PDA

View Full Version : Which way to face polystyrene panels?

Sir Stinkalot
28th March 2011, 09:37 PM
Hi,

I am lining the inside of the Colorbond shed for two purposes:

1. Stop the radiant heat in summer. You can feel the heat radiating from 1m away.
2. Help with some sound insulation.

With thanks to the trading post (an some dope growers) I managed to track down some cheap annex panels, the ones with a polystyrene core sandwiched between a layer of Colorbond and plywood.

The question is do I have the Colorbond facing out side (facing the other Colorbond) or facing inside (ply facing outside)?

Due to the C channel there will be a gap of the thickness of a finger between the external Colorbond panel and the internal panel. To top it all off I also have some double sided foil insulation with the bubble wrap centre that I plan on attaching to the internal face of the C channel (which will have a 10mm or so gap to the polystyrene panel. All going well I think I may then finish off in plasterboard or MDF.

Cheers

Stinky.

RETIRED
28th March 2011, 10:09 PM
Generally the colorbond faces out. It forms the exterior wall.

In this case I don't think it matters much but I would think the ply is better to look at.

Claw Hama
28th March 2011, 10:25 PM
Yep, the ply will also absorb the sound better on the inside rather than the colorbond bouncing it back at you.

Sir Stinkalot
28th March 2011, 10:30 PM
Ok thanks ..... I will proceed with the Colorbond facing out.

AlexS
29th March 2011, 05:52 PM
Plus, the ply is easier to screw/nail things to.

banjoping
30th March 2011, 03:13 PM
Sir Stinky

The panel is designed with a finished face on both sides of the cladding.

Ie the colourbond normally would be clad such that it forms the exterior cladding, and the ply then becomes the surface you see from inside the shed.

Because you already have existing external cladding and you are screwing it internally, I would suggest you can choose to clad it with whichever face facing in you choose to.

Waldo
30th March 2011, 03:24 PM
G'day Stinky,

Those annex panels, is there a particular name for them?

It looks like a great solution with a dual purpose. :2tsup:

RETIRED
30th March 2011, 06:29 PM
G'day Stinky,

They have various trade names depending on who makes them, i.e.bondorpanel, panelphen, panelex to name a few.

If you google cool room cladding you can find heaps of em.

Waldo
31st March 2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks . :2tsup:

Sir Stinkalot
31st March 2011, 05:53 PM
G'day Stinky,

I just managed to stumble across them on the the trading post one day as the garage was getting far too hot and I needed to do something for next summer. Having had them previously at the beach when we had a holiday caravan I knew that they offer fairly good insulation properties and also will help a little with the noise.

The ones that I have are a little ratty around the edges (as they were previously used) however if they were new they would be a great insulation and lining combination with the finished ply on the inside it will be very neat. I am in the process of cutting mine down to fit within the framing cavity of the garage however if I was to purchase new I would get full height panels and then just screw them directly onto the C channel. Quick, clean and neat.

The reason for my question was I wasn't sure if having the ply on the outside (facing the existing external colorbond) would act as better insulation against the radiant heat than the other colorbond face. Something makes me think that having the colorbond facing the external colorbond will just heat up the air gap (cavity) and then transfer the heat into the annex panel. Not really a big issue as the heat then needs to transfer through the polystyrene and then the ply.

What I do like about the colorbond facing out is if there is any condensation it shouldn't cause any issues and I agree that the ply facing inside will provide less bounce back of noise.

I will take some photos as I progress!

banjoping
31st March 2011, 07:28 PM
I just managed to stumble across them on the the trading post one day as the garage was getting far too hot and I needed to do something for next summer. Having had them previously at the beach when we had a holiday caravan I knew that they offer fairly good insulation properties and also will help a little with the noise.

The ones that I have are a little ratty around the edges (as they were previously used) however if they were new they would be a great insulation and lining combination with the finished ply on the inside it will be very neat. I am in the process of cutting mine down to fit within the framing cavity of the garage however if I was to purchase new I would get full height panels and then just screw them directly onto the C channel. Quick, clean and neat.

The reason for my question was I wasn't sure if having the ply on the outside (facing the existing external colorbond) would act as better insulation against the radiant heat than the other colorbond face. Something makes me think that having the colorbond facing the external colorbond will just heat up the air gap (cavity) and then transfer the heat into the annex panel. Not really a big issue as the heat then needs to transfer through the polystyrene and then the ply.

What I do like about the colorbond facing out is if there is any condensation it shouldn't cause any issues and I agree that the ply facing inside will provide less bounce back of noise.

I will take some photos as I progress!

Stinky,

The whole point of the polystyrene is that it is an excellent thermal barrier with negligible conductivity, so it would not make an appreciable difference thermally how they are oriented in your situation.

As said above it is more a questions of aesthetics and functionality.

FenceFurniture
1st April 2011, 08:58 AM
G'day Stinky,

Www.foamex.com.au (http://Www.foamex.com.au/) have branches in four states with a great variety of grades, sizes, thicknesses, and have a type that has sarking or similar on one face. Very reasonable prices too. Refer to thread by "rusel" on "the shed gets a lining".

I used FL grade poly sheet (from foamex) to line my shed walls and have found it excellent for heat, cold and sound. I believe it has a fire retardant in it (in fact I'm certain it does).

Super easy to cut - score one side with a Stanley knife, flip, score the other, and snap. The score needs to be minimum 10mm deep. Incredibly easy to handle as it's 98% air. This makes it an excellent choice for insulating a ceiling.

If you're lining a cavity then you can get all the offcuts (and all those delivery containers that are recyclable but no one recycles them, and they end up filling your waste bin chocka and then won't bloody well fall out into the Garbo truck) and pack them into part of the cavity. Even the tiniest off cut can be used. All I threw out were crumbs.

Regards, FF