PDA

View Full Version : Timber Screen Doors

ivanavitch
26th November 2004, 11:19 PM
SWMBO wants a screen door on the kitchen to keep our little black friends away. The kitchen door opens out on to a small porch so the screen door would be on the inside.

Question. What type and size of timber would be suitable? The bottom 2/5ths of the door will be solid - top screened.

Thanks all in anticipation.

John Scott

Jacksin
27th November 2004, 09:50 AM
I thought it easier to buy a timber half-screen door from Bunnings etc than build one (providing you have a standard sized opening.
It sounds a bit odd the kitchen door opening outwards. Would it pay to reverse swing that door to the inside then mount the screen door on the outside?
Jack ;)

seriph1
27th November 2004, 11:32 AM
I have an idea - please clearly describe the existing door inc. measurements or send a pic through .....

intrigued????

:D:D:D:D:D hope so .... this exercise will confirm my lunacy

ozwinner
27th November 2004, 06:21 PM
I have an idea - please clearly describe the existing door inc. measurements or send a pic through .....

intrigued????

:D:D:D:D:D hope so .... this exercise will confirm my lunacy
Surely you dont need a piccy to prove your a luny?? :confused:

Al :D

seriph1
27th November 2004, 06:36 PM
yes, but a picture tells a thousands words.....I know this because several of my small inner voices said so

ivanavitch
27th November 2004, 10:14 PM
I think a previous owner hung the door on the outside to give a bit of clearance around the wall oven which is just to the left of the door.

Sorry I can't post a pic.

What I was really after was timber size for the outside frame. Is 19mm thick enough? I built the cupboard doors frames from 19 X 65 Tas Oak. Is this heavy enough?

John Scott

TheDad
29th November 2004, 12:35 AM
I would use something heavier, but then I always do.....

All my voices are telling me that I should go and build now, but it is 12.30 in the morning, could upset the neighbours with the saw!!

Gaz

If a stitch in time saves nine, how many would we save it we just used glue?