PDA

View Full Version : What's the trick

Fred in Tassie
27th November 2004, 09:54 PM
I have spent the last 45 minutes attempting to twist, turn, roll etc, my bandsaw blades into the circles that you see with new blades for storage.<O:p</O:p

After not achieving my objective I retired for the evening. First thing in the morning I will be purchasing new thicker gloves, although a small amount of blood does tend to lubricate the blades, but alas it has not helped with the folding, the blades still remain as 1 loop not the 3 circles I would like.<O:p</O:p

Could the forum please explain how I can achieve my objective successfully, or is it less stressful on the blade and myself, if I leave as is.<O:p</O:p

<O:p</O:p
By the way I am new in to this game.<O:p</O:p

Cheers<O:p</O:p

Fred<O:p</O:p

smidsy
27th November 2004, 10:29 PM
Hei Fred,
First off, welcome to the mad house.
I don't have a bandsaw now, but when I had one I found that the easiest way is to hold the blade in a loose oval with a hand at each end and simultaneously twist each end of the blade in a different direction. The blade would usually spring in to the coil.
Cheers
Paul

DarrylF
27th November 2004, 10:42 PM
There's a trick to it definitely - basically what Smidsy said :) www.finewoodworking.com (http://www.finewoodworking.com) I think has a video demonstration on how to do it.

smidsy
27th November 2004, 11:41 PM
And Fred,
Be careful when you uncoil the blade because they will spring out quite viscously, I've been bitten more than once uncoiling a bandsaw blade.
Cheers
Paul

fxst
27th November 2004, 11:54 PM
I drop em on the floor and they open nice and safe :D
Pete

smidsy
28th November 2004, 02:15 AM
The problem with dropping them on the floor is that bosses don't like it.

I once clipped a screw driver blade with the cutting blade on a press, when I commented to the boss that I was glad it was the screw driver and not my finger the boss replied "I'm not, workers comp would pay for your finger but we pay for the screw driver".

Don't you love caring bosses :rolleyes:

Cheers
Paul

Sturdee
28th November 2004, 04:18 PM
Don't you love caring bosses :rolleyes:

Not only a caring bos but a good bean counter as well. :p

The cost of the first 10 days of your wages and the first $ 500 of your medical expense ( or a 25 % surcharge on his workcover annual premium ) compared to a screw driver. :confused:

Peter.

Roly
29th November 2004, 10:15 AM
Fred,

Here is hope I do it and it works with the largest blade I use which is 3/4.

Hold the blade uncoiled with the teeth away from you and the palm of your hand facing away from the body. Trap the blade with your foot and turn your hand in an anticlockwise direction and keep turning. You will notice that the blade now reduces in height and actually forms the three coils you are after. I jiggle them a couple of times to even up the coil diameter and it has not failed me yet.

Another way is to trap the bottom of the coil with your foot and hold it with both hands, palms out and some distance (shoulder width) apart. Turn both your hands inwards si,ultaneously and the blade will form its three loops as desired.

Roly

Badger
29th November 2004, 05:29 PM
Fred

If you still haven't got the hang of it - and it can be a real ***** even with someone showing you - if you live near Devonport/Burnie/Lonnie drop me an e-mail and I'll arrange to drop by and show you.

Cliff Rogers
30th November 2004, 01:22 AM
G'day Fred.

Roll it up & stick it in a padded post bag & send it to me,
I'll roll it up for you & send it back. :D