PDA

View Full Version : wood moves?

spencer411
29th March 2011, 12:47 AM
Just a little rant (complaint). While doing my apprenticeship I did mainly solid timber work at tafe but 95% sheet material work for a crust. Whilst at tafe they skimmed over the issue of wood movement and throught making assignments we weren't taught much at all about grain direction, age ring directions and what causes wood movement.

This gives me the poops because I now find it quite difficult to pick what to use for projects. I really believe that said institute and other schools should really touch base on this issue so that students have a good idea of what they're choosing for their projects, this way they'd feel 100% confident in what they're making.

This being said, does anyone know of any good website, articles touching base with this subject? Or does anyone have any gems of wisdom for us still learning?

Thank you for putting up with my rant and I hope you can learn something too..

Spence.

mn pete
29th March 2011, 04:02 AM
R. Bruce Hoadley's book "Understanding Wood" is excellent!

thompy
29th March 2011, 04:06 AM
Welcome to self directed learning :2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:. Google is a good start, take the frustration and channel it into your searches/ passion for learning, don't start with the final product start with the tree/ sapling/ environment, then look at the milling (past and present), public library is also a good hardcopy source of reading.

Also check out the tafe library if its convenient, you may not be able to borrow but they usually have a closer and more defined catalogue to your specific subject / course matter. The teachers probably remember the old sylabus's and could probably direct you to older no longer used texts.

enjoy.:U.

Chat to any old boy / ol school timer when you come across em in life, take ques from any source but verify it for yourself.

Materials science, there's a lot of paths to search on the info your craving an only you can descide the depth. Good luck.

Neal.

eddie the eagle
29th March 2011, 06:20 AM
HI Spence,

You need to look att h ratio of tangential to Radial shrinkage if you're unsure.

Stable timbers like Euro Beech are close to 1 (so if you have a quarter-sawn billet, it shrinks evenly)

Unstable timbers are way off 1.

This is the reason that Tassie Oak is always quarter sawn. If it's crown cut, then it develops huge shrinkage cracks on drying.

Not much help, but a bit. Sorry, rushing off to work.

CHeers,

eddie

AlexS
29th March 2011, 09:34 AM
There are some good articles in AWR by Jugo Ilich (sorry if I've spelt it wrong) on this topic. There's one in particular that gives values of tangential & radial change with humidity - I'll try to dig it out later.

seanz
29th March 2011, 10:57 AM
age ring directions

That's easy.....when you edge joint boards just remember this......

:):(:):(:):(:)

:;:U

Anyway reference books are good, so library access* , 2nd hand bookshops etc.

*Don't forget library inter-loans......your local library should be able to order in any book you like for the cost of a few dollars, try before you buy.

AlexS
29th March 2011, 05:48 PM
The article I'm thinking of is by Jugo Ilic in AWR No. 51.

China
29th March 2011, 09:55 PM
Make you wonder what they actually teach a T.A.F.E now days

AlexS
29th March 2011, 10:53 PM
Unfortunately the education system - not so much TAFE but the bureaucracy (http://www.governmentskills.com.au/) has been taken over by people who know nothing about the trade skills and are no great shakes as educators. From my observation, they are totally incompetent.

spencer411
30th March 2011, 10:13 PM
honestly my lecturers were pretty good but they always contradicted eachother. then we had to have 2 classes with 1 lecturer for quite a while, so we complained and were then lectured by the head of the department at balga tafe and told that we were both lazy and liers (a whole god damn 30+ people were liers and he is right). being that we were paying customers you'd think he might take on boar the constructive critisism.

if you have a choice, please do yourself a favore and don't go to this tafe...

Cliff-R
31st March 2011, 03:08 AM
R. Bruce Hoadley's book "Understanding Wood" is excellent!

What he said.

You can find Hoadley's book for free on SCRIBD