PDA

View Full Version : Taking WW casting to a new level

dai sensei
23rd March 2011, 10:48 PM
Well, not really WW, actually burl caps sliced up with the cut faces placed outwards and the natural edge cast into Pearlex coloured resins for pepper grinder blanks. They take 0.8-1.2 ltr of resin and most of a small burl cap, so the ratio of timber to resin will vary, and weigh 2.4-2.6kgs. I've sanded the casts roughly to 65mm square by 350mm long, then coated them with Gelcoat poly to bring out the colour and seal them.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=165139&d=1300880725

From left to right:

Red Coolabah with blue
Brown Mallee with yellow
Brown mallee with purple
Red Mallee with pink
Brown Mallee with white
Red Coolabah with maroon
Jarrah with red
I couldn't resist turning one, so also attached are photos of a Tas Myrtle burl with a mix of blood red dyed resin and Red-russett (maroon) Pearlex resin:2tsup:. Not for the faint hearted or inexperienced, you need very sharp drills and chisels, with a carefull approach to avoid chipping/tearing the resin.

Cheers

gawdelpus
23rd March 2011, 11:32 PM
I was lucky enough to see these in the flesh ,absolutely incredible ,in a few more years I might be ready to try one of these hehe, top marks Neil :) cheers ~ John

wood hacker
24th March 2011, 06:40 AM
Absolutely spectacular :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

mkypenturner
24th March 2011, 06:46 AM
they look great :2tsup: did you still put these in a pressure pot ?? and whats your mould look like ????

dai sensei
24th March 2011, 08:49 AM
they look great :2tsup: did you still put these in a pressure pot ?? and whats your mould look like ????

The mould is just one big rectangular box lying horizontally. It is made from malemine sheet from the secondhand dealer screwed together and then sealed with cheap hot-melt glue. The resin doesn't stick to the platic coating of the malemine and the holt-melt glue is easily removed after use. Takes just 10 minutes to strip, clean and re-assemble ready for the next pour, as long as the driver drill is charged :rolleyes:.

They are too big for my pressure pot, and mine is a big one, but it takes a number of pours, in the pot it is cooler. You can only use 400mls of resin max at one time or it cracks too much while setting, even with reduced catylist. I can only do it at night when temperatures are cooler, but even then if it is a hot night, I'll still get some cracks that need to be filled. I almost thought of putting it in the fridge, once I had initial set one night, when there was a low of 26C :oo:.

Apart from re-pouring any cracks, as I didn't use pressure, to ensure all the joints were stuck I flooded them with thin CA. After drilling, I also flooded the inside with thin CA, by forming a puddle and rotating them a few times(definately a mask needed).

Cheers

Harry72
24th March 2011, 01:01 PM
They look pretty trick... next bowl blanks :D

mkypenturner
24th March 2011, 10:29 PM
They look pretty trick... next bowl blanks :D

hey neil thats your next challenge :D

cookie48
25th March 2011, 08:36 AM
When you have some spares let me know

munruben
26th March 2011, 06:27 PM
Spectacular indeed. well done Neil.:2tsup::2tsup:

gawdelpus
26th March 2011, 07:36 PM
Hmmmm ! just thinking ,that's 18 full size blanks and 9 shorts in WW lol. :wink:

dai sensei
27th March 2011, 06:59 PM
When you have some spares let me know

The red and purple are reserved, but the others are available. Unfortunately due to the amount of resin/burl/pearlex etc and up to 2.6kgs, they will be $75 each with $15 P&H if you are interested. I could also be convinced to cast some more in specific colours if wanted, although I need to get more burls at the show in May.

Cheers

tea lady
27th March 2011, 07:47 PM
Pretty nice aren't they! :love:

seamus7227
23rd April 2011, 02:47 PM
Looks awesome! the colors of the resin compliment the wood beautifully!

Dorno
25th April 2011, 10:13 PM
MARVELLOUS is all i have to say:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Well done Neil

Cheers Ian

cookie48
25th April 2011, 11:17 PM
They look very nice. I have never made any grinders so could not be tempted to pay that price untill I have tried.