PDA

View Full Version : Vertex Rotary Table

Stustoys
15th March 2011, 06:04 PM
Has anyone disassembled their 10inch Vertex rotary table?
If so, how is the table removed once the nut at the back is undone and the tapered roller bearing removed?

Thanks
Stuart

.RC.
15th March 2011, 06:56 PM
a soft face hammer or piece of wood.

Stustoys
15th March 2011, 07:12 PM
That's what I was thinking but its technically butchery. ;)
I couldn't see any way around it but thought I'd check.
If it puts up to much of a fight I'll leave it be.
Thanks
Stuart

.RC.
15th March 2011, 08:11 PM
well if you have a press you can press the bearing out... As it is just the bearing fit on the shaft that is holding it..

You did remove the table locks?

Stustoys
15th March 2011, 08:19 PM
Its no biggy but you are hitting on the inner race to remove the outer race.
I just wanted to be sure I hadn't missed anything.
Its off now.
Thanks
Back to the shed
Stuart

Stustoys
15th March 2011, 09:19 PM
Well I'm glad I pulled it apart. I'm guessing it has been used with coolant alot. I'll give it a clean tomorrow, think it will come up ok.
Stuart

Jekyll and Hyde
15th March 2011, 10:11 PM
Well I'm glad I pulled it apart. I'm guessing it has been used with coolant alot. I'll give it a clean tomorrow, think it will come up ok.
Stuart

Coolant you say.... Inside a Vertex 10" rotary table you say.... I better get onto oiling mine up, try and prevent to much coolant sitting around inside it.... Only used coolant on it once, but I'm sure it won't be the last time...

And for future reference how did you get it apart in the end, standard persuading device?

Stustoys
15th March 2011, 10:31 PM
J&H
I think if you keep the oil up to it the coolant might not be to much of an issue. This unit is second hand so I have no idea of its history. To remove the table I placed it face down with wood packing under the base casting and used a dead blow plastic hammer(I'll take a picture tomorrow and add it, but its nothing exciting). Took a fair few hits but nothing hard and the bearing is pretty big so I'm not worried. In fact lining it up to put it back together will likely be the hard part.
Stuart

Dave J
16th March 2011, 09:36 AM
You where quick picking that up.
It doesn't look like it has done any major damage, just make sure you check the bearings for pitting. Also try to rid of all traces of rust because they tend to come back over time.

Dave

Stustoys
16th March 2011, 11:09 AM
Sometimes things happen quickly around here........ but you'll notice the DRO is back on hold lol.

I was out picking up a couple of 3phase motors and having a look at that auction.

One of the thrust bearings on the worm gear shaft is stuffed. The taper bearing from the back was full of swarf, but seems to have cleaned up ok. The main ball bearing ok I think, but cleaning it is a pain as it cant be removed.

One thing, the axial adjustment nut has TWO set screws, not one(as per following pdf)

Can someone measure the screws and ball mentioned in Fig.1 of this pdf?
https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/images/categories/38121.pdf
Mine has one long(homemade) set screw.

Stuart

Dave J
16th March 2011, 12:33 PM
Mine is 4 years old and I just pulled it apart to check.
It only has a single 16mm (15.88mm to be exact) cup point grub screw in it with no ball. It also has 2 set screws in the axial adjustment nut spaced at 90 degrees.

Dave

Stustoys
16th March 2011, 12:54 PM
Lol Thanks Dave, I guess the moral of this story is "don't believe the instructions"
Stuart