PDA

View Full Version : My year 10 table with marquetry top

BenBrown
22nd March 2011, 04:07 PM
Hey all
I have just finished year 10, throughout the year I have been working on making a coffee table. Well basically the table took me just under 4 months to make and was fairly simple. But I wanted to be different and decided to add a marquetry top to it. Being a proud Australian I decieded to make an Australian flag on the top. Throughout my ideas and thinking of my methods I was shut down by almost every woodwork student in my year and below and above. Well i successfull completed it.

Quick question, when i glue the veneer to the ply wood i got a strange bubbled up section in the middle, it puzzled my teacher and wondering what happened to it? I resolved it a little bit with sanding but i still have some dents in my top now from less thickness in the areas of the bubbles.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad36/Itz_RolfKoPter/171225_1701448930918_1078796085_1847582_4819601_o.jpg

Lignum
22nd March 2011, 05:13 PM
Ben, what glue did you use and how did you press the veneers on?

Bubbles are usually air pockets. A pain in the bum, the best way is to carefully put a fine slice with your veneer knife in it and depending on the glue re-press it down. Some glues you can do that with heat, and some you cant. Sometimes a syringe with fresh glue injected and re-pressed will fix it. To late now, but don’t sand a bubble. You will probably sand right through the veneer.

Love to see a photo:2tsup:

toolbagsPLUS
22nd March 2011, 08:42 PM
A photo would help.

But I'll back up what Lignum said, "never sand a bubble out\."

Best if you don't get on to start with :doh:

A good press and the right glue (and don't be impatient and keep looking to see if it's done yet!!,)
just about get rid of the problems before they occur.

Good on you for having a go at the old Arts.

What did you do for the colors of the flag?

Cheers

Steve

BenBrown
23rd March 2011, 12:03 AM
Hey
Sorry i need help to post a photo just like steps to do it thanks alot.

Um I only had the choice of using PVA glue the veneer.
To press it I used a sheet of paper to protect it and add 4 really heavy weights that the school had in the room for such a task, I think maybe I didnt full press on all the areas. ( maybe i should of put a board down then put the weights on it)?.

BenBrown
23rd March 2011, 12:11 AM
Just to let you know i think i add the picture in the original post

toolbagsPLUS
23rd March 2011, 09:28 AM
Hey
Sorry i need help to post a photo just like steps to do it thanks alot.

Um I only had the choice of using PVA glue the veneer.
To press it I used a sheet of paper to protect it and add 4 really heavy weights that the school had in the room for such a task, I think maybe I didnt full press on all the areas. ( maybe i should of put a board down then put the weights on it)?.

Wow that is awesome.:2tsup::2tsup:

Looking forward to what you will produce in years to come.

Congratulations for working through the problem and yes I think you are correct in revising your clamping technique and process.

Keep up the fantastic work. And continue ignoring the ones that say it can't be done!!

Cheers

Steve

Lignum
23rd March 2011, 09:32 AM
Ben that’s sensational, keep it up, you have some great talent there:2tsup:

BenBrown
23rd March 2011, 04:18 PM
Thank you very much...Im thinking about a pool table for year 12? might need alot of help form these forums

Paulphot
23rd March 2011, 10:57 PM
Thats a fantastic job Ben, I'm very jealous of your skills. Now to try something myself...

AlexS
24th March 2011, 08:09 AM
Nice work, Ben. Looks like you've done a really good job on the marquetry, nice tight borders.
With PVA, you could probably have removed the bubble by slitting it with a scalpel and ironing it with a hot iron over a towel. If you don't protect it using the towel you are likely to darken the wood. Something to remember for next time.

artme
24th March 2011, 12:56 PM
:o Ben that is one superb piece of work!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

BenBrown
24th March 2011, 03:23 PM
Nice work, Ben. Looks like you've done a really good job on the marquetry, nice tight borders.
With PVA, you could probably have removed the bubble by slitting it with a scalpel and ironing it with a hot iron over a towel. If you don't protect it using the towel you are likely to darken the wood. Something to remember for next time.

Yeah i did iron it with a towel and it made it turn like into sharp edges. and those dark spots in the middle is the knots in the grain

marc_s
24th March 2011, 06:59 PM
good job benny :U

BenBrown
24th March 2011, 09:06 PM
Thanks marc :D post yours up

Christos
27th March 2011, 09:42 PM
I think the table looks great, and not just because I too am a proud Aussie. :U

As to what others have said and how they have shut your thoughts down. Sometimes it is easier to say no to an idea then to agree with an idea. I find that this is the case from some of my friends who are not big in wood working. Don't take it to heart and make it a challenge to show them up. But do stick with your ideas, that is what makes up individuals.

katbobkat
31st March 2011, 11:21 PM
hi Ben,

Your work looks good. My worries; if you stick a few heavy object for gluing the veneer will come up and frustrate you. I seen it many times. Gluing is as important as the rest. Approximately the pressure for veneering is 5kg per square cm. That is huge!!!! If your table say 500mm x 300mm, the pressure you need is around 50x30x5 = 7500 kg!!! No joke! For your table, - hard to see the size - but a clamp at every 10cm or as many you can fit on. The middle is the most important, that is where you start squeezing the glue out. Otherwise you trap the glue. PVA is not the best for this job. Research the glues, a lot more to it than poring it to the surface.
Without excellent gluing your efforts will be down the drain.
Still, well done, awesome effort and keep it up!!!

benupton
3rd April 2011, 06:12 PM
Well done:2tsup::2tsup: Like the timber combinations.