PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic tool holders?

NeilS
15th March 2011, 02:23 PM
We get to see lots of neat turning tool holders/racks on this forum. The latest being from Sawdust Maker here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/f8/chisel-holders-132634/).

I've made the odd version myself over the years...:rolleyes:

I'm about to update mine and keep coming back to the simple solution of just a magnetic strip, like this (http://www.carbatec.com.au/magnetic-storage-bars_c5300).

One of my current racks has magnets (door catches) built into it and they work well, but they are not the extra strong type like the one linked to above. They just hold the tool from falling forward and no the full weight of the tool.

I also use a magnetic strip for my kitchen knives and that works well for them.

One issue I've seen raised with strong magnetic strips is that they magnetise the tools and then the swarf removed during grinding gets attracted back onto the tool and that then interferes with the sharpening process.

I've not noticed this effect with my kitchen knives, but I use waterstones to sharpen them and maybe that is different to dry grinding.

The other prob might be an attraction between the magnetised tool and the toolrest which might interfere with tool control, but just speculating there.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone with experience (or opinions) on this.

Thanks

Cliff Rogers
15th March 2011, 06:28 PM
Horses for courses.....
I love magnetised screw drivers, particularly Philips head.
I hate magnetised drill bits because the the crap that collects around the cutting edge.
I guess it would annoy me on a knife or turning tool too but it would be easier to wipe off than a drill bit.

I use magnets all over my machine tools for holding things like rulers, chuck keys, spindle spanners, calipers, knock out bars, allan keys, screw centers, drive dogs, spare jaw screws, etc.

dai sensei
15th March 2011, 08:39 PM
I use magnetic racks for my chisels with no ill effect. I have used many different magnets, but at the end of the day due to vibration or dust the chisels would not hold there on their own, especially the smaller rounded ones. I use a timber base and slope them back to the magnets, and use catches for those stainless chisels.

cheers

STAR
15th March 2011, 09:09 PM
[QUOTE=dai sensei;1290650]I use magnetic racks for my chisels with no ill effect. I have used many different magnets, but at the end of the day due to vibration or dust the chisels would not hold there on their own, especially the smaller rounded ones. I use a timber base and slope them back to the magnets, and use catches for those stainless chisels.

cheers[/QUOTE

-----------------

Neil.

Thanks for the photo Neil. I like the red one in the background. Any idea where I can get some! :rolleyes:

Pete

hughie
16th March 2011, 12:13 AM
I have a few rare earth magnets that I use and move around as the need dictates.
Hate the grinding problems associated with magnetic gouges etc :~ and keep a few magnetic screw drivers. The rest I demagnetize as I go along.

Paul39
16th March 2011, 04:28 AM
In the USA, Harbor Freight has nice magnetic strips like the red one above. As they are made in Asia, I suspect they could be found in Oz.

I have found that striking a tool against a chunk of timber will make the metal fragments adhering to it drop off. Hitting the tool with a knock out bar works better but might mar the tool.

rsser
18th March 2011, 03:24 PM
Neil, there's one of those in my shed and it hasn't magnetised the HD HSS scraper that lives on it, but it has done so with HCS bench chisels.

I was taught in a steel truss factory I worked in once to hit anything magnetised with a steel hammer and that would take care of it but haven't felt the need to try that with the Bergs and Titans on the rack.

Mine is 50cm long and came from Timbecon IIRC and has remarkable gripping power. Will hold a Veritas jack plane no problem.

NeilS
18th March 2011, 07:45 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice.

From your input it seems like a cautious trial is warranted.

And, if the side effects get too unpleasant, I'll resort to some tool banging...:D

Just a thought, back in the days of video tapes there were demag units that you could pass the tapes through to wipe. Should be a few of them going cheap now.

issatree
19th March 2011, 06:59 AM
Hi To All,
I have 2 lots of rather strong Magnet sets.
I bought some quite awhile ago from Bunnings, which were folded in a Plastic Pack.
The Magnets were also inside a flexible pack, & about 8 in all & 18in.or 460mm. long.
Blue in colour, $10ea. I've screwed 1 down to the wall in front of the Lathe, & holds my Wires, Drill Bits etc, the other is attached to the Tough Lathe itself.
Holds Pliers, Spanner, Drill Bits, & will hold Turning Tools as well.
Then Aldi's had a set of 2 dishes, & 2 Bars. Both lots are as strong as all get out. $10.
Would not like my finger to get in between them.
I have a Demagnetizer if it ever worries me about clamping to something I don't want it too.

Bob38S
19th March 2011, 10:27 AM
Neil.

Thanks for the photo Neil. I like the red one in the background. Any idea where I can get some! :rolleyes:

Pete

Check out Super Cheap for individual bars - I have a couple - about $10 each from memory. Aldi recently also had a magnetic pack which had 2 bars and some magnetic trays [which are good on top of the drill press] - don't recall the price but the bars where the same as the others only with a workzone sticker.

Ross
19th March 2011, 10:34 AM
I got a couple of bars from Woolies for about $10 each.

Ross

Paul39
19th March 2011, 12:56 PM
For those with more time than $$$, there are VERY strong magnets inside junked computer hard drives. Two of them snapping together will bite a chunk of meat out of your finger.

I vaguely recall years ago that I used a junk AC motor with the ends and rotor removed to demagnetize tools. Turn on, pass tool in and out, turn off. Best not to leave on too long or the smoke may escape.

rsser
19th March 2011, 02:56 PM
Neat idea Paul.

As for HD magnets, following similar advice a while ago I spent a frustrating hour getting one out and was disappointed with its grip. Maybe newish small drives don't need much magnetism.

Cliff Rogers
19th March 2011, 05:50 PM
I only use HDD magnets but if it takes me more than 5 minutes to get the lid off, I bin it.
The ones I have managed to recycle are beauties but I only use them for small stuff.

TTIT
20th March 2011, 10:53 PM
Neat idea Paul.

As for HD magnets, following similar advice a while ago I spent a frustrating hour getting one out and was disappointed with its grip. Maybe newish small drives don't need much magnetism.If you happened to try using heat to get the magnet off it's mounting bracket, that would explain any weakness in pull (DAMHIKT :B)

I only use HDD magnets but if it takes me more than 5 minutes to get the lid off, I bin it.
The ones I have managed to recycle are beauties but I only use them for small stuff.I've got the suckers all over the place - can hardly move some of them they are so strong. Usually rip them open in batches while I've got the right tools handy. :2tsup: