PDA

View Full Version : Some really cool necklaces- if I don't say so myself!

tea lady
15th March 2011, 05:48 PM
Made these recently out of some of my stash of pen blanks. I don't really make pens, but I seem to have acquired pen blanks along the way with various wood stashes I have become the custodian of! ! :shrug: So I made these simple necklaces just strung on rubber tubing with wire through it, and a magnetic clasp! Magnetic clasps make putting on the necklace really easy, cos you just get them within cooee of each other and they go together. No fumbling with hooks or screw catches! The wood itself is just turned round bertween centers then held in pin jaws to turn the shape and sand to #400. The last little blip from parting off is hand sanded smooth. I just oiled them with hard burnishing oil cos I like them to look like wood. But some people reckon they will sell better if they are shiny. :rolleyes: Maybe I'll make the next batch shiny and see what the customers at the market think! :shrug: Woods used include Osage Orange, Wenge, Zebrano, Silky oak, and quilted Eucalypt.

Enfield Guy
15th March 2011, 05:56 PM
Cool as Tea Lady!!:2tsup::2tsup:

Doing something similar myself at the moment to use up some small offcuts and such like.

Cheers

Sawdust Maker
15th March 2011, 07:44 PM
What a waste of a good pen blank :o

oh ok
Nice work :2tsup:

Woodwould
15th March 2011, 11:21 PM
:thyel: Clever stuff.

Ozkaban
16th March 2011, 08:20 AM
Neat TL :2tsup: Love the quilted Eucalypt.

Do you reckon you could get a pen nib in the end of them ?? :;

Cheers,
Dave

Cliff Rogers
16th March 2011, 09:44 AM
:2tsup:

munruben
16th March 2011, 10:41 AM
Nice. :2tsup:

Ed Reiss
16th March 2011, 12:09 PM
The quilted eucalypt one looks like it would make for a nasty weapon :o

Nice turnings TL :2tsup:

joevan
16th March 2011, 01:03 PM
Hello TL,

There are always some knockers! If you think you are on a winner, stick with it. I think you are. Very nice work.
Joevan.

Wongo
16th March 2011, 01:09 PM
What a waste of a good pen blank :o

Thats an interesting comment. :D

Paul39
16th March 2011, 01:28 PM
Very Nice!!

I like the weathered wood background for the photos.

cookie48
16th March 2011, 02:06 PM
Gee if you do that with good pen blanks, hope your old man does not let you near some bigger pieces.
But never the less bloody good work there.

tea lady
16th March 2011, 03:42 PM
Very Nice!!

I like the weathered wood background for the photos.That's just our picnic table!

Gee if you do that with good pen blanks, hope your old man does not let you near some bigger pieces.
But never the less bloody good work there.:think: Which old man are you refering? I have all the wood round my joint! (Actually no old man eother to use all my good wood! :p ):D

Thanks for the comments guys! :cool:

turnerted
16th March 2011, 04:11 PM
Neat idear . Maybe I'll steal that to go with my bangles and earings .
Ted

artme
16th March 2011, 07:59 PM
Like 'em TL!!!:):):)

I think you are right about the shine.

ticklingmedusa
16th March 2011, 08:15 PM
Very Nice!!

I like the weathered wood background for the photos.
Me too, that great patina shows off the figure in them :2tsup:

At first glance I thought the wenge was ebony.
I had some wenge billets for a long time. Every time I moved them
around the shop I'd get a splinter.
Nice work.

rodent
19th March 2011, 10:04 PM
Yes much more impressive up guys and girls Tea lady brought them to 's today and they looked great along with her teardrop boxes nice work there anne-maria. Thanks for bringing them over for the critics to look over .:2tsup:

tea lady
19th March 2011, 10:10 PM
Yes much more impressive up guys and girls Tea lady brought them to 's today and they looked great along with her teardrop boxes nice work there anne-maria. Thanks for bringing them over for the critics to look over .:2tsup:
:cool: Ta muchly! :D (Although I did think there might be more of a show and tell thing going on. Not just me! :doh: )

AlexHW
20th March 2011, 09:02 PM
I think they're great!! :)