PDA

View Full Version : Stretched to the limit

Tony Morton
20th March 2011, 08:09 PM
Over the last couple of years I have made some handles for croquet mallets the standard handle is 33 inches but a while back they wanted one just over a meter just managed to fit it on the Stubby. This week I was asked to make one 1150 long as I dont know of any long lathes around here i looked at extending the bed on the stubby but to much cost for one item and I dont like spindle turning. So this afternoon armed with the blank I set to work to see how I could make it fit and it looks like I can achieve it, sorry about the mess I had a clean up this week and have been doing some pens.
Cheers Tony

hughie
20th March 2011, 08:12 PM
looks good to me . :2tsup:

TTIT
20th March 2011, 10:46 PM
Wouldn't want another 10mm there would you - I reckon the Omega boys would be cringing if they saw it :C

...but how tall is the person getting the mallet ??? :o

Avery
20th March 2011, 11:04 PM
Forgive me.
I have never seen a STUBBY in action - my fault.

From you photo, I cannot tell how you turn the the bit that is between the headstock and the toolrest. Enlighten me please.

oldiephred
21st March 2011, 12:03 AM
Keep us informed-- hope the problems I see don't happen:;

RETIRED
21st March 2011, 07:27 AM
Tony, can I ask why you are not holding it between centres?

That way you can turn the half over the bed and then reverse it to do the other half.

I would put a prop under the outboard side of the bed for a little more strength.

I dont like spindle turningI will ignore that. :whistling2:

AUSSIE
21st March 2011, 09:11 AM
Tony.I am more a metal person than a wood person,but this photo made me shudder really.Surely there must be too much strain with the bed hanging way out there,enough for it to maybe break or at least sag.Also wouldnt the timber whip when turning.Maybe wood turners have a name for it,
Just my opinion

TTIT
21st March 2011, 09:12 AM
Forgive me.
I have never seen a STUBBY in action - my fault.

From you photo, I cannot tell how you turn the the bit that is between the headstock and the toolrest. Enlighten me please.The auxillary bed (the one pointing from the headstock toward the camera) can be flipped around in line with the work to support the banjo under the first half - - or it can be attached to the end of the main bed pointing back towards the headstock - and Stubby banjo's are a bit longer than most which helps too - very versatile little beasts :U

Tony, can I ask why you are not holding it between centres?
.....Didn't notice that before - switching from the chuck to a drive dog would pull the length down by about 30 or 40 mm :2tsup:

Tony Morton
21st March 2011, 01:06 PM
Hi
Thanks for the comments and advice the jobs done and no problems. TTIT the guy I am making the handle for is only about 5 foot five so it will be like a broomstick putter golfers use. the other spur drives are much longer than this one the original that cme with the lathe. Avery photos of auxillery bed very handy piece of equipment I use it a lot with large faceplate work working on the back of pieces. Aussie its not my normal practice to do this to the lathe its like trying to shoot something 200 metres away with a shot gun. Hope the pictures help.

Cheers Tony

RETIRED
21st March 2011, 02:59 PM
Came out well.

artme
21st March 2011, 08:37 PM
Well done Tony!!!:):):)

Just a question: If that's not spindle turning, what is it?

Tony Morton
21st March 2011, 08:54 PM
Hi Artme yes it is spindle turning, but I prefer flat and round or round and hollow as in bowls and platters lazy suzans etc I do this kind of stuff to store away till sold but spindle turning is only done on cash on completion jobs.

Cheers Tony