helping someone, and have that customer return, again and again.

I reckon if the bloke behind the jump is paid a measly wage, you'll get measly service. You would think that a large company like the company you mentioned would train their staff to be courteous. Who knows?

Ken

Grommett
4th March 2011, 09:06 PM
Its sad isn't it. Experiences like that send people like me to the internet.

Anorak Bob
4th March 2011, 09:15 PM
Come on Pete,

Given your access to alternatives, shopping wise, you shouldn't have even gone there.

I've only bought a single light at the same company but I was shocked at how expensive their tooling was compared with online prices. If I do buy machine stuff locally, it's usually from the shop where I have bought the majority of my machines.

I got dicked around by another distributor when I tried to buy a single collet nut. They couldn't be bothered. I ended up buying it on Ebay. The source of 95% of my tooling and odds and ends.

Why buy steeply marked up Chinese or sub continental goods locally when you can purchase items of high quality online for less.

BT

neksmerj
4th March 2011, 09:38 PM
BT,

How right you are. For example, from CTCtools, a 50mm boring head with boring bars and arbor is around $65.75. A 50mm boring head with boring bars from the company you mentioned is $180 plus a further $85 for the arbor.

Maybe the unit from the company you mentioned is solid platinum encrusted with diamonds, and the set from CTCtools is made of plasticine, I don't think so. Correspondence with Heine at CTC is courteous and swift.

The likes of the company you mentioned will be catering more to the green man that walks in off the street. They know what they have to do counteract this, she'll be right mate, next week we'll look into it.

In the mean time, we are the winners buying offshore. I wouldn't say this if stuff we want is made in Australia, but sadly it isn't.

Ken

EDITED: Removed Company name

watson
4th March 2011, 10:06 PM
Just a little note. I know its good to get a bad deal off your chest...but please be careful about naming names.
If you really want to know the company name......PM the OP.

Anorak Bob
4th March 2011, 10:11 PM
Editing aside, if you really want to lament the loss of Australian tool manufacturing, open up an old McPhersons catalogue. You'll be wiping your eyes.:no:

China
4th March 2011, 10:27 PM
Trust me it is the same in the US, there is good and bad in everthing unfortunatly when you discover the bad it is usually too late

Pete F
4th March 2011, 10:29 PM
Yes well it's not just the price of course. I think sometimes it's a little unfair to compare what an online retailer sells its products for compared to a bricks and mortar retailer who needs to keep the goods in stock ... and provide service. The reason I specifically mentioned the retailer is because maybe someone from there will read this, or word will get back. I don't know, but one can but try.

Mind you the whole experience there left me with the feeling I couldn't get out of there fast enough. It began with the sales guy all but accusing me of lying about the price of the TOS chuck I was there to buy. I saw one on the "discount table" (ie only 200% more for damaged stock compared to what one would pay O/S for perfect stock) and asked if it had outside jaws? He picked up a new one in a box and told me they were 400 bucks. I suggested that price wasn't right, to which he replied, and I quote, "says who?". "Says your web site", I said, "I believe they're on special for $250". Begrudgingly he wandered to the counter and told me "they're $250 including GST!". "Well yes, that's what I said, $250!" :(( Then we went through the wire wheel nonsense. Then I thought I'd pick up some surface grinding wheels and just get shafted on the expected price. "Don't sell them". Oh ok, but you sell surface grinders? So you mean to tell me you sell the surface grinders but not the wheels to go with them :doh:. "Well we sell nail guns, but don't sell nails". "No, but I can go to any HARDWARE store if I want nail gun nails can't I" :(( By this stage I'm getting a bit . I thought I may be able to jemmy some enthusiasm from the gentleman if I asked about T&C grinders and he thought he may be able to sell me a new machine. That didn't work either :p

Bob, yes you're right, I rarely ever buy tooling in Oz, this was just a reminder as to why. However in this case I was there to buy a lathe 3 jaw chuck and even a little 5" is still not real light. However next time they can stick it and I'll simply have even heavier goods freighted in!

I'd like to support the Aussie retailers, but I refuse to be treated like either an annoying distraction to whatever goofing around they were doing before I walked in, nor a thief out to rip them off. The little "incident" with the wire wheel simply illustrated they're not interested in providing service.

So let's add it up. Rude, unhelpful staff. -poor customer service if the product is incorrect. Finally, outrageously expensive prices. Remind me again why I should shop there :((

BTW Mr Hairy Forbes, I didn't exactly have to stand in a queue to get into the store either!!

Pete F
4th March 2011, 10:34 PM
Trust me it is the same in the US, there is good and bad in everthing unfortunatly when you discover the bad it is usually too late

No I can't agree with that. I've done a lot of shopping in the US over the years and, while of course there are exceptions, find the customer service almost the polar opposite to Australian retailers. I wish my experience today was an exception.

BTW why shouldn't I be able to name the retailer. It's not some rumour I heard, I had the experience first hand. But as a hint it's probably the best known retailer for tooling to private individuals and has an outlet in most states of Australia

Greg Q
4th March 2011, 11:36 PM
When I got my first retail job in Canada back in 1971 my boss instructed me that customers weren't looking for a product per se, rather, they were looking for a solution. So we were trained to read as much as possible in magazines, the manufacturer's literature etc. My boss wanted us to be solution experts, even if that meant directing the customer elsewhere when we didn't sell the best product.

I sold skis in Sears...I took the time with customers, got them what they needed or gave them the contact details of the better shops. It was called "customer service" back then. (Traded my paycheque for Craftsman tools)

I went to the retailer you (censored mentioned) once, and once only. I will never ever go there again. In fact I took a picture of the salesman, then told him that if I could ever arrange for him to get ####ed, he should count on getting ####ed.

The internet gives information. Use it to your advantage. Maybe the current segment leader will go bust and then we'll get a home-grown dealer who cares about the local market.

Anorak Bob
4th March 2011, 11:43 PM
"In fact I took a picture of a the salesman, then told him that if I could
ever arrange for him to get ####ed, he should count on getting ####ed."

Thanks a lot Greg. The coffee just came out my nose!!!

Pete F
4th March 2011, 11:45 PM
The trouble is, while I know I sometimes have a weird way of going about it, I actually deep down would like this retailer to do well. I would like to be able to walk into a physical store, see the goods, chat to a friendly knowledgeable sales person, feel like I have paid a fair price, know that if I have a problem I could go back and they'd help me out. But I didn't experience even ONE of those things. However sometimes I think SOMETHING is better than nothing, and if they went broke (as they surely will if my experience was anything like the norm), then there is a void left there. Are my expectations really so far removed from reality in this country?

Greg Q
4th March 2011, 11:53 PM
The trouble is, while I know I sometimes have a weird way of going about it, I actually deep down would like this retailer to do well. I would like to be able to walk into a physical store, see the goods, chat to a friendly knowledgeable sales person, feel like I have paid a fair price, know that if I have a problem I could go back and they'd help me out. But I didn't experience even ONE of those things. However sometimes I think SOMETHING is better than nothing, and if they went broke (as they surely will if my experience was anything like the norm), then there is a void left there. Are my expectations really so far removed from reality in this country?

No Pete, I think you are the right wavelength*
*does anyone say that anymore?

Anyway...I'd pay more for a local retailer as you describe. One not staffed by people who are one parole hearing away from more hard time. One where the customer is, if not cherished, then at least not scorned and insulted. We live in a high pay/high cost country. I'd rather someone local has a job, but I am not going to eat shyte to provide it. The alternatives are just too easy, and too cheap.

neksmerj
5th March 2011, 12:02 AM
Love, love it, good to hear that at least some Aussies, and the occasional Canadian, stand up for what's expected, instead of saying, she'll be right, mate.

Well, she won't be right be mate, unless you fix it. We are not indubitably pusillanimous.

Says he choking on a glass of medicine, tears streaming down the cheek. Love it, love it.

Ken

Greg Q
5th March 2011, 12:18 AM
and the occasional Canadian,

Ken

Not me mate. Australia Day, 1995. I was the twat in the suit. Fair Dinkum.
отсутствие дерьма

neksmerj
5th March 2011, 12:31 AM
отсутствие дерьма

Many translations for this expression, just to quote one

Ничто так не увеличивает количество дерьма, как отсутствие цензуры.
Nothing so increases the amount of crap as the lack of censorship.

Reckon we are drifting off topic, so, it's late and the weekend is upon us, have a good one.

Me

Greg Q
5th March 2011, 12:37 AM
Yup. Good night to all. I'm in SYD on Mardi-Gras weekend. Going to go out and commandeer a float. Look for me in tomorrow's papers:wink::D

Dave J
5th March 2011, 01:04 AM
Hi Pete, your not the only one to have had troubles.
As for " I didn't exactly have to stand in a queue to get into the store either!! ":rofl:

I would have asked for the manager, in Sydney the manager is Matt or his cousin Brad who has a lot of pull and is the buying manager.

If the salesman really wanted to help you he could have looked your name up on the computer, as every time I am there they ask my name and address and type it into the computer.
You are so lucky it was only $21, as my mill stuff up was in the several thousands and after having to pay another $1000 to exchange it because the new model came with a DRO (which I already had already bought elsewhere) I am still not happy with it. I know it is not entirely their fault but they are selling it and advertised it as "a quality manufacturer sold for many years", which I notice has been removed from their ad for this mill now.

I am not sure how many people have read my posts on forums over the past few years and been put off buying this type of mill because of the problems with my mill, but I have had 4 different people PM me through this and another forum asking about my mill and all have been put off and bought elsewhere. Word of mouth and the internet makes it a small world.

As for returning gear I had a $250 10 inch 4 jaw chuck that I only opened and looked at when I bought it. When it came time to use it I found it had 1 x 8 inch chuck jaw in it which fitted perfectly but didn't engage with the screw as it was not as deep. I only found out it was a 8 inch jaw after trying it in one of my other 8 inch chucks.
This was 6 - 10 months after I had bought it and I rang them up told and the salesman about the jaw and how much I had spent their recently. He looked me up on the computer and asked if I had used it. I said no as it was unusable the way it was, and he said it was OK to exchange it over. I gave it to my nephew while he was visiting as he lives in Sydney and he had no troubles exchanging it over for me.

The last time I was their I grabbed 10 band saw blades, went to the checkout where the guy at the counter scanned one and then removed 3 and said they where sold. I said they are not sold as I just got them off the shelf and was from Newcastle and wasn't paying extra for not buying the 10 for $100 or driving back down for 3 blades, he replied the computer said these where sold this morning but the order filling people hadn't come around to collect them.
By this time I was furious and asked to speak to someone higher which he went and got Brad . He came out and asked what the problem was. After the guy told him, he turned to him and said their are a few hundred in stock that aren't on the computer yet and said I could take all 10.
Their was a lot of cheap gear on tables from the sale the week before and I had taken $500 with me to buy some gear. I asked if he would still honor the sale price on some other things that where not on the table but in the sale catalog, and his reply was the sale is over. When I questioned him about all the gear on the tables still being cheaper his reply was the sale is over?
This may have been the same guy that served you.

It wasn't until I got home, I realized that he charged me for 2 x $15 ratchet tap wrenches instead of one, so I range them up and spoke to Matt. He was trying to work out how to refund the cash when I told him about the service I got on the day and wanting to buy some gear out of the catalog, he didn't seem impressed. I then suggested he send me a band saw blade or something, so he offered 2 blades sent up to me for the stuff up instead. The band saw blades are $11 each plus postage to Newcastle so i am not complaining.

Just goes to show this salesman was arrogant and not wanting to be helpful at all. I also think he doubled up on the tap wrench on purpose after getting caught out with the boss about the blades.

I agree with you about having a local store, as I always like to look before I buy or look around at other things and get to pick them up and check them out.
At the prices they are asking you would expect to have salesman know what they are talking about and be able to recommend things to you and show you how things work etc.
When you go to a car sales at least they half know what they are talking about not down their. I know from experience going in the Sydney store, your on your own.

Another time I was down their I had not had a salesman come near me, so I grabbed what I was after and bought and paid for a bag of gear.
I was with my wife and 2 grand children and remembered I wanted to look at how they had the knee handle safety switch set up on the larger mills to convert mine before leaving.
Not sure whether it was because I have a pony tail and 2 armfuls of tats, but I was kneeling down under the mill with my wife and grand children looking on. While I was having a look at the set up a salesman appeared from nowhere in a shirt and tie (the old main office as my wife told me latter) and asked if I was right. I told him I was fine and had already bought a mill earlier from them and had grabbed a bag of gear today but just wanted to checkout how the knee power feed switch was setup and he replied pointing the X axis power feed "the power feed is here". I replied that was the X axis feed and I was interested in the knee feed safety switch to convert mine over. He stood their making us feel uncomfortable as though I was going to steal something off it and didn't leave until we all did.
I was amazed that after being their for an hour before hand shopping around no one had come near us, then all of a sudden we have an office guy their. I did think about ringing the manager when I got home but didn't think it would do any good.

As you can see from my experiences it can go either way when buying from them. I really do think they need to teach the staff about machines, tools and customer care, as their prices are already so high compared to the rest of the world, and like you and me people only need 1 bad experience and will go elsewhere.

Thats my rant over, though I could fill a few pages on my troubles with the mills I have received, never again.:doh: I would rather buy a good second hand one.

Dave

Anorak Bob
5th March 2011, 02:25 AM
We've all been dicked around buying stuff here in the past and it's sure to get worse in the future. Not all my experiences have been negative.

About 8 years ago I bought the first of my four machines made by Hercus. It was a 9" lathe. About six months after buying the lathe I had ventured down a driveway next to some industrial units looking for a joinery (doors for the house). The joinery was long gone but what I did find was an old Kiwi bloke who made rock breaking equipment. What initially caught my eye was a Ward No 10 turret lathe (a hard thing to miss) in the doorway of his shop. Amongst a trove of treasures was a South Bend Light Ten that he had purchased new 40 years earlier. On a shelf I recognized a Hercus milling attachment for a nine inch lathe. He had bought it for the Light Ten. I asked him if he minded me taking some photos and some dimensions (a lot) of the attachment. He said I should try contacting Hercus to see if any of the parts were still available. I did and they were. Everything bar the tee slotted table, which I made.

That was the start of a rewarding relationship with F W Hercus and in particular, Steve Durden, the manager of Hercus Transmission Products. I have purchased quite a bit of gear for both my lathes and my little No.O mill over the intervening years and it has always been a pleasure dealing with anyone that I have spoken to at Hercus. I have discussed with Steve, Peter Hercus and a couple of the fitters, matters relating to my machines and general machining and have always received welcolmed advice. One Saturday I rang on the off chance that Steve was there and the phone was answered by one of the older blokes doing maintenance of some of their machinery. I had a query regarding machining for a press fit and was provided with exactly the information that I needed.

There are other firms like Hercus out there, the trick is finding them.

Bob.

.RC.
5th March 2011, 08:00 AM
I buy most of my tooling consumables from overseas now as well... I care little about our retailers as they don't sell locally made products, so why bother supporting them... it is not like retailing is an industry that will move the country forward...

Pete F
5th March 2011, 09:33 AM
Bob, I agree with Hercus, I have also found Steve very helpful. However it just goes to demonstrate the point, they're not really a retailer, they just happen to sometimes retail old stock off. The TRUE retailers, the ones who are supposed to be there to find solutions to the customer's problems, they don't want to know about us! I really notice the difference between Australia and many foreign countries when it comes to returning goods (incidentally it's no real surprise that the real big retailers, ie US owned, are typically much better in this regard). In the US they're often very apologetic, certainly in a situation where the product has failed, and it's almost a "no questions asked" here's your refund/exchange blanket policy. In Australia, with MUCH higher retail markups than the US, I almost always get the feeling the retailer is trying to come up with reasons why they shouldn't replace/refund an incorrect or broken item, and when all possible excuses are exhausted they then begrudgingly do the right thing ... albeit with the attitude that you've just taken their first born son. Don't get me wrong, returning goods is not something I make a habit of, typically if a purchase breaks I'll just shrug my shoulders and fix it myself. But I have literally stood in some stores over the years with the shop manager basically accusing ME of breaking something that was clearly faulty from the outset, just so the store didn't have to exchange it. The most bizarre part about the whole thing is that it's not like it comes out of the retailer's pocket. If the product is faulty it gets returned to the distributor. In the case I gave above, the retailer would have actually made MORE money if they'd exchanged it :doh: I get the impression it's as much a "power trip" by the person you're dealing with, they want to be able to "get one" on the customer. What a bizarre culture we have in that regard.

Greg gave a example of what he was taught when he was in retail. The one I was given when I worked in retail was "The customer isn't a distraction from your job, they're the reason for it!". I try to resist quoting that each time I'm left standing on a showroom floor watching the staff try to not make eye contact so they can continue goofing off with each other while pretending they haven't seen me.

Pete

watson
5th March 2011, 10:08 AM
Me again,
To save me floating about doing edits here & there, and generally mucking up my day, I'll just point you all to the Forum rules here:
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f90/while-youre-read-too-33200/

I'm outa here.

Pete F
5th March 2011, 01:30 PM
Good call Noel, a good business is always encouraging feedback, both positive and negative and using negative feedback to further improve their business. But it's rather clear than some of the businesses we're discussing aren't of that mindset and would be precisely the type to instigate legal action rather than fixing the actual problem. It's not worth losing one's house over, so edit away. I think we can all figure out who is who retailer wise and can make purchase decisions based on the information provided and filling in the gaps for ourselves. I was a little surprised however to read that so many other members have had similar experiences with this particular retailer, so if legal action against a minnow board member was the solution in their mind I'd suggest they have bigger fish to fry with regard their own future.

Grahame Collins
5th March 2011, 02:10 PM
It appears to me guys that sooner or later company x will be a victim of the own willingness not to provide optimums in the field of hobby enginnering.

Once they were a reasonable company to deal with but there seemed to be a major change in attitude towards their customers about the mid 90.s

It is sad that sooner or later there will be jobs that will be lost.

Maybe I am way wrong and the Aussie hobby engineering community will continue to buy the same level of less than average quality machinery and accept the same lack of service and disinterest in after sales service as now,but do not think so.

Who knows what it is but the management appear not to be hearing what their customers are complaining about.

I will continue support those retailers who show interest in my problems even to paying a touch more than else where because I get the after sales service and care which is far more valuable than initial cost of the goods.

Pete F
5th March 2011, 03:46 PM
Well, it just keeps getting better! I bought a TOS chuck yesterday and seeing just how "good" their service was ... or wasn't carefully checked the jaws, mounting bolts, and key were in the box. Turns out the wrong sized mounding bolts were supplied :((

Master Splinter
5th March 2011, 04:01 PM
You get the occasional bad US retailer - read how David Thorne decided to help one such place boost their business....

http://www.27bslash6.com/f4s.html

AlexHW
5th March 2011, 08:03 PM
I completely agree, companies really need to start investing more into customer service rather then cutting back on it.

neksmerj
5th March 2011, 09:02 PM
MS,

That is priceless.

Ken

jatt
6th March 2011, 09:35 AM
I'm pretty fortunate in that I dont have to try and remember vast amounts of info about a shop full of various pieces of kit. However the whole customer service thing applies regardless. You aint as likely to come back and spend a bucket load if the previous experience was crap. With me I would just buy a few small items for the sake of convenience or in a moment of desperation. Fortunately for me my experiences so far with this company have been ok. I do spend much of my day dealing with customers over the fone an in person. At times it can be tough, especially if they are already off about something. If things havent gone to plan then its a case of what can I do to at least partially appease them. One can usually tell in my line of work if they are trying to deceive me or not. In some cases I have directed a customer to somewhere else. One soon figures out repudiable firms that specialise in jobs we dont normally get into, especially if I know they will do the same for me. To a point some retail outlets can do the same on items they dont carry. At all times it pays to remember customer are paying the bills for my toy fettish!!!! One may lose a few bucks on something at times but word of mouth is king and is the cheapest form of advertising.

Groggy
6th March 2011, 09:53 AM
A few years ago there was a similar thread to this one. Poor service, high prices etc ...

Later in that thread it turned into more of a price discussion and there were a number of people who said they get the advice from the 'service' stores then go and buy from the cheapest (Green Borg price match).

Yes, there are some poor service stores, but the behaviour of the buyers does not always encourage quality service either.

Pete F
6th March 2011, 10:36 AM
Groggy, that's very true, and I think it's rather bad form. But in this instance there was no danger of information overload coming from the person "assisting" me I can assure you!

With this exchange the item was essentially brand new, the only difference was that instead of taking it out of the box to confirm the size in the store (as I should have) I took it out the box when I got home. The guy in the store said, "Well we can't exchange it because ..." and stopped mid sentence, that seemingly being as much information as he was prepared to divulge in one day's effort. "Because what?" I encouraged, hoping for some insight apparently up there with the meaning of life. "... errr ... because the manager isn't here to approve it" was his revelation. That the store "managers" have so little faith in their employees that they can't trust them to exchange a 21 buck wire wheel for another and charge the customer the difference in price possibly says more about how the business is run than anything I can say about it!

rfurzer
6th March 2011, 10:57 AM
I have had the infuriating experience of taking an item from the shelf and being told that it was already sold. That was in sydney

I did buy a lathe from the melbourne store and found that the service was ok. The ad said that the lathe included "live and dead centres". No live centre came but they sent one when I faxed them a copy of the ad from their website.

The fwd/rev switch wasnt correctly installed and the starter capacitor failed but they replaced the parts and paid for the sparky.

I am not filled with a desire to buy anything else from them 'tho

And totally agree with the cost of tooling etc- I can get stuff from CDCO at less than half the price and with better advice and service

Groggy
6th March 2011, 01:21 PM
Pete and others, my comments were not aimed at anyone here, I was just balancing the views by being a devil's advocate.

I often spend a bit more on an item because the small trader will give a lot more information which ultimately makes the deal better value for money. I use uBeaut stuff because it works for me and Neil always is available to provide advice. Likewise with Festool stuff from Ideal Tools, fair prices and great support. For most other project stuff I try to use Get Woodworking (a small business run by the owner). His stuff is always a bit dearer than the big guys but he is nearby and provides a ton of experience and very practical advice.

I am sure the advice I receive more than makes up for the extra tool costs by avoiding wastage and rework, or saving me time.

I went to a large specialty tool store yesterday (red one) and said I wanted to look at a "Festool belt sander". The sales guy led me away from the power tools into the machinery section then said "I don't think we have one" - he was looking at linishers. He then wandered away and left me there. :doh:

Pete F
6th March 2011, 02:44 PM
Pete and others, my comments were not aimed at anyone here, I was just balancing the views by being a devil's advocate

No I think your point was a good one as some people do precisely what you say, go to a store, check out the product, and ask questions. All the while with no intentions of ever buying it from the store but rather off the internet. That's just not fair. What's even worse, is then going to the retailer when something later goes wrong and expecting free service and support!

cookie48
6th March 2011, 03:36 PM
I went to a very reputable store for an item they had on special with all attachments. On opening the box, no attachments. I mentioned this to the salesman, he got the company rep that was in the store and his answer was, Stiff mate, take it or leave it I do not care. Great service and no sale. I have not returned to that store since.

Dave J
6th March 2011, 03:40 PM
I notice they have been putting gear on ebay lately at the store prices.
eBay Seller: machineryhouse: Industrial, Home items on eBay Australia (http://shop.ebay.com.au/machineryhouse/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562)
The last time they where on their was back in 06, so things might be not going so good.
eBay Feedback Profile for machineryhouse (http://feedback.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=machineryhouse&ftab=AllFeedback&seeallfeedback=See%20All%20Feedback&myworld=true)

Dave

Pete F
6th March 2011, 07:10 PM
Of course that may ... or may not have been the retailer I was referring to!

Woodlee
6th March 2011, 07:56 PM
I reckon they may be feeling the pinch from online over seas sales maybe .
I've purchased very little from them in the past three years .
I am considering a 6" or 8" rotary table and am looking at supplier options at the moment.

Kev.

NCArcher
6th March 2011, 08:17 PM
You get the occasional bad US retailer - read how David Thorne decided to help one such place boost their business....

Function 4 Sports. Free Burton snowboard with Ride boot and bindings. (http://www.27bslash6.com/f4s.html)

:rofl: Brilliant.

Dave J
6th March 2011, 08:17 PM
of course that may ... Or may not have been the retailer i was referring to!

lol

Christos
6th March 2011, 08:20 PM
I went to a large specialty tool store yesterday (red one) and said I wanted to look at a "Festool belt sander". The sales guy led me away from the power tools into the machinery section then said "I don't think we have one" - he was looking at linishers. He then wandered away and left me there. :doh:

I am sorry but this just cracked me up so much.

Greg Q
6th March 2011, 08:35 PM
When this thread started I tried really hard to dredge up any happy memories in my Australian tool buying experiences in order to post a counter-point, and perhaps a point of light on the distant hill, a beacon, as it were. Got metaphor?

Anyway:They are few and far between. The old tool store in the former Gowings Bldg in SYD was always good.(Except I almost got bashed after trying to stop a bloke shoplifting an L-N #9)!! The first Carbatec in MEL was OK on slow days too. My local Festool dealer is good, but not great. No product knowledge at all, but she does have weekly rep days.

Tonight I was reminded of the first time I tried to buy a Festool Vac and a nail gun. I asked for their best price and the salesman told me that if he had his way he'd charge me more because I wan't a tradie. I left after inviting him to perform an improbable disappearing act with the vacuum. Never been back. (Those CT-22's take a LOT of lube):o

WRT to research shopping here: I do that. I admit it freely. Whenever Gerry Harvey or Solly Lew gets on their bandwagon about us internet shoppers I go into a store, see something, scan it with my iphone's barcode reader and buy it online elsewhere right in front of their very eyes. For half price. (I don't take up time from any commissioned staff though...that would be too low)

Pete F
6th March 2011, 09:39 PM
Anyway:They are few and far between. The old tool store in the former Gowings Bldg in SYD was always good.(Except I almost got bashed after trying to stop a bloke shoplifting an L-N #9)!!

Tonight I was reminded of the first time I tried to buy a Festool Vac and a nail gun. I asked for their best price and the salesman told me that if he had his way he'd charge me more because I wan't a tradie. I left after inviting him to perform an improbable disappearing act with the vacuum. Never been back. (Those CT-22's take a LOT of lube):o

WRT to research shopping here: I do that. I admit it freely. Whenever Gerry Harvey or Solly Lew gets on their bandwagon about us internet shoppers I go into a store, see something, scan it with my iphone's barcode reader and buy it online elsewhere right in front of their very eyes. For half price. (I don't take up time from any commissioned staff though...that would be too low)

Oh yeah, The Woodworks in the Gowings building was good. The bearded guy there, just can't recall his name, was a cabinet maker and knew the products well. I certainly miss that little store ... now no reason to go in to the city :D I can only imagine the rent must have pushed them out, as they seemed to do a reasonable trade whenever I was there. Not super busy, but those types of specialist store rarely are.

Greg, what's the name again of that scanner? You told me the other night but my goldfish memory has failed me yet again.

Greg Q
6th March 2011, 09:54 PM
Goldfish memory? What scanner? I honestly don't recall mentioning any scanner. Do you mean than 3-D body scanner I invented in my youth? In the gynaecology tent at the beach? Please explain.

That store in Gowings used to eat quite a bit of my discretionary budget. I must have dropped a couple of hundred on every* visit, just because of that bearded guy and the product range. It was more expensive than elsewhere, but the service more than compensated.

*that was probably every 3 or 4 months. I also used to go to MIK in ADL...it too was good, albeit on a lesser scale.

GQ

Pete F
6th March 2011, 09:58 PM
Yes MIK had some good kit, and being an ADL boy my family used to do the right thing and either give me regular product and/or vouchers from them come Christmas time. Are they still around? I think they've closed down right?

Greg Q
6th March 2011, 10:08 PM
Yes, but I can't quite recall why. I vaguely recall a story that one of their staff was selling the secrets of socialised medicine to the yanks. Could that have been it?

Seriously though, they did fold. I think around three years ago. in the three or four visits I made I found the staff to be knowledgeable, friendly and helpful. I will say that I never saw more than one or two other shoppers whenever I visited the store.

I just received an email about the manufacturing show in MEL. Should I make a new topic?

Greg Q
6th March 2011, 10:24 PM
In a head-slapping moment I realise that Pete F was referring to my iphone scanner. It is called "redlaser". It scans barcodes and instantly tells you who is selling the item in order of price. It's fantastic. Works for items sold internationally, like most electronics, books, etc. The end of retail as we know it.

Pete F
7th March 2011, 06:46 AM
Thanks Bubbles.

Regards,
Goldie

Pete F
7th March 2011, 02:08 PM
I thought I'd finally get around to buying the 9/32 AF open ended spanner to adjust the gib locking nuts on the Hercus lathe. For those who may work exclusively in metric, 9/32 is just over 7 mm ie it's a weeny sized spanner. I'll post the following prices without further comment. The brand is Stahlwille, and excellent make BTW if anyone is after new spanners. I have a set of theirs in AF and they're excellent. I thought I'd get a combination one as I prefer them. Anyway, without further ado (drum roll please ....)

UK retailer chosen at random, note the RRP, just over 11 bucks.
Stahlwille 13A932 - Combination Spanner 9/32 AF at PVR Direct.co.uk (http://www.pvrdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?catref=Stahlwille-STW13A932)

Now, the Australian retailer ...

... wait for it ....

....waiittt ...

.... hope you're sitting down ....

... no this is not for a full SAE set ....

... or a night with the owner's daughter thrown in ....

... just ONE, yikes "can almost use a 7 mm" spanner ....

.... Dudddaaahhh!!!!!
COMBINATION SPANNER - SW130 A 9/32 - Stahlwille (http://www.ozwidetools.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=&product_id=481&category_id=0&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1)

Big Shed
7th March 2011, 02:37 PM
It's the 10% GST that makes it so much more expensive, just ask Gerry:doh::rolleyes:

Greg Q
7th March 2011, 03:00 PM
Almost six times the overseas price must be a record. :cool:

I like Stahlwille too. If you don't mind a high-quality copy there is also Teng Tools, but again the local retail price is pretty sporting to say the least.

I just found the current Stahlwille official Australian Price List. That spanner is $22.70, not $63+ that the dealer is trying to get. (Note also that his shipping price isn't available until you register).

Pete F
7th March 2011, 03:23 PM
"Sporting" is right, especially when comparing the price to the distributor's RRP for the land of touch.

http://www.whiteint.com.au/site/DefaultSite/filesystem/documents/Trade/Catalogue/trade%202010%20-%2002%20Stahlwille.pdf

Page 17.

While I've stopped for a cup of tea I think I'll flick the retailer an email and ask if they can please tell me why they are charging 250% more than the RRP, which is already in itself 250% more than the UK RRP?

Oh Greg, I think we just crossed posts.

Anorak Bob
7th March 2011, 03:26 PM
That stuff is in another league. I can remember walking into Ryan's in Elizabeth Street back in 1994 and being overwhelmed by the array of Stahlwille tools.

I have a reasonable amount of gear including 60's - early 70's vintage Sidchrome, later Snap-on and some Gordon and Britool but there's something about that concave handle that sets the Stahlwille spanners apart.

.RC.
7th March 2011, 04:33 PM
I did some shopping today and rediscovered how much I like ebay....

Went looking for some cotton gloves... Price... $10... Price on ebay $16 for 6 pairs AU supplier.

Fuses.... 1st shop did not have them, second shop had some but not the sizes I wanted, third shop, don't have a part number as we have never sold them.

eskimo
9th March 2011, 08:33 AM
Yes MIK had some good kit, and being an ADL boy my family used to do the right thing and either give me regular product and/or vouchers from them come Christmas time. Are they still around? I think they've closed down right?

yep...the move to stepney killed em i think...now occupied by Carbitec

a couple of the guys started up down the road new next to (and part of) Norwood Restoration cntre and was also very good.....but they have since moved further west along magill road and is still nothing like its former self ....pity

eskimo
9th March 2011, 08:37 AM
[QUOTE=Greg Q;1286853 there is also Teng Tools[/QUOTE]

bloody adjustable spanners (shifters).... operate in reverse..had to get used to Greg

they now sit in a tub under the bench in the shed

Pete F
9th March 2011, 08:38 AM
yep...the move to stepney killed em i think...now occupied by Carbitec

a couple of the guys started up down the road new next to (and part of) Norwood Restoration cntre and was also very good.....but they have since moved further west along magill road and is still nothing like its former self ....pity

Yeah that's the place I was thinking of but couldn't think of their name. They used to be opposite Carba-tec, have they moved? It all seems very incestuous, with businesses all playing musical chairs, often with the same buildings!