PDA

View Full Version : Round slings vs Flat slings?

Com_VC
8th March 2011, 08:40 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if someone here can tell me the advantages/disadvantages of round slings & flat slings?

I've always used flat slings as that's what the places i've worked at have had.

I'm wanting to buy a couple to use in the garage and trying to decide which to go for.

Thanks

pipeclay
8th March 2011, 08:57 PM
Most will depend on what you are intending to lift.
When you talk of round and flat are you reffering to endless slings or slings with eyes.
You can get round and flat in both types.
Are you talking about wire or soft slings.

Dave J
8th March 2011, 09:09 PM
I like and use the round slings better, the material is not as thick and stiff as the flat slings.. Also the round slings are easier to get around small things in a choker hold.
I have a whole range here of both from 0.5 ton/ 0.5mtr to 8 ton/4mtr and the flat straps are much harder to store.

Dave

Com_VC
8th March 2011, 09:51 PM
pipeclay: the slings i've been using have an eye at each end. Just after soft slings.

I don't need anything more than 2 metres, so storage shouldn't be an issue I don't think.

I just had a thought, that the round sling would be an advantage when you are trying to lift an object that you couldn't get the flat eyelet through.

Dave J
8th March 2011, 10:27 PM
Thats another advantage and they go through the lifting hook easier. I think the soft round are the best all round sling for home. The flat ones would stand up to more abuse used at a commercial works.
Ebay has approved ones between $10-$20 for the 0.5 ton - 2 ton

Dave

Com_VC
9th March 2011, 05:20 PM
Done and ordered.

I ended up going with 2 X 2 metre round 2 tonne rated and 2 x 1 metre round 2 tonne rated.

I don't think I would ever need that lift capacity, but the price difference over the 1 tonne wasn't that much.

Dave J
9th March 2011, 05:48 PM
Good to here you got what you wanted.
For the low price they are, their cheap to have a few laying around the shed.
I have seen so many people lifting with load straps when a proper sling is cheaper and safer.

Dave