PDA

View Full Version : Australian Ebony

rmm1
20th March 2011, 07:27 PM
Hello everyone,

I haven't been on the forums for some time, but I have a query on some timber I was given by a friend from North Queensland. They are sections of branch approximately 100 mm in diameter, and the heartwood is about 15millimetres in diameter and black as the ace of spades. He has it growing wild on his property, and occasionally people use small sections to turn up pen blanks. He called it Australian Ebony, but I was interested in finding the actual correct name, as I believe it is TOTALLY protected. Thanks,rmm1.

Avery
20th March 2011, 09:08 PM
Gees,

some photos would be nice!

Zed
20th March 2011, 09:46 PM
some outback timbers are really dark, hard and small sectioned. what are they called............................................

........... cant think....

gidgee etc?? maybe something like that?

dai sensei
20th March 2011, 10:15 PM
There is an Australian Ebony, see here on ttit's site (http://www.ttit.id.au/treepages/austebony.htm)

itsposs
21st March 2011, 01:44 PM
I think I ve just found my new Idol bookmarking ttit's site

Bob Whitworth
21st March 2011, 03:00 PM
I also have a sample of Aust. Ebony. It is black, not very dark, and fine grained just like the more famous Ebony. It comes from a tree called Dysporus sp. or something like it as I don't have my book with me at the moment. I do know the tree but have never cut any but there is one there on my list to cut and I will be most curious as to how it will look when I get around to it.

rmm1
24th March 2011, 04:30 PM
thanks everyone, yes that is definitely the tree! I have just finished taking some pictures to upload to show everybody,but the ttit site shows excellent photographs. The Heartwood I have is only about 15millimetres in diameter and I have three branches each about 350 mm long. At this stage I really don't know wha to do with it as the branches are not dead straight but curve slightly, but I am really just pleased to have it anyhow. Thanks,rmm1