PDA

View Full Version : Question on multi color casts

Seer
24th March 2011, 08:23 AM
Tell me of I am wrong please.
I want to pour 2 or more colors so am I supposed to mix them in the cups and then wait until they start to gel then pour them into the mold in different patterns and slowly so they don't completely mix together? Single colors I understand just a little confusion on multi colors.
Thanks
Jerry

dai sensei
24th March 2011, 09:39 PM
Basically yes, it's all in the timing.

its_virgil
2nd April 2011, 01:23 PM
Mix the colors too soon and they become one: red and white becomes pinkish.
Wait too long and they will not mix and swirl because the resin is already jelled and can't mix.
As Neil said, it is all in the timing. You will understand much better once you try. You will quickly see what we are telling you and what you suspect. Now, go mix and pour and you too will see,
Happy Casting!
Do al good turn daily!
Don

Seer
4th April 2011, 01:04 AM
Well I was timing both colors and saw they looked like they were ready and when I poured the silver it started out nice and then became a jellyfish wjile the copper was perfect. Rounf one to the PR round 2 later today.

its_virgil
4th April 2011, 04:11 AM
Oh yea, some colors, dyes, or pigments seem to cure or jell at different rates.
What are you using for dyes? I would think that the powdered dyes or pigment would reach the correct pouring place at the same time. Several are using mica powders from Coastal Secnts.
Coastal Scents: Mica Powders (http://www.coastalscents.com/cfwebstore/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=35)

Try using Pearl Ex Pigments from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I use them for coloring two part epoxy for filling voids. They should work for casting.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Well I was timing both colors and saw they looked like they were ready and when I poured the silver it started out nice and then became a jellyfish wjile the copper was perfect. Rounf one to the PR round 2 later today.

its_virgil
4th April 2011, 06:10 AM
As noted, timing is very important. My experience, with liquid pigments, is one color will be ready and the other will not. They do not reach the same stage at the same time. Keep notes about how each type of pigment and the individual colors perform.

Consider using powdered pigments,. Many casters are using mica powders and they purchase them from Coastal Scents. Do a google search for mica powders and Coastal Scents will be the first hit and many others will follow.

I have been using Pearl Ex Pigments (powders) from Hobby Lobby and Michaels for coloring two part epoxy. I see no reason why they wouldn't work for polyresin. Actually, I made a blank a few evenings ago using Pearl Ex powder and it worked fine. I have not yet turned it. I actually just remembered.

Do a good turn daily!
Don