PDA

View Full Version : Do-able or dreaming???

TTIT
24th March 2011, 10:14 AM
I've never been to a WWW show before but plan on going to Brisbane's this year for one main reason but have just started to wonder if I might be kidding myself :shrug:
I want to buy a new 18" or better bandsaw but I don't want to be running all over Brissy to find/get one so my question is - Do the vendors actually have a good range there and if so, are they ready to collect from the show??? I don't want to come home without a new saw but I HATE driving around cities - so is it do-able or a dream?!?!?

munruben
24th March 2011, 10:26 AM
Some things are readily available at the show to buy and carry away with you but some of the larger items are primarily for taking orders from; such as Table saw etc.
You should be able to find a saw to your likings at the show and if not able to take delivery on the day, would be able to arrange for delivery or collection from the seller if they are based in Brisbane.
Why don't you ring a couple of the big exhibitors and ask if they have stock at the show that will be available for collection on the day.

TTIT
24th March 2011, 10:42 AM
.............Why don't you ring a couple of the big exhibitors and ask if they have stock at the show that will be available for collection on the day.Though about it but don't know who is likely to be there and can't find a listing :C

Grommett
24th March 2011, 12:54 PM
You could start with Carbatec and Garry Pye. See if you can find out who was there last year, should be a list in Aust Woodworking mag of that date 2010.

switt775
24th March 2011, 02:31 PM
Also beware that some vendors are still having a stand, but bringing fewer of the big items - a trend I've seen over the last 3 years. :((

Last year H&F had a stand, but I wondered why they bothered. I'm not certain, but I don't think Gary Pye even bothered, just ran a couple of specials that week.

So if you come, be prepared to do a bit of driving around to the various vendors, as well as spending some time at the show.

artme
31st March 2011, 08:34 AM
Vern, do as has been suggested and ring around.

TTry H&F, Gary Pye, Carbatec, David Drescher from SEQ Woodworking Supplies and Gregory's (Jet). You might be able to get an indiction from them of likely prices should they attend, or even twist an arme so they do a deal for you.

H&F and Carbartec are one and the same saw from what i can tell and are pretty much the same price and quailty. I don't know where GPW gets his gear these days but he was/is a Jet agent.

L R P
31st March 2011, 09:10 AM
Hi All
Some, Like Carba tec do not want to transport the items back to their shops, hence if you see and buy the one you want early in the show you can leave it on show at the stand then pick it up on the last afternoon.
Good luck

Barrie Restall
9th April 2011, 02:55 PM
Had the same problem last year; went to the show with a mate to check out bandsaws after going thru all the catalogues/websites etc. Really disappointed with H&F. Carbtec had good demo of their smaller machine. But lack of comparisan with others was disappointing. After the show the mate and I ended up getting a great deal from Gary Pye, two well made strong 2 hp18 inch bandsaws which Gary has made in Taiwan to his specs. They have been going well and handle all our needs effortlessly, very happy.

Sometimes a lot of time can be wasted checking around when a good recommendation will give what is wanted. The difference may only be a few dollars more but less hassle in the long run.

Cheers

Barrie

soundman
20th May 2011, 12:52 PM
I don't know if Garry Pye will be there this year.

If you are comming down from emerald, it might be worth the extra 100KM to go a see Garry at his shop.

Straight off the highway and a couple of turns and you are there..no city driving...and he could fork it straight onto your ute or trailer.

cheers

Pat
20th May 2011, 01:07 PM
Gary's not going to the Brisvegas WWW&T show. He does have a sale on tho.

Clicky (http://www.garypye.com/)

soundman
20th May 2011, 01:42 PM
Remember Garry and his family are straight players and doo good deals.

In the past his deals made a certain competitor so angry he tried to run Garry down in the car park.

cheers

TTIT
22nd May 2011, 11:01 PM
I did give Garry a call but he didn't have the model/specs I was after so I ended up doing the deal on the Jet 1800 from Gregory Machinery. What a beautiful bit of machinery :2tsup: - very heavy, very humble, all the bells and whistles and the only plastic is the on/off switch - now if I can just figure out how to get it off the back of the ute I'll be in business :C:B. Weighing in at 366kgs, it took 3 men and a forklift to lay it on it's back (still in the crate) and get it in the ute :think:

Cliff Rogers
22nd May 2011, 11:03 PM
I reversed my ute into the shed & used a chain block to lift it & the drove out & lowered it to the floor.

Cliff Rogers
22nd May 2011, 11:07 PM
Couple of pics here.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f13/moving-installing-heavy-woodwork-equipment-17929/index2.html#post223507