PDA

View Full Version : Turning Books

Paul39
19th March 2011, 12:45 PM
I went hog wild in a used book store last Wednesday and bought Creative Woodturning by Dale NIsh, 1975, The Craftsman Woodturner, by Peter Child 1971, and Lathes and Turning Techniques, The Best of Fine Woodworking, The Taunton Press.

The Child book was most interesting, before scroll chucks. Lots of old techniques. He would have been an interesting and fun instructor. He had some pretty firm ideas on how to turn. He is an advocate of great big chunks of tool steel on baseball bat sized handles. I also lean in that direction.

A comment from the book: "Anyone who can use a 4 inch skew to full advantage should send this book back for a full refund, they can learn nothing here."

I'd like to hear some comment about his techniques from some of you old codgers. I'm only 71.

I would recommend both the Nish and Child books. Lots of photographs and explanation.

Looking for more info on Peter Child I found this: Buying a lathe and starting out in woodturning. (http://www.peterchild.co.uk/info1/startwt.htm)

mkypenturner
19th March 2011, 01:41 PM
[QUOTE=Paul39;1292305]

A comment from the book: "Anyone who can use a 4 inch skew to full advantage should send this book back for a full refund, they can learn nothing here."

QUOTE]
hey
have you got one of those ??????

fxst
19th March 2011, 02:51 PM
[QUOTE=Paul39;1292305]

QUOTE]
hey
have you got one of those ??????

probably has .........for pen turning:U
Pete

rsser
19th March 2011, 02:52 PM
The Nish book is a golden oldie Paul, and yes, makes interesting reading. It was my first turning book.

But hollowing a bowl with a scraper won't cut it (ahem) with our timbers.

mkypenturner
19th March 2011, 06:34 PM
But hollowing a bowl with a scraper won't cut it (ahem) with our timbers.

ain't that the truth :D

wheelinround
19th March 2011, 06:46 PM
I have no problem using a scraper on Snow Gum, Acacia (Bottle Brush), Jaccarandah :p

rsser
19th March 2011, 06:51 PM
Yeah, good point Ray, gotta be specific.

Huon, Myrtle Beech, Qld maple and others would work as well, but crikey it'd be tedious.

As for Snow Gum, that'd surprise me.

wheelinround
19th March 2011, 06:57 PM
Snow Gum was a dream no matter which tool I used although only a small vessle compared to your work Er.

The Acacia was tougher in my opinion tools would get very hot and an edge dulled quicker

RETIRED
19th March 2011, 09:00 PM
[QUOTE=Paul39;1292305]

QUOTE]
hey
have you got one of those ??????Alas, I only have a 40mm one as you can't get bigger these days.:wink::D

joe greiner
19th March 2011, 09:01 PM
Lathes and Turning Techniques was one of my first book purchases on woodturning. Loaded with info, DIY lathes and chucks, oval turning, segmented, etc. Also a quick & easy technique for final turning bottoms by the current editor of American Woodturner (p. 111). Hoop turning (p. 91) is another interesting process.

Cheers,
Joe

Ed Reiss
20th March 2011, 04:26 AM
...my first turning video (VHS, you younger guys might not know what VHS is :;) a golden oldie, "Bowl Turning with Del Stubbs" .