PDA

View Full Version : Mag Base.

Anorak Bob
27th March 2011, 04:32 PM
I have a number of magnetic bases including versions made by Eclipse and Starrett. The ones I use more than the the rest are a pair of 19 dollar little Chinese Noga copies.

They are fantastic. ( Ken, you need one)

BT

p.s. It's not the camera, the table's tilted.

neksmerj
27th March 2011, 04:44 PM
Hi AB,

They look great, is it a secret where you got them, and emma chisset?

That looks like a nice pile of cast iron dust you have there, was that just to make the shot look more authentic? That's a hell of a cutter, reckon I need one of those too, what is it?

As usual, great shots.

AB, please look back at the cleaning metal post, a question was put to you.

Ken

Stustoys
27th March 2011, 04:49 PM
I dont have the small one BT but I do have one of the big ones, they are great. I might have to pick up some small ones as well.
I was thinking the other day about Ken buying tools he might not need. At the prices of the imports it would be cheaper to have a few he dont use than buying the ones he does need locally. Either that or he might have to wait 3 weeks for something he needs.(if that makes sense. Maybe thats just the excuse I use to buy pretty tools lol)

Whats the little lever on the side of the DTI with the yellow face?

Stuart

.RC.
27th March 2011, 05:14 PM
I have a genuine Noga I got from the US..

You will never use anything else once you use one of those hydraulic clamp ones..

Anorak Bob
27th March 2011, 06:12 PM
RC.
I've been sorely tempted a number of times to buy a real Noga but I have 7 mag bases including the babies. One is a Starrett with a flexible segmented arm, I seldom use it. Having a single knob to lock the arm is a definite improvement over fiddling with a pair of rods and a pair of knobs.

Stuart,
The lever is for selection of backwards and forwards movement of the stylus. That's a fairly old Federal indicator.

KJ,
I keep a 44 gallon drum full of cast iron swarf for mood photos.
The cutter is an English PRESTO 1 5/8" end mill. It's handy having 2 horsepower to turn it. CTC, amongst others, sell the mag base. I bought mine a few years ago. They were about twenty bucks back then.

BT

Stustoys
27th March 2011, 06:47 PM
.RC. Are the "real" ones really hydraulic? I pulled my cheap one apart and its done with cams and pushrods.

BT So the needle only moves in one direction from its "home"(?) postion? That makes more sense than reading forwards or backwards with the needle traveing in the same direction like all the ones I have ever seen do.

Stuart

.RC.
27th March 2011, 09:57 PM
I thought they were hydraulic.... Maybe they aren't... They are smooth..

Stustoys
27th March 2011, 10:09 PM
.RC.
They are called hydraulic in some places, I was wondering if they really were. Although I don't expect anyone with a good one to pull it apart to find out.

I'll post some pictures of the workings of the cheap ones tomorrow.

Stuart

Anorak Bob
27th March 2011, 10:11 PM
Stuart,

A lot of old DTI's had a forward / reverse lever. Unlike my Mitutoyos which only have a clockwise needle movement, the old (and not so old "Last Word") indicators have a reversible needle movement.

BT

Stustoys
27th March 2011, 10:26 PM
BT
I've never seen the sense in the Mitutoyo way for movement. My good DTI reads 0.0001" so has a total movemnet of 0.022" but half of that is wasted :(
You sure have some nice tools.

Stuart

Anorak Bob
27th March 2011, 10:35 PM
Stuart,

If you reckon you'd find a use for it, I'll post you one of the Starretts. Send me a PM.
I need to cut down the collection. They are .001".

Bob.

Stustoys
27th March 2011, 10:42 PM
Thank you Bob. pm on the way but remember I type slow.

Stuart

Dave J
27th March 2011, 10:48 PM
I miss out on all the good deals. Good onya Bob:2tsup:

Dave

Anorak Bob
27th March 2011, 10:52 PM
Send me your address Dave.

welder
27th March 2011, 11:17 PM
i wish i knew how to read and use a dial indicator correctly i guess i need that experience you guys have

Dave J
27th March 2011, 11:56 PM
Bob,
PM sent.

Welder,
Which part are you having trouble with? I think I have a ex tafe book here explaining it If you want me to scan the page for you.

Dave

Stustoys
28th March 2011, 09:38 AM
Here are the pictures. I'm going to assume you can all work out how it works :)

Stuart