PDA

View Full Version : American drill

Tools
20th March 2011, 02:36 PM
I have an old drill made by the " United states electrical tool co". Don't know how old it is but it seems to be from another era with a cast body and a grease nipple up the front end. Does anyone know anything about the company? I have googled them and there is a company with a similar name making grinders but not drills so I don't know if it is the same firm.

GraemeCook
21st March 2011, 01:51 PM
No responses so far, Tools, It might be worth repeating the question on a USA based forum.

Cheers

Graeme

joe greiner
21st March 2011, 08:10 PM
They don't show up at Old Woodworking Machines, but the first Google hit links to their web site, with an email page. It won't hurt to ask them about it - especially if the badge indicates a model number and/or serial number.

It's definitely an oldie, and just because they're now limited to grinders and such doesn't mean they never made drills. I have a few Black & Decker drills much like it, but without the Zerk fitting IIRC.

FWIW I've never heard of them, but there's lots of things I've never heard of.

Unless it's indicated otherwise on the badge, note that US electricity is 110 volts 60 Hz, so proceed with caution.

Cheers,
Joe

gerhard
28th March 2011, 08:22 PM
Hi all,

i hadn't heard of them either, but the brand is more than 100 years old and still active today. Their specialties are now in the line of stationary grinders. I looked for them on the web and this is one of the links:

OWWM - United States Electrical Tool Co. - History (http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgindex/detail.aspx?id=1877)

The drill indeed has much resemblance to some B&D models.

greetings

gerhard

joe greiner
28th March 2011, 10:17 PM
Bingo! I should have looked a little deeper. OWWM's "Manufacturers Index" page is limited to those with publication reprints, of which there are none for them.

In any event, I reckon they'd be pleased to hear from you. I had a similar experience with Lufkin to identify a ship carpenter's bevel.

Cheers,
Joe