PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Bench Router or Hand Router?

rmrunner
23rd March 2011, 06:45 AM
Hi. i'm deciding to purchase a router. What are some tips i can take into consideration when buying and also should i buy a bench router or a hand router?

My application for the moment is basically small home workshop. looking to make cupboard doors for cabinets, counter-tops and a few other things.

metester
23rd March 2011, 08:30 AM
I had a similar need a few short years ago. I went for one that was supposedly designed to be used for both purposes and purchased the Triton TRA001. I found it worked nicely for hand use but was a little heavy. I ended up using it permanently in a table and then bought the smaller Triton MOF001 for hand use and am very happy with both. I tend to use the table more often than not and only really use the handheld one for cutting dovetails, some lettering, flush trimming and the like. All my raised panelling, trim manufacture etc., happens at the router table. I am a hobby woodworker making things for myself and family mainly and also work out of a small workshop in the garage.

rmrunner
23rd March 2011, 08:50 AM
Oh Ok, i am also on the line of the hobby woodworker also...hope to open a shop in due course. I will also like to learn how you do the raised panelling..but for now if i buy the hand use, will it be able to make the raised panneling? Im new to the routering but i hope to learn.

rayintheuk
23rd March 2011, 10:15 AM
Very sound advice from metester

Most routers that are powerful enough to be useful table machines can be a little unwieldy when used hand-held. Most hand-held routers lack the necessary "grunt" for table use. A plunge router is much more versatile than a fixed-base model, although the fixed-base is more prevalent in the US.

It depends what you're planning to make as to which you buy (or buy first!), but there isn't really an "ideal" router for all uses. Whichever route you take, make sure that the router can take ½" and ¼" collets, has variable speed and (although not vital) soft-start.

Ray

Template Tom
31st March 2011, 11:00 PM
Hi. i'm deciding to purchase a router. What are some tips i can take into consideration when buying and also should i buy a bench router or a hand router?

My application for the moment is basically small home workshop. looking to make cupboard doors for cabinets, counter-tops and a few other things.

It will depend on what you wish to produce with the router. What you have suggested above, there is no doubt the router in the bench mode will adequately cater for your needs.
I have three routers set up permanently in the table mode but I have found for a great number of routing processes I have greater control of the router in the hand held position with the aid of the template guides. IMHO the template guides have not been used to their full potential, Also greater safety awareness is achieved with the router in the plunge mode.
I have submitted a number of Videos on YouTube (Routing with Tom O'donnell) demonstrating the advantages of using the guides. You may also like to look at what I have submitted on a free website Routingwithtomodonnell.yolasite for further information

Tom

rmrunner
1st April 2011, 03:32 AM
will check out your videos, this was the router i was looking at:

Amazon.com: Skil 1825 10 Amp 1/2-Inch Hybrid Router: Home Improvement

It looks like it can be used by hand and bench use(also its along my budget)

Bushmiller
15th April 2011, 08:27 PM
Runner

That is an interesting looking model. We haven't seen that type of hybrid here. Here we mainly have plunge routers with very occasionally a fixed base (eg makita 3601B, which at around $500 is very expensive for a 1.5HP machine!).

I should read the reviews posted. It looks as though it may not be robust. If you use a router under a table it inevitably is worked harder. I would suggest you look at a more robust machine for that purpose. You have a really good range of routers available in the States and they are cheap compared to here.

Remember that when you mount a router below the table you do have an additional problem of changing the bits. Some routers have a feature that allows you to change bits above the table.

It is also possible to buy extensions.

Lastly, I have always been wary of dual purpose machines. They often don't do any job at 100% and are fiddly to change from one mode to another. Having said that, I repeat that I have not seen one of these hybrid routers before.

Regards
Paul

damian
16th April 2011, 11:11 AM
As said you want as much power in a table router as you can while you want light weight and good balance in a hand held.

The makita and hitachi seem to be the most unkillable, the tritons seem ok quality but full of innovative features. If you were in Australia I'd say a mof would be the ideal first or general purpose router being powerful enough for the table light enough for the hand and full of great features, and they are on special at carabtec for $150 right now.

Given your in the US I'd be looking that a trade duty makita or hitachi, but I can't recommend models. Look for about 2 hp plunge router, soft start, must be 1/2" collet, and if it has micrometer/threaded depth adjustment and variable speed that's a bonus. Also look where the air is drawn in. At the top is good, near the bottom not so much because as a table router it works upside down.

Skil over here were consumer grade and only average but the name/quality relationship over there might be different.

Personally I think the hybrid/fixed bas router as a single router isn't necessary. Once plunge routers weren't as stable as they are now so fixed base had some real advantages, and they are generally cheaper. A modern good quality plunge router will lock in position reliably.

This is the triton:

Triton® Compact Precision Router : CARBA-TEC (http://www.carbatec.com.au/triton-compact-precision-router_c21654)

From ebay.com here are some possibilities:

If you really want hybrid:

Makita RF1101KIT 2-1/4 HP Variable Speed Router Kit NEW | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Makita-RF1101KIT-2-1-4-HP-Variable-Speed-Router-Kit-NEW-/190438126341?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item2c56ff3305)

That's about the same weight as the mof as it's 2 1/4 hp which is a good power.

Hitachi KM12VC 2-1/4 HP Plunge/Fixed Base Router Kit | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Hitachi-KM12VC-2-1-4-HP-Plunge-Fixed-Base-Router-Kit-/110667267503?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item19c4487daf)

Given the price this may be a consumer grade machine.

I couldn't find any makita/hitachio plunge only on ebay that were the right power.

Triton:

Triton Dual-Mode Plunge Router 2 1/4 HP -New | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/Triton-Dual-Mode-Plunge-Router-2-1-4-HP-New-/280658402310?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item41588b5c06)

Porter cable are said to be a good brand and this one ticks some boxes:

PORTER CABLE 97529 NEW 2 HP PLUNGE ROUTER KIT | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/PORTER-CABLE-97529-NEW-2-HP-PLUNGE-ROUTER-KIT-/290548721726?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item43a60da83e)

PLUNGE ROUTER Professional PORTER CABLE Model 693LRPK | eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/PLUNGE-ROUTER-Professional-PORTER-CABLE-Model-693LRPK-/170628864142?pt=Routers_Bits&hash=item27ba45d88e)

I don't know about models as they are rare over here.

There are some bosch blue (trade duty) routers on there also.

Hope that helps.