PDA

View Full Version : Hot & Fresh Today

Pariss
20th March 2011, 07:59 PM
Had a bit of time this arvo to slip away into the shed and knock up these 3 pens. The Sierra is in Royal Blue with white & black swirl, the Elegant Beauty is in Orchid with white lines, and the Barron II with Eucalypt Burl. The Baron was so smooth & shiny that I couldn't get a decent picture showing the terrific burl of this blank. Maybe my camera skill sucks ? :C

Nai84
20th March 2011, 09:06 PM
Hey Pariss

WOW I love those arcylics nice done on them ones I just loce that Royal blue I have some drilled up for Knight pens as for uor photo skills they are fine the pic looks AWESOME so dose the pen how coats of CA do have on it coz it looks like glass
well done on all of them

Ian

Pariss
20th March 2011, 10:20 PM
G'day Ian. Yeah, on the Baron I used 20 thin coates of CA, then MM all the way, then Brasso, then Maguires speedglaze. I am experimenting with different CA applicators at the moment, as I have had a couple of problems using paper towells as the applicator, with the CA smoking up and going crunchy within 4-6 seconds, and leaving small lines in the finish. (maybe I'm too slow at applying it ??) anyway, my last 5 pens I have used 'Chucks Super wipes' as the CA will stay soft & will not smoke up at all and won't go off for about 20 to 30 seconds, which give me a much longer window to apply smoothly. Also the Chucks super wipes are very soft & smooth and seem to lay the CA on more evenly. I just fold it up and cut it into strips the same way as David 'Timberbit's' does. Anyway, it's good fun to experiment with variouse ways of doing things eh ! :2tsup:

minus459
20th March 2011, 10:20 PM
Can't you just be a struggling newbie like us............:~
Really nice work Pariss :2tsup::2tsup::;

undies

Nai84
20th March 2011, 10:34 PM
G'day Ian. Yeah, on the Baron I used 20 thin coates of CA, then MM all the way, then Brasso, then Maguires speedglaze. I am experimenting with different CA applicators at the moment, as I have had a couple of problems using paper towells as the applicator, with the CA smoking up and going crunchy within 4-6 seconds, and leaving small lines in the finish. (maybe I'm too slow at applying it ??) anyway, my last 5 pens I have used 'Chucks Super wipes' as the CA will stay soft & will not smoke up at all and won't go off for about 20 to 30 seconds, which give me a much longer window to apply smoothly. Also the Chucks super wipes are very soft & smooth and seem to lay the CA on more evenly. I just fold it up and cut it into strips the same way as David 'Timberbit's' does. Anyway, it's good fun to experiment with variouse ways of doing things eh ! :2tsup:

Hey Pariss

Well you are really getting into it I want to know do you use BLO with your CA what is MM and were did you get the Maguires speedglaze from I goona give the chucks ago I think as I also spend alot of time putting on the CA and its not always even I have seen another way with one step plastic polish thinking about giving that ago heres the link

YouTube - Pen Turning: Learn to Create a Shiny Acrylic Finish on your Wood Pens

Ian

Pariss
21st March 2011, 02:22 AM
Hey Ian. MM = Micro Mesh -sanding system https://www.timberbits.com/micro-mesh-2-x-2-soft-touch-pads.html

artme
21st March 2011, 08:48 PM
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet pens!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

You sure nailed the finish on that burl!!:):)

Whaler1
22nd March 2011, 01:16 AM
Great looking pens, that Baron is awesome.

munruben
22nd March 2011, 10:37 AM
Nice work. really nice.:2tsup:

Les in Red Deer
22nd March 2011, 03:36 PM
Very well done.
Form, Fit and Finish look great.

Les