PDA

View Full Version : More things to try

dai sensei
29th March 2011, 09:38 AM
I scored the butterfly wings at TurnFest, FiremanSam arranged them for me. If any members have any hints about gluing/casting these beasts, please post.

The others are salt water crocodile jaw bones from someone I know from the farms up in Darwin. Although the teeth were removed, there were a few small ones stuck in the holes :wink:. Took a while to get all the necessary permits, moving them across state lines legally isn't easy :(. I'm going to cast them with coloured resins, turquoise, malachite etc. The farm is even going to sell the finished pens for me at the shop :2tsup:.

I'm off to Thailand this Thursday for a few weeks diving, so they will all have to wait until I get back.

Cheers

RufflyRustic
29th March 2011, 09:49 AM
Wow - Can't wait to see how these turn out, Neil:D

Hope you have a great time in Thailand :2tsup::U

Ironwood
29th March 2011, 10:20 AM
Cant wait to see the results Neil.

I have been collecting bits of Ullysis butterfly wings, as I find them on the ground at my place, with the intention of useing them if I ever get set up for casting. The vivid blue will make a stunning pen I think.

artme
29th March 2011, 11:52 AM
Great scores Neil!!!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

Don't forget that the colour on butterfly wings relies on very small scales. It may pay you to spray them with some lacquer or glue to make sure they stick and won't rub off with handling. I would use Tweezers to handle the wings. Fingers are too big and cumbersome.