PDA

View Full Version : Amethyst Knight Pen

Nai84
17th March 2011, 01:20 AM
Hey Everyone

Well I order some of poly blanks from Timerbits this one is called Amethyst wet sanded and finished with novus polish, I notice that this blanks seem to chip out alot (my tools were sharp) and Im not sure if it was something that I was doing wrong or not any ideas all comments welcome

Ian

Les in Red Deer
17th March 2011, 03:20 AM
Looks like you did a great job on the one!
You not only need razor sharp tools, 3000 rpm, along with lots of patience and a very light touch.
Well done.

Les

Simomatra
17th March 2011, 07:16 AM
Nice work Ian, as Les has said.

You enter a whole new world of turning when you get into PR etc

seriola
17th March 2011, 09:49 AM
regardless of any problems you had with the turning you ended up with a fine looking pen, good one:2tsup::2tsup:

artme
17th March 2011, 10:02 AM
:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

timberbits
17th March 2011, 07:01 PM
Hi Ian

What fantastic pens you have.

I guess it was worth the fight.

Thanks for sharing.

Timberbits.

Nai84
17th March 2011, 10:11 PM
Looks like you did a great job on the one!
You not only need razor sharp tools, 3000 rpm, along with lots of patience and a very light touch.
Well done.

Les

Hi Ian

What fantastic pens you have.

I guess it was worth the fight.

Thanks for sharing.

Timberbits.

Hey Les

Thanks for the info I sure my lathe is only 2000rpm so I will just have to be patience and take my time

Hey Timberbits

It was worth it all the way what a fantastic blank just love the colours

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the feed back

Ian

Pariss
18th March 2011, 06:47 PM
Hey Ian, top pen ! My wife was looking over my shoulder when I was checking out your pen, and she said I HAD TO make her one or two of those !!. I enjoy turning these acrylic blanks, but gee their bloody messy. I have to break out the shop vac every 5 minutes when doing one of these last weekend. :oo:. Oh well, looks like I better send David Timberbits another order with some of these blanks included. :roll:

minus459
18th March 2011, 11:19 PM
Every 5 mins Pariss :U We've seen your shop, every 1min I reckon:;

undies

Nai84
19th March 2011, 12:45 AM
Hey Pariss

Thanks I think she would love that and the brownie points would be very high I think these PR blanks are more messy then a normal arcylics so better have that shop vac right next to you LMAO

Ian

minus459
19th March 2011, 01:06 AM
I'm obviously making my PR's wrong, I've only made two so far and they were the easiest blanks I have ever turned, I didn't even sand, just mm from 1500 to 12000. Hope I can keep making them that easy to turn.:roll:

undies

Nai84
19th March 2011, 02:37 AM
I'm obviously making my PR's wrong, I've only made two so far and they were the easiest blanks I have ever turned, I didn't even sand, just mm from 1500 to 12000. Hope I can keep making them that easy to turn.:roll:

undies

Hey minus459

My was pretty messy but I think it was due my lathe only spinning at 2000rpm instead of 3000rpms :doh:

Ian

minus459
19th March 2011, 03:37 AM
Ian I'll check what my lathes top speed is Today (woops) and let you know, I'll also make some new PR blanks and prove everybody correct :doh:. Mine was only beginners dumb luck :o

undies