PDA

View Full Version : Warped Craftwood Doors.....HUH?

seriph1
1st December 2004, 07:29 AM
Hi all

Had a meeting yesterday with a potential client who has built a lovely new homestead in the Victorian Style - yes I know I said Lovely AND Victorian AND new..... The owners have spent a LOT of time and money getting details right and while I wouldnt have done many of the things, the overall look and feel of the place is superb.

...Anyway, I noticed something I regard as really odd - they have two sliding doors (pocket sliders ie. slide inside the wall) made from 40mm craftwood with glazed top sections that have warped .....dims are aprox 900W by 2400H (yup, big'ns)

granted both doors open into a laundry which in turn goes outdoors, but I wouldnt have thought these big heavy suckers wouldve warped, being craftwood.

Any ideas as to why and what can be done to fix them? :confused:

seriph1
1st December 2004, 07:31 AM
forgot to mention - they have these doors throughout the house INCLUDING one facing the same space - none of the others have warped

echnidna
1st December 2004, 08:23 AM
Its the moisture from the laundry.
Sounds like the finish hasn't sealed the mdf adequately.

seriph1
1st December 2004, 08:33 AM
Thanks for replying

hmmm ok - so the heat from the house generally, plus the laundry moisture plus the colder outside air has resulted in this distortion........ I wonder if there's an enamel that can help?