PDA

View Full Version : Setting up dust extraction on scrollsaw

scooter
28th November 2004, 12:49 AM
Thought I'd share how I set up dust extraction on my scrollsaw.

Here's a link showing how the dust extraction kit on Hegner (H.) saws is set up :

http://www.slamnet.org.uk/designtech/Health%20&%20Safety/Jig%20Saw%20Dust%20Extraction%20April%202002.PDF

I cobbled up a system for my Delta 40-540 using the ideas in the link which works well.

I used an old radiator hose for the bottom hose, this had a sort of right angle bend at one end that I located under the bottom blade clamp, cut away a little of the hose to clear the end of the arm. It occured to me you could use PVC pipe and an elbow to achive this also, but the rad. hose can be pushed aside when changing the blade.

The rad. hose is secured to the top of my scrollsaw stand with a saddle a la the H. setup; the opposite end of the hose is adapted to suit the hose coming from my mini cyclone and vacuum cleaner.

The tube for the top hose is 10mm vinyl tubing from Bunnings, I bought a metre that is barely enough, it is only $1.43 odd p/m so would be best to get 1.5m. The end is cut into a elongated V per the H. piccy, and inserted into the radiator hose. The hole in the rad. hose was cut using a hole punch made from a sharpened bit of steel tubing, this gave the cleanest cut through the wall of the hose. I experimented with hole sizes so the vinyl tube would be a firm push fit.

The 10mm tube goes toward the back of the saw, then up and forward to the blade holddown.

On my Delta saw the small blower tube and holddown are secured to a sturdy steel pipe that runs forward from the back of the saw next to the upper arm. I took the holddown and blower off the saw, but used some of the bits plus a small saddle and a L shaped piece of steel rod to locate and secure the vinyl tubing near the end of the steel pipe, about 7" back from the blade up and to the right. The end of the vinyl tube basically sticks out from here to terminate at the back of the blade. This means that the tubing can just be pushed out of the way when feeding the blade through an inside cut, and doesn't get in the way as the holddown foot could in the H. setup in the link. This idea was copied from something similar seen on Neil Schultz's saws at the WW show. The position of the tubing can be altered by twisting it in the saddle or moving slightly the clamp on the steel tube.

The Hegner setup uses an opaque plastic tube that looks a little stiffer than the vinyl tubing, this would be better if you can get it but the vinyl tubing works well anyway. The important part is tubing that has a big enough ID without being too bulky, and that has some rigidity to support itself for the last 7" or so to the back of the blade.

I don't have a digital camera so can't post any pics yet, will do so if /when friends who are thus equipped come to visit :).

I'd encourage you to consider this setup or something similar, it beats getting the dust in your eyes and lungs.

Downside? About the only one is the noise of the vacuum running, not that significant but it means you have to turn the cricket up :p. I am still vegetating on an idea to use the belt drive blower and motor out of a clothes drier to provide the "suck", could run all day and would be quieter. Airflow would be no problem but not sure if it would suck hard enough, still worth a prototype I reckon for the potential benefits.

Sorry about the length of post and lack of piccies, fire away if anything needs clarifying.

Cheers.............Sean

Optimark
20th February 2005, 09:28 PM
Sean, now that you've had the dust collection system running for three months, how do you rate it?

Mick.

scooter
24th February 2005, 06:21 PM
Gday Mick, v good, don't really notice it in the way or anything, and definitely better on the lungs.

The only annoyance is the vacuum running, which makes a fairly quiet activity (scrolling) not quite so quiet.

I've got the nucleus of an idea ( :) ) about using the fan out of a clothes drier (of which I have a couple of spares) built into a suitable housing as the supply of vacuum. Wouldn't be a world beater but should move enough air to do the job, and would be quiet and able to run for long periods no problem.

Cheers mate..........Sean, nucleus fizzycist

Sturdee
24th February 2005, 07:04 PM
The only annoyance is the vacuum running, which makes a fairly quiet activity (scrolling) not quite so quiet.

Sean, how about putting you vacuum into a soundproofed cupboard similar to the way I tamed and sound proofed my compressor. (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=14046)

Peter.

scooter
20th December 2007, 11:06 PM
Gday

Another scroller emailed me & asked that I put up some pics of this setup. Post is only 3 years old, some people are soooo impatient. :rolleyes: :D

Pics show it all, & detailed description in post #1. Fire away if any questions.

Bought the locline a while ago, it's the 1/2" inside stuff, plan to alter the top tube to maybe something slightly bigger bore & rigid, that runs along the support bar to near the front, then run the locline down from there. When I get a round tuit. :D

Cheers............Sean

ryanclan
23rd December 2007, 07:42 AM
Good Morning Sean
Thank You Very Much For Your P M Which Basicly Confirmed That It Was Practical To Set Up A Vacumn System On A Delta Scroll Saw
The Way I Did It Is Similar To Yours Except I Used Different Materials And I Removed The Whole Of The Holddown System To Give Me A Ridgid Fixing For The Top Segmented Tubing
The Bottom Is Simply Made Out Of Ply And Perspex
This Is All Hooked Up To A Ryobi Vacumn Unit And After Hours Sawing There Is Literally No Dust Underneath The Saw Or Ontop
Either
All Members Should , As I Do, Should Still Consider Wearing A Mask For There Own Safety As A Lot Of Dust Created In This Hobby Of Ours Can Still Cause Many Health Problems
Xmass Greetings To All
Reg