PDA

View Full Version : Misleading headline

jmk89
10th March 2011, 11:43 AM
The headline to this story had me worried that it would lead to a further attack on woodwork being taught in our high schools. :oo: The truth is that it could also have happened in a maths class.:D

Teen struck in head in woodwork class in Griffith | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/teen-struck-in-head-in-woodwork-class-in-griffith/story-fn3dxity-1226018940611)

Sub-editors are not what they used to be!!

Ozkaban
10th March 2011, 01:04 PM
hmmm. it would be more interesting if they actually said what he got belted with... :rolleyes:

If the object was say, a Hammer Of Significant Size, or a chisel or some such thing, it would be a more telling story.

Cheers,
Dave

jimbur
10th March 2011, 02:11 PM
I remember some violence in the woodwork class some fifty-five years ago.
Oddly enough it never made the headlines and it was perpetrated by the teacher with a length of half inch dowel.
The kid who was belted had been told once that you do not mess about with tools as they can be dangerous. He didn't listen.
Even more oddly he was a model pupil from then on at least as far as behaviour went. Still he may be seeing a psychiatrist these days to recover from his schoolday trauma:D
Cheers,
Jim

AlexS
10th March 2011, 06:12 PM
I remember some violence in the woodwork class some fifty-five years ago.
Oddly enough it never made the headlines and it was perpetrated by the teacher with a length of half inch dowel.
The kid who was belted had been told once that you do not mess about with tools as they can be dangerous. He didn't listen.
Even more oddly he was a model pupil from then on at least as far as behaviour went. Still he may be seeing a psychiatrist these days to recover from his schoolday trauma:D
Cheers,
Jim
I am not seeing a psychiatrist. (OK, maybe I should):D
And it was a straight edge, not a dowel!

Sawdust Maker
10th March 2011, 07:38 PM
Jim

How's the therapy going?:q

Other funny thing is - Barellan is such a nice place - Yvonne came from there

PS

Jeremy
can you keep us posted on the court case?

homealone
10th March 2011, 11:16 PM
The headline to this story had me worried that it would lead to a further attack on woodwork being taught in our high schools. :oo: The truth is that it could also have happened in a maths class.:D

Teen struck in head in woodwork class in Griffith | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/breaking-news/teen-struck-in-head-in-woodwork-class-in-griffith/story-fn3dxity-1226018940611)

Sub-editors are not what they used to be!!

Sorry guys it was a saw, so could only happen in woodwork.:(

jimbur
11th March 2011, 10:41 AM
Jim
How's the therapy going?:q

Obviously I'm still in trauma after seeing such violence at a formative age. In reality, none of us could stand the kid anyway and reckoned he had been asking for it.
Cheers,
Jim

eddie the eagle
11th March 2011, 06:36 PM
lead to a further attack on woodwork being taught in our high schools. :oo:!

Hi JMK,

Unlike the US, there's no attack on woodwork being taught in NSW schools, as funding is at a whole school level and we have to offer a range of electives, including Industrial Technology (Timber) as it's now termed.

Just to clear up a misconception as I noticed you've said this a few times in lurking for a while.

It may be under threat if we have a change in policy where principals are made responsible for the schools' funding distribution, as timber is far dearer than paper to buy.

Other states may have a different experience, but the real risk to the clever country is the national curriculum that you may hear about.

We may be asked to teach practical project work and problem solving through textbooks, with available hours for syllabus delivery being (indicatively) cut substantially, leading to a reduction in the depth of delivery and an inability to solve problems in a creative manner (Australia is one of the world leaders in teaching students how to problem solve, leading to our inventiveness, but are being overtaken rapidly.)

Cheers,

eddie

Lumber Bunker
15th March 2011, 12:07 AM
At my new school Wood Tech is very well regarded. The students in year 9 do some carving etc. lots of hand skills, not too much focus on industry... (ie. white board kitchens) it's really great and no one has been hit over the head with anything. Although i had a student bonk herself in the back of the head the other day with a javelin, now that funny to watch. There is always one.

Some time ago when i was at school my wood teacher threw a mallet at a student He was deserving of it (maybe) the next year the same student punched him in the face.

Sawdust Maker
15th March 2011, 11:25 AM

Some time ago when i was at school my wood teacher threw a mallet at a student He was deserving of it (maybe) the next year the same student punched him in the face.

obviously the mallet wasn't heavy enough :o