PDA

View Full Version : Advice please

cookie48
6th March 2011, 03:12 PM
Being a good little vegemite, I am making a table lamp base forthe BOSS. But I have small problem with the base. As show in pics there is a bit of a fault in the timber. What is the best way to fix this please.
I have thought of taking it off. ( No that would look poo poo)
Making bigger groove with my Dremel and filling with cuttings.
Making bigger with Dremel and fill with Brass filling etc.
Just leave it as is.
Any help is appreciated.
Cookie

hughie
6th March 2011, 05:49 PM
fill it with coffee grinds and CA make sure the CA soaks right down into the timber to give the segment a good amount of keying

joe greiner
6th March 2011, 11:45 PM
For similar situations, I've used epoxy instead of CA. I undercut the gaps with Dremel and a tiny dovetail bit to provide a mechanical anchorage. I mix a "mortar" of epoxy and filler of coffee grounds or key-cutting shavings, and pack the gap proud of the final surface. Re-turn and sand flush. The re-cutting slices through the filler for a miniature terrazzo effect. Here's an example: http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/cherry-stump-bowl-46496/

Cheers,
Joe

cookie48
7th March 2011, 12:51 AM
Joe.
Your pics of the bowl are great. I will head down to local pub (i live in country town, no coffee shop) and get some grounds from there. Rekon might have to taste the good allso.
Dean

Terry V
7th March 2011, 12:53 AM
If you're not already, better wear eye protection turning that!

Terry

My wooden bowls and vases (http://www.turnedwoodenbowls.com)

oldiephred
7th March 2011, 02:13 AM
I would remove it from the lathe, cut the piece off on bandsaw or table saw , sand or plane if necessary so there were two flat clean surfaces, glue it back on (or ,ideally, a larger piece) then re-turn the base. This would mean there is no repair line.

RETIRED
7th March 2011, 07:00 AM
I would use thin CA and run it in from both sides and top and bottom first so that it penetrates as far as it can. Let it sit for about 10 mins before applying hardener.

Sap veins like that have no real strength and need to be well glued before you fill the edges because when you turn it you will take a lot of strength away.

Hope that makes sense.

cookie48
7th March 2011, 01:22 PM
Thankyou all for your input. I like the idea of the contrasting colours of the coffee grinds. I allso like the idea of no join. Both have merit,but I think the coffee wins this time.
Thanks folks