PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out

Pages : [1] 2

wun4us
30th March 2011, 10:11 PM
Hello all...after working in garages, basements, under houses and other assorted places in my lifetime, I have now bitten the bullet and have a new 9m x 4m Colourbond shed with a 3m x 4m covered apron in which to pontificate and do my best to improve my woodworking skills (or lack of them!).

I would appreciate any advice I can get about what power tools I would need. I have largely used hand tools with the exception of a circular saw and battery drill, and intend now to use whatever power tools I can successfully master to further my interest.

So far I have now got a 19 yr old electric crcular saw that still cuts as straight as a die,2 Ryobi battery drills, a Makita 13mm impact corded drill, a Ryobi 1/3 sheet sander, Bosch mouse sander, Ryobi detail sander, Makita 1/2 (with 1/4 colletts as well) router, Bosch jigsaw, Ryobi biscuit jointer, Makita 82mm portable belt sander, 9" Ryobi angle grinder, 2 x Bosch 5" angle grinders (so don't have to change disc from grind to cut), Ryobi 10" compound sliding mitre saw, Makita scroll saw, and my latest acquisitions from E***Bay, a Hafco 14" bandsaw, Hafco 10" planer/jointer/thicknesser combination, and a belt/disc sander.

I believe that I would also need a table type saw of some kind, but am a bit bewildered by the various types available. Also would need dust removal gear.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Barry :?:?:?

jasons673
5th April 2011, 02:55 PM
Hi Barry, I can see your problem straight away, the equipment you have is far too hi tech, you should lock it all in the cupboard, and start like most of us did, with two blunt screw drivers and a hammer! :UYou have all the equipment you need right now, as your skills get better, you'll replace what you have with better tools. Also as your project get more ambitious, you need other tools like biscuit cutters, pocket hole jig etc. Before long you'll have more tools than you can poke your blunt screw drivers at! Have fun it, all happens bit by bit. Having a table saw is very useful, buy what you can afford, you can always up date to improved machines.

Bluegum
7th April 2011, 09:42 PM
Hi Barry,

Mate I reckon that you have a great tool collection to start with. I wish I had half of what you have got when I started out. I reckon Jason has it all covered in his reply.

Grommett
7th April 2011, 10:23 PM
Jason did a pretty good summing up. You have a terrific collection there. I would add a dusty for the bandsaw/thicknesser/jointer, a shop vac and a pencil. I just acquired a decent drill press after suffering years of a cheapie that drilled to 48mm depth, just that much short of a slimline blank. Oh, and a lathe is great fun. There is no end really, what about a linisher? Oh the madness continues.
Welcome to the forum, enjoy.:)

Oh, you got the linisher

rhancock
7th April 2011, 10:28 PM
I think most of the stuff on your list is on my wish list! If you send it all to me, I'll send you two blunt hammers and a screwdriver, and I'll throw in a saw with no teeth too.

Do you have any timber?:D

wun4us
8th April 2011, 11:02 AM
Hi Barry, I can see your problem straight away, the equipment you have is far too hi tech, you should lock it all in the cupboard, and start like most of us did, with two blunt screw drivers and a hammer! :UYou have all the equipment you need right now, as your skills get better, you'll replace what you have with better tools. Also as your project get more ambitious, you need other tools like biscuit cutters, pocket hole jig etc. Before long you'll have more tools than you can poke your blunt screw drivers at! Have fun it, all happens bit by bit. Having a table saw is very useful, buy what you can afford, you can always up date to improved machines.

Hi Jason. I've still got the 2 blunt screwdrivers and the old wooden handled hammer that my Dad gave to me, along with a very blunt handsaw about 55 years ago! They, along with some other items procured over the years, have served me well, and I have made some (to me) fairly decent pieces of furniture along the way. Unfortuntately, the ravages of time have caught up with me and I can no longer use hand tools for an extended period, so I have chosen to become "mechanised" rather than lose my one passion.

Grommett, thanks for your comments, I failed to mention that I have a 4 speedRhino 1 metre lathe with two types of adjustable heads, and (I believe its called) a "live" tail stock(?) together with 23 tools, on a heavy 2inch steel bench which I picked up a couple of months ago on E***bay for $170. I have not ever been fortunate enough to use a lathe since I finished school, so have been reading many books, although there is no substitute for practical experience.
Thanks for the dusty and vac suggestions, I guess that we get carried away with what we now have and tend to forget some of the more important OHS items. I had thought of the drill but have been undecided whether to buy a bench or floor standing drill.

Yes rh, got a fair bit, but none of the beautiful slabs yet. I have contacted a bloke at Oberon (about 70km away) who deals in slabs, almost anything he reckons he can get : The Wood Guys - Home (http://www.thewoodguys.com.au/)

Shed slab went down yesterday, yes with 2 thicknesses of plastic under it, and provision for a toilet inside (SWAMBO won't let me inside with dust on me!). Pic attached.

Thanks again all.

Barry

Sawdust Maker
9th April 2011, 09:17 AM
Get the Floor Standing model, you never know when you might need to drill a 10mm hole accurately in the end of a log - which will be 2 cm longer then your bench mounted drill press can take (it was a tool handle, if you need to know)

RETIRED
9th April 2011, 09:26 AM
Get the Floor Standing model, you never know when you might need to drill a 10mm hole accurately in the end of a log - which will be 2 cm longer then your bench mounted drill press can take (it was a tool handle, if you need to know):whistling2::D

wun4us
9th April 2011, 11:35 AM
Get the Floor Standing model, you never know when you might need to drill a 10mm hole accurately in the end of a log - which will be 2 cm longer then your bench mounted drill press can take (it was a tool handle, if you need to know)

Thanks for that, good point, although I guess I'd have to get a trolley system too to handle the log!

I've looked at a couple of bnch mounted ones and the depth that the chuck can move is in most cases not a real lot, and the plate can't be moved all that much either.

Christos
9th April 2011, 01:14 PM
Shed slab went down yesterday, yes with 2 thicknesses of plastic under it, and provision for a toilet inside (SWAMBO won't let me inside with dust on me!).

What about a sink to wash your hands after being on the Thrown.

wun4us
9th April 2011, 02:17 PM
Maybe use the old SS laundry tub I picked up at the tip......in good nick, sum ppl throw anything out.

fubar
9th April 2011, 02:27 PM
well lots of praise for the advice so far and heres some more . Have a look here http://torqueworkcentres.com/ wish I had bought one of these when I first built my shed I have one now and am really impressed with the jobs it allows me to do as a panelsaw it cuts down full size sheets with ease overhead routing brilliant copying attachment terrific drill press cant beat it. I love mine its the only true multipurpose tool I have ever bought that works well no matter what I've tried so far

Sawdust Maker
9th April 2011, 03:12 PM
well lots of praise for the advice so far and heres some more . Have a look here http://torqueworkcentres.com/ wish I had bought one of these when I first built my shed I have one now and am really impressed with the jobs it allows me to do as a panelsaw it cuts down full size sheets with ease overhead routing brilliant copying attachment terrific drill press cant beat it. I love mine its the only true multipurpose tool I have ever bought that works well no matter what I've tried so far

But does it make coffee?

Christos
10th April 2011, 09:07 PM
But does it make coffee?

Future attachment.

wun4us
11th April 2011, 08:16 PM

Looks a good device, but way out of my level of mechanical expertise.....and most likey the price. Almost set and forget machine! One day the mechanisation might reach the point where it will have become full circle and we'll be back to using hand tools to get some individual satisfaction from producing something.

wun4us
19th April 2011, 08:13 PM
Its arrived...te new shed inside the old "shed":D:D

wun4us
7th May 2011, 10:24 PM
Never thought I'd get this far!:B
Started after Easter on 27 April.....took a day to work out which bit was what, and then to figure where all the little bits and pieces like the various flashings went. Still trying to figure some out, but think I,ve got it by the short and curlies now (says he with fingers crossed). Very lucky no rain since started. Must say that the structure is very strong once up, hardly any movement at all, just a quiver when whacked with a 10kg sledgehammer at the top of the fascia...very impressed by the strength.
Door and windows tomorrow....then the sheeting:2tsup:

BobL
8th May 2011, 04:49 AM
Looks good - can't wait to see it all completed and cladded. :2tsup:

wun4us
8th May 2011, 01:41 PM
Looks good - can't wait to see it all completed and cladded. :2tsup:

Yeah, Bob, me too! Then I can get down to some serious tinkering.:D

Sawdust Maker
8th May 2011, 03:14 PM
Loved my meccano set when I was a kid - just might have to get one of these now I've growed up :D

lookin' good :2tsup:

wun4us
8th May 2011, 06:10 PM
Yep, Sawdust, what would we have done without THE Meccano sets when we were kids? :rolleyes:
Wouldn't know which nut to put where, let alone where does that bolt go?:)

danny.s
8th May 2011, 06:53 PM
Hey Barry

Looking good! Question if I may. I am about to commence my shed, and just getting through the scary part when you realise how much concrete costs! Maybe a stupid question but how important is the plastic barrier under the slab?

Danny

Christos
8th May 2011, 09:22 PM
Still watching. :2tsup:

wun4us
10th May 2011, 12:04 AM
Hey Barry

Looking good! Question if I may. I am about to commence my shed, and just getting through the scary part when you realise how much concrete costs! Maybe a stupid question but how important is the plastic barrier under the slab?

Danny

G'day Danny. The moisture barrier is very important; it prevents the rising of moisture into the slab and thus not only rising damp (which today is not much of a problem with steel sheds anyway), but keeps the air moisture content under control. In cold weather, the moisture is "sucked up" into the building and it makes working in there very damp and uncomfortable.

Also, building codes today require the laying of a moisture barrier beneath a concrete slab. Thge cost of the plastic is not a lot compared to the overall cost of the project.

danny.s
10th May 2011, 12:18 AM
Thanks Barry

I live in the Dandenong ranges so it gets very damn cold in the winter. I have received quotes but not asked if the plastic barrier is included - I will do so now.

Good luck with the shed mate.

Thanks again
Danny

pellcorp
10th May 2011, 08:34 AM
I had my shed built near Geelong a few years ago and no plastic underneath.

However we did get a crushed rock base installed underneath first and that seems to be providing extremely good drainage and I don't get any rising damp of any kind after 2+ years. Happy so far.

wun4us
10th May 2011, 01:58 PM
Noew that the shed is getting well towards completion, I need a table saw. Have looked over what is available, but would appreciate info from experience with different ones please. The keeper of the privy purse tells me that the limit is $1500

pellcorp
10th May 2011, 03:38 PM
Noew that the shed is getting well towards completion, I need a table saw. Have looked over what is available, but would appreciate info from experience with different ones please. The keeper of the privy purse tells me that the limit is $1500

See if you can push that limit to 2k. I would highly recommend trying to get a saw with a riving knife - this way except for dado cuts you can leave it on even if the guard is removed, it will eliminate most kickback.

Perhaps a jet contractors saw might fit the bill.

Not sure my budget for cabinet saw was 3000 as anything below the mid 2500 seemed pretty ordinary and did not have riving knife

pellcorp
10th May 2011, 03:45 PM
This woodman group saw has riving knife and I think a few members have it a steel at $1650

Was not available when I was looking

http://www.majorwoodworking.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=77_66&products_id=537

Also the MBS250 on the same site in an awesome saw for 1995 - I have the 12" version and it's really a great saw.

You can get both of these from WWWH in Melbourne too

Wwwh has the SB1012 for $1600 !

http://wwwh.com.au/webshop/EWWItem.csp?ID=ECM%7C%7C118519%7C%7C46

wun4us
10th May 2011, 09:40 PM
I had my shed built near Geelong a few years ago and no plastic underneath.

However we did get a crushed rock base installed underneath first and that seems to be providing extremely good drainage and I don't get any rising damp of any kind after 2+ years. Happy so far.

The use of plastic is optional for sheds, but when the slab is large (perhaps even 6m x 3m) then it is best used. My use of the term "rising damp" was not to imply that rising damp occurs, but to illustrate that moisture in the soils can, through capillary action, make the interior of the building quite moist, most particularly in the colder months.

Plastic is also used to allow the retention of the moisture that is in the concrete mix to be retained to allow the mix to cure sufficiently. Without a substrate, the moisture can leach into the soil rapidly, and the concrete cannot cure slowly enough. This can result in dryness and possible brittleness of the slab, leading to unusual cracking.

Each to his own, but any concretor that does not want to use the plastic membrane is only doing it to save money on the project.

Would yu use pins instead of nails to save money?

pellcorp
10th May 2011, 09:50 PM
We spent quite a bit on a thick crushed rock base in addition to the standard footings and a Helecopter treatment at end - no cracks at all and no damp for last 2 years.

wun4us
10th May 2011, 09:52 PM
This woodman group saw has riving knife and I think a few members have it a steel at $1650

Was not available when I was looking

Major Woodworking Equipment (http://www.majorwoodworking.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=77_66&products_id=537)

Also the MBS250 on the same site in an awesome saw for 1995 - I have the 12" version and it's really a great saw.

You can get both of these from WWWH in Melbourne too

Wwwh has the SB1012 for $1600 !

Woodworking Warehouse (http://wwwh.com.au/webshop/EWWItem.csp?ID=ECM%7C%7C118519%7C%7C46)

Thanks for your input PC. I am quite confused, particularly as I have not yet visited any showroom, as to the similarity of brands.

For example, the SB1012 you refer to looks vey similar to the Carbatec TSC10B and the Hafco 10H. I am sure that there must be some differences, but to the uneducated it is dazzling!

Unfortunately SWAMBO says "$1500 not a penny more". Different story of course when the new embroideryand sewing machine was wanted; $7K all up with the bits and pieces!!!! and all for no return eithe, just to sew etc for all the grandkids.

wun4us
10th May 2011, 09:56 PM
We spent quite a bit on a thick crushed rock base in addition to the standard footings and a Helecopter treatment at end - no cracks at all and no damp for last 2 years.

I'm sure that you will not have any problems, not a lot of people do. I just do not believe in doing any job by half measures. Always over engineer. Maybe I'm just a silly old fart, but nothing I have ever built has ever not lasted the distance.

pellcorp
10th May 2011, 10:00 PM
I'm sure that you will not have any problems, not a lot of people do. I just do not believe in doing any job by half measures. Always over engineer. Maybe I'm just a silly old fart, but nothing I have ever built has ever not lasted the distance.

I guess my point was a good drainage system under concrete can achieve the same as plastic.

Plastic is really important if the base is poorly draining, anyway not really the point of this thread just offering a different experience :-)

pellcorp
10th May 2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks for your input PC. I am quite confused, particularly as I have not yet visited any showroom, as to the similarity of brands.

For example, the SB1012 you refer to looks vey similar to the Carbatec TSC10B and the Hafco 10H. I am sure that there must be some differences, but to the uneducated it is dazzling!

Unfortunately SWAMBO says "$1500 not a penny more". Different story of course when the new embroideryand sewing machine was wanted; $7K all up with the bits and pieces!!!! and all for no return eithe, just to sew etc for all the grandkids.

Hi,
I would steer clear of hafco altogether I have not heard much good said about them on this forum.

As for the carbatec 10b - it does not have a rise and fall riving knife it only has a splitter a riving knife is a much better option in my opinion.

See if you can find another $100 and get the woodman that's what I would do. But go out to each store and take a look.

Wanita from WWWH might give you a discount on the woodman if you are in Melbourne.

Cheers
Jason

pellcorp
11th May 2011, 09:11 AM
The hafco 10H fence is not as good as the carbatec or woodman saws. I think with that saw you would get what you pay for - a cheap and probably nasty saw!

wun4us
13th May 2011, 11:34 PM
Well, for good or bad, I picked up a bargain todat-----a Ryobi table saw still in its box unopened, from Bunnings for $179.

I know that the saw is less than desirable, but there are some things that may well suit a less than desirable saw. In the long run I think it will serve as a complementary saw to one of better quality, and be there for the rough stuff.

For $179, I couldn't let it go. Could flog it for more right away on E***Bay:cool:

danny.s
13th May 2011, 11:44 PM
That's a great price for the Ryobi!! Well done.

wun4us
15th May 2011, 07:41 PM
This week just gone has been terrible to do any work on the shed........bitterly cold and windy........wind comes so can't handle sheet iron! Not only that, on the one day bthere was no wind, it rained........that chinaman I run over years ago is still exacting revenge from me!!!:~:~

Today was a glorious day; at last after 10:30 anyway. Prior to 10:30 it was lovely sunshine and clear blue sky but the ice was still on the ground until then. When I plucked up enough courage (madness?) to brave the elements, the sunshine was great. Started to lay out sheets of wall cladding, ice between sheets, so had to stand them all upright until the ice melted away and the sheets were dry. Fortunately that only took about half hour so then gloves on again and into it! Slow and easy, had too many cut hands over the years handling sheet steel; I reckon I've lost enough blood and that's that.

Made some protgress but not as much as I would have liked, but slowly, slowly, catchy monkey. The end will come soon enough.

Some pics of today's progress attached as well as of the $179 table saw from the Big Green Shed!:2tsup::D

pellcorp
22nd May 2011, 10:36 AM
I used to have that exact ryobi saw table flogged it on eBay for $250 a couple years ago before upgrading to triton wc2k and then a mbs300 cabinet saw.

It's a reasonable saw but the mitre guage is a joke and the fence does not remain true if the wood is too thick or wide. you can probably clamp it on the backend in those cases, but you will probably be able to sell it for more than you paid for it if my experience is anything to go by .

wun4us
22nd May 2011, 01:12 PM
I used to have that exact ryobi saw table flogged it on eBay for $250 a couple years ago before upgrading to triton wc2k and then a mbs300 cabinet saw.

It's a reasonable saw but the mitre guage is a joke and the fence does not remain true if the wood is too thick or wide. you can probably clamp it on the backend in those cases, but you will probably be able to sell it for more than you paid for it if my experience is anything to go by .

Thank for the advice PC. I was aware of the inaccuracies when I bought it, but as you say, I could pass it on for at least what I got it for. The mitre gauge is certainly better suited to my 6 yr old grandson's toy sawbench! The fence couls be better, but I can construct a better one for use right now. It'll do until I can get more of that funny folding stuff you need when buying something.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sawdust Maker
23rd May 2011, 09:20 PM
Hey mate

can ya move ya shed ... ya blocking me view of the valley :o

wun4us
24th May 2011, 01:25 PM
Hey mate

can ya move ya shed ... ya blocking me view of the valley :o

Apologies Pockenholz....shed removed and pics of delightful landscape attached....no, its not raining, but could be close to a little of the white stuff.

wun4us
24th May 2011, 01:32 PM
Very slow, can't make much progress , waiting for one window. Not shed makers fault, I decided to add one for a bit more light.

Progress pics of last few days.:-

winboxes
28th May 2011, 01:10 AM
This week just gone has been terrible to do any work on the shed........bitterly cold and windy........wind comes so can't handle sheet iron! Not only that, on the one day bthere was no wind, it rained........that chinaman I run over years ago is still exacting revenge from me!!!:~:~

Hope you realize that the forum consist of members of all race.

wun4us
28th May 2011, 10:48 AM
So true.................................................

danny.s
28th May 2011, 11:51 PM
That is a pretty awesome view there Barry. Might pay to set out a little spot next to the shed with a chair so you can soak it up during your workshop breaks.

wun4us
29th May 2011, 10:30 AM
That is a pretty awesome view there Barry. Might pay to set out a little spot next to the shed with a chair so you can soak it up during your workshop breaks.

'tis already in the master plan Danny.:)

A nice 5m x 4m paved area overlooking the top of SWAMBO's clothes lines (which won't interfere with the view. Trouble is, all and sundry, including herself's friends, acquantences et al will probable use it b4 I can take a break.:((

Still, I've always got my add-on external timber store (currently mt) to repair to....small frig for water and other cool drinks might be an idea though!:D:2tsup:

Work on shed has come to a standstill waiting for another window......would you believe 3 weeks to make a window 1500w x 700 h? Nor did I!:no::o:~

Sawdust Maker
30th May 2011, 01:28 PM
Apologies Pockenholz....shed removed and pics of delightful landscape attached....no, its not raining, but could be close to a little of the white stuff.

Pockenholz huh - I thought I was being sworn at :o maybe another name for a drill :p
google is my (sorta) friend:2tsup:
Tis a great view - I agree with danny.s I'd spend a fair bit of time thinking things through looking at that view.

wheelinround
30th May 2011, 02:28 PM
Gee missed drooling over this shed build. Brrrrrrr Bathurst in winter, toasted thaw out in summer.

Is that Nick i see in the last sceen shot, all of which are excellent BTW.

Sorry please explain! awaiting new window? how this holds up roofing and side panels well away from said window :?

Not going to be ready by SWWS for new tools to grace it, then again Bathurst Show and surrounding Field days have more toys than you can see at SWWS in large scale format anyway.:;

wun4us
30th May 2011, 04:59 PM
SSHHHHHHHHH....don't tell SWAMBO.....got another little project to keep me occupied until window arrives. Really, I havent quite decided where to put it, and don't want to make rash decision. Thinking hard about maximum light penetration; one window in back wall; 6ft slider door in front, and 0ne full sheet clear roofing on each side. To balance the natural light, I'm weighing up the pro's and con's of where. Right now, it will probably be at the front on the right side looking at the door. I dont want to put any more cladding on ubtil I get the window, that way I can put it in with minimal cutting. Can't put roof on as wall cladding I am fixing high and the overhang would interfere. Also, I want one complete side of the shed without any window etc.

Another thing reared its head this morning...herself informs me that a PA door would be a good idea......might be too, but there goes another (best part of) a metre of wall.

Anyway, window should be here next week early, so back to the grind.:D:D

BTW the other small(?) task is removing (already done) the existing concrete driveway and laying a new one on a different perspective. Main part done, now to finish the edge decorations, and the surrounding blockwork before something else is found for me.:oo:

Funny though, I can hardly hear much nopw, must be the roar of the planes and guns from my service days, as well as the power saws:U:U:rolleyes:

wun4us
30th May 2011, 05:02 PM
BTW the weather is quite pleasant today, a glorious 14C outside and gentle rain.

As far as the Royal Bathurst Show goes, nought of interest to me there now.........only if one has plenty of the ready to part with.:-:-

wheelinround
30th May 2011, 05:11 PM
:o PA DOOR whats she think the big glass one is :roll: or does she mean PA door a flap she can shout through like a megaphone.

Mudgee Fieldays then if they are anything like Gunnadah's:D

wun4us
30th May 2011, 07:56 PM
Further negotiation this arvo convinced (?:~) the keeper of the privy purse that it would be too costly at this late stage (hope she doen't get it into her head to visit the big green shed and cost it out:o). You are quite right that it would have been closer for the shouting(?).

As an ex-pat of Mudgee from many years ago, and still being only 120km away, I can vouchsafe that the Field Days there are considered among the best there are. Many good deals are made and people left happy with their purchases. I haven't been to a Gunnedah one, although I did have an aunty lived there until she died a few years ago.

Bathurst Show is very much like a miniature version of the RAS in Sydney, something I haven't been to since the last of our kids were too old to take again...gues that would be about 25 or 30 years ago, certainly not since they moved to Homebush.

Christos
1st June 2011, 01:29 PM
Bathurst Show is very much like a miniature version of the RAS in Sydney, something I haven't been to since the last of our kids were too old to take again...gues that would be about 25 or 30 years ago, certainly not since they moved to Homebush.

I have not been either, no longer a kid and no reason or reasons to go. :U

wheelinround
1st June 2011, 02:21 PM
I have not been either, no longer a kid and no reason or reasons to go. :U

This is why Field Days came about, Field Days are for those who have grown up moved away from Show Bag with childish toys, rides and such like.

Imagine .........http://www.arec.com.au/country-energy-mudgee-small-farm-field-days.html

wun4us
2nd June 2011, 12:01 AM
Good excuse to see my brother again....he's the last of us still in Mudgee. 15-17 July should suit well at this stage; depends if I've walked away from WWshow in Sydney with anything folding left!!:(:(

Robson Valley
2nd June 2011, 04:14 AM
Going to be a great shed. Hope you get some heat in there for the winters!
I have one of those Ryobi table saws. Really needs some ballast for stability. I agree, it isn't much but I won't be building a house with it, either. Noisy little bugger, too.
Most use now is for cleaning up cants & slabs of western red cedar log for carving. I'll go on a binge with it for a couple of days, tidy up and get on with other things.

Christos
2nd June 2011, 09:36 PM
This is why Field Days came about, Field Days are for those who have grown up moved away from Show Bag with childish toys, rides and such like.

Imagine .........http://www.arec.com.au/country-energy-mudgee-small-farm-field-days.html

My next field day will be the working with wood show in Sydney. :U

wun4us
2nd June 2011, 11:32 PM
Going to be a great shed. Hope you get some heat in there for the winters!
I have one of those Ryobi table saws. Really needs some ballast for stability. I agree, it isn't much but I won't be building a house with it, either. Noisy little bugger, too.
Most use now is for cleaning up cants & slabs of western red cedar log for carving. I'll go on a binge with it for a couple of days, tidy up and get on with other things.

Actually it doesn't get very cold inside in winter, I have used my double garage which has not got any wall insulation, only ceiling, and its fine. The shed is getting the royal treatment though with R3.5 top and walls. Apart from that, I'll hope to move around enough to keep warm. Can't use wood heater, and gas/electric too costly to operate nowadays. Hark back to my childhood and teen years, we didn't have any heating at all in the house, and insulation was not heard of then.:D

A piece of 290mm pine over the leg braces with a sandbag has stopped the wanderlust. I can't complain about the noise though, reasonably quiet, but maybe I'm already deaf enough to not notice:oo::oo: Notwithstanding, it will have to do until I either win Lotto, or the jackpot draw at the pub on Friday nights!:2tsup::2tsup::2tsup:

wun4us
2nd June 2011, 11:36 PM
My next field day will be the working with wood show in Sydney. :U

And mine too....I'll probably spend all of my $100 allowance that I've been allocated from the privy purse. Come to think of it, maybe I can arrange for a bill or two to come in that need to be paid before the show......but that's being a bit sneaky..........still:-:-:B:no:

I'll likel;y get lost getting there, I haven't been to the city for 17 years now. I believe its at the old Moore Park Army Barracks area? Or the old RAS Showground? I dare say the buses from Central will be appropriately labelled:rolleyes:

Christos
3rd June 2011, 06:11 PM
I think that you might want to take a look at this site before you start your journey.

Everything Exhibitions & Events! (http://www.eee.net.au/showwood.php?id=sydney)

There is going to be a forum stand at the show http://www.woodworkforums.com/f12/calling-volunteers-forum-stand-sydney-twww-show-135831/

There was one last year and it was great to be one of the persons manning the stand. The entrance fee is waved if you volunteer. I find that talking to people that are part of the forum and putting a face to someone.

Do drop by at the very least and have a coffee or tea.

Glider
3rd June 2011, 10:43 PM
Or the old RAS Showground? I dare say the buses from Central will be appropriately labelled:rolleyes:

It's the old RAS Showground. Now called the Entertainment Quarter. You'll find all the info you need on the Sydney Buses timetable. Railway Square Haymarket to Moore Park.

131500 Transport Infoline - Trip Planner Confirmation (http://www.131500.com.au/plan-your-trip/trip-planner?itd_name_origin=Railway+Square&itd_name_destination=Moore+Park&itd_itdDate=20110603&itd_itdTripDateTimeDepArr=dep&itd_itdTimeHour=09&itd_itdTimeMinute=40&itd_itdTimeAMPM=pm&itd_anyObjFilter_origin=0&itd_anyObjFilter_destination=0&submit.x=52&submit.y=19)

Mick :)

Johncs
4th June 2011, 01:50 AM
Hi,
I would steer clear of hafco altogether I have not heard much good said about them on this forum.

As for the carbatec 10b - it does not have a rise and fall riving knife it only has a splitter a riving knife is a much better option in my opinion.

See if you can find another $100 and get the woodman that's what I would do. But go out to each store and take a look.

Wanita from WWWH might give you a discount on the woodman if you are in Melbourne.

Cheers
Jason

I was looking at bandsaws until recently. There's a Taiwanese manufacturer, OAV, that makes bandsaws (and other machinery). One buys it by tghe container-full, and presumably they will pain the goods with your name. With the bandsaws, there are some options such as the standard fence or a bigger one, the standard table or a bigger one, the standard wheels or heavier ones.

H&F and Carbatec both sell these machines, Carbatec's are fitted out with the bigger options, H&F with the standard ones. I can't imagine an OAV machine bought from one has better workmanship than one from the other. Eventually I bought from Carbatec although for about the same money I could have purchased the next size from H&F; I was concerned that the bigger one might be too heavy for me to unload alone.

wun4us
4th June 2011, 10:14 AM
It's the old RAS Showground. Now called the Entertainment Quarter. You'll find all the info you need on the Sydney Buses timetable. Railway Square Haymarket to Moore Park.

131500 Transport Infoline - Trip Planner Confirmation (http://www.131500.com.au/plan-your-trip/trip-planner?itd_name_origin=Railway+Square&itd_name_destination=Moore+Park&itd_itdDate=20110603&itd_itdTripDateTimeDepArr=dep&itd_itdTimeHour=09&itd_itdTimeMinute=40&itd_itdTimeAMPM=pm&itd_anyObjFilter_origin=0&itd_anyObjFilter_destination=0&submit.x=52&submit.y=19)

Thanks, Mick.

Looking forward :? to my first trip to the big smoke in 17 years!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Barry

wun4us
28th June 2011, 10:23 PM
Gee missed drooling over this shed build. Brrrrrrr Bathurst in winter, toasted thaw out in summer.

Is that Nick i see in the last sceen shot, all of which are excellent BTW.

Sorry please explain! awaiting new window? how this holds up roofing and side panels well away from said window :?

Not going to be ready by SWWS for new tools to grace it, then again Bathurst Show and surrounding Field days have more toys than you can see at SWWS in large scale format anyway.:;

Window finally arrived last Friday!!! :U:U

Its in and the wall cladding is complete...now for the roof cladding, guttering, downpipes. Hope to have that all finished by Friday weather permitting and me not falling from the shed roof :o:-:doh:

Its a late start every day right now, can't see anything outside until at least 10:30 for the fog...at least when it clears it leaves a beautiful day behind, and around 5-6 hours to work in, excluding lunch break, tea and scones, musing over the day and what has (or has not) been accomplished. Can't hurry these things, more hurry less speed you know :wink:

Glider
30th June 2011, 07:12 PM
Hoo-ray! It's taken enough time to get that window. BTW, did you buy your shed from the team at Molong?

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

rhancock
30th June 2011, 09:36 PM
I wish whoever built my workshop many years ago had installed either a plastic barrier or a drainage layer, as the concrete inside is constantly damp. I'm considering adding a plastic barrier and anther 50mm of concrete.

Christos
1st July 2011, 04:03 PM
On another thread you mention that once you are back on your feet, does that mean you fell off the roof? :o

wun4us
1st July 2011, 10:10 PM
Hoo-ray! It's taken enough time to get that window. BTW, did you buy your shed from the team at Molong?

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

No Mick, they either had not opened or not advertising when I originally contracted for the shed. Got it from Garage World, good well known mob, but would have preferred to get it reasonably locally, particularly from somewhere like Molong where things are pretty touygh right now!!!:sad1::sad1::sad1:

wun4us
1st July 2011, 10:14 PM
I wish whoever built my workshop many years ago had installed either a plastic barrier or a drainage layer, as the concrete inside is constantly damp. I'm considering adding a plastic barrier and anther 50mm of concrete.

Speaks loudly for NOT omitting the plastic underlay because of cost or because the contractor says you don't need it. Funny thing about concrete...pour it on the driest of substrate, and it will attract moisture beneath.:doh:

wun4us
1st July 2011, 10:17 PM
On another thread you mention that once you are back on your feet, does that mean you fell off the roof? :o

Can't bring the thread to mind Christos, but more than likely refers to the almost permanent lack of funds; I haven't fallen off the roof yet, the last time was in 1998 from a second story.....most embarrasing, they had to get a helicopter to take me to the hospital for an unwanted sojurn.:o:o

wun4us
2nd July 2011, 07:39 PM
Didn't make my deadline of Friday for the roof, inclement weather on Wednesday and Thursday; following some snow on the Tuesday; some rain and a tad cool and breezy!!

Got into it on Friday though, and have the roofing finished bar 6 sheets of iron (3 either side) which will go up tomorrow, hopefully before the afternoon cold and winds are forecast to arrive, it's not fun trying to put up roofing sheets in any sort of wind, be it a gentle zephyr or a gale !! Then to finish the flashings on the roof ends and the ridge capping. Basic shed then complete and I shouldn't have any bits and pieces left over.

Inside then to start...first to give the whole shebang a good clean out, then seal around the edges, where the steel meets the concrete, with expanding poly foam, as was mentioned in another thread and seems to me to be the best and easiest way to go. I already have the insulation, R4 batts which I will sandwich between wall sarking and either 7mm or 9mm plywood sheeting screwed to 30mm x 30mm "studs" spaced at 450mm centres, and screwed to wall girts, top purlins and a bottom plate. I have allowed for 60 of these, and have scrupulously saved them from pallets from a generous benefactor. They just happen to be the right length so no preparation is necessary. I know the batts will be rather compressed, but that will not affect the R rating much, and besides, they came at the right price from a friend who, among other things in his business, does home insulation and got caught with too much stock when Big Brother cancelled the (almost) free installation. Got it at cost so he didn't lose, and they are Bradford made in Oz, not the cheap ones imported from China.

Then next to see where we go.

Couple of pics with the roof nearly complete.

wheelinround
2nd July 2011, 09:42 PM
Looking good :2tsup:

I see a nice clear run from drive to workshop so as to sneak in new tools etc.

Bathurst Woodies are having a weekend coming up will possibly be there, its October. Mudgee is just round the corner and also hope to be there. :2tsup:

Christos
2nd July 2011, 09:59 PM
Coming together nicely.

As to other thread,,,nor can I,,,,just that you mention once you get back on your feet and so I read a few post up. Putting two and two together this got three. :doh:

BobL
4th July 2011, 03:27 PM
Looks great. What are you doing electrics wise.

I'd really recommend getting at least the wiring installed before the insulation and cladding goes in.

wun4us
4th July 2011, 11:15 PM
Looks great. What are you doing electrics wise.

I'd really recommend getting at least the wiring installed before the insulation and cladding goes in.

In hand Bob, 10mm2 from main board to shed, shed separately earthed, 2.5mm2 inside shed. 1 light circuit to cater for wall mounted CFL lighting, 3 power circuits with double GPO's spaced around the walls to be determined. There will also be one wired conduit run blind to the apex of the roofline in case I later want to add extra lighting. All single phase. Got to have a damened good reason to get 3 phase here and a home workshop doesn't wash with the electricity authority.

Sawdust Maker
6th July 2011, 05:44 PM
... Got to have a damened good reason to get 3 phase here and a home workshop doesn't wash with the electricity authority.

They obviously just don't understand, saracens :C

Did you pick up that tablesaw?

RETIRED
6th July 2011, 05:52 PM
Got to have a damened good reason to get 3 phase here and a home workshop doesn't wash with the electricity authority.You are fitting an air conditioner and induction cook top aren't you?:whistling2:

wun4us
6th July 2011, 06:47 PM
You are fitting an air conditioner and induction cook top aren't you?:whistling2:
Already got an air conditioner and could only get it suitable for single phase. Induction cooktop? Hell, with the price of electricity going up by 23% here, I'll probably have to get a fire pit in the backyard ...... but then if that happens I'll be forced to do all the cooking.....cheaper to use gas (got that anyway) or bottled gas.

I have a friend who built a new house out of town on small acreage and the electricity mob connected 3 phase anyway. He says that all those places get it as a matter of course there to overcome the possibility of voltage variation. He was over the moon, as he's a keen woodworker and used to rent a small factory unit so he could have the power. Now, he's built himself a shed that you could swing a semi around in, and all his gear plus more he bought darn near fills it up!!

Am I jealous???Naahh...'course not.:((:((

wun4us
6th July 2011, 06:52 PM
They obviously just don't understand, saracens :C

Did you pick up that tablesaw?

Had to settle for the Ryobi.....iuts single phase......its really infuriating sometimes. I don't know a lot about electricity except that you can't see it, only feel it!!!! But, the elec authority has a big transformer(?) box thingo on the ground almost at every street corner...all the power is underground. Maybe its not big enough cables to put out anytthing other than single phase here, only in the out of town areas, and in the industrial blocks.

Who knows, and I'm past caring now....the side of my head that used to continually hit the brick wall is very flat!!:C

wun4us
12th July 2011, 11:30 AM
At last...dry weather, but not much sun. It's been too slippery on the top of the shed, but finally finished it late Friday. Only gutters and downpipe to go outside:D
Then, inside. Got the power cables ready to pick up, and includes power points, pendants, three o/head fluoros down each side, individually switched (gotta save on the power now....watch that carbon), and some wall battens with CFC globes.
SWMBO informed me that now the shed was waterproof, all the tools and insulation stored in the garage, on her side of course, could go into the shed poste-haste....no arguments, carry out forthwith.:((:(( Consequently all that occupied said side has now been moved to the shed, and it isn't even ready yet!!!!! Hopefully I'll be able to keep everything on the one side while working on the other side, and vice-versa. Somehow though, more stuff seemed to arrive from somewhere and occupied my side of the garage, hence a jumbled mess (or probably more correctly a MORE jumbled mess) in there, including all the remaining bits and pieces for said shed. Women, can't live with them and can't live without them. Must have been a women who said that? :?
Not to worry, will keep the peace and say nought; easier.:roll:
Some pics of the roof, and the jumbled messes.:2tsup:

greybeard
14th July 2011, 07:33 AM
Hells bells !!! I thought my garage was the only one that looked like that!
I need a shed and 3 phase power (plenty of room here on acreage)
hoping to build one soon but SWMBO has plans for any renovations!

wun4us
14th July 2011, 10:05 AM
Hells bells !!! I thought my garage was the only one that looked like that!
I need a shed and 3 phase power (plenty of room here on acreage)
hoping to build one soon but SWMBO has plans for any renovations!

Yep, they usually do have plans...y'know the saying; the best laid plans of mice and men. :((

Us being the men of course, usually being whiteanted by the mice. Won't mention who the mice are!! :wink:

Said garage has in one way or another been in a constant state of disarray for the last nine years! My truck managed to be housed in there for the first year of it's life, and hasn't had the benefit of a warm bed at night for the last eight years!!!!...Time is coming verrryy close though.:2tsup::2tsup::D

cookie48
14th July 2011, 02:49 PM
Lucky bloke having new shed. I wanted to replace mine but swmbo has decided we need new room on house. There goes my shed, but. I do get a new lathe out of it.

wun4us
14th July 2011, 10:42 PM
Lucky bloke having new shed. I wanted to replace mine but swmbo has decided we need new room on house. There goes my shed, but. I do get a new lathe out of it.

Why not put extend DA to Council to include new man type premises . Never know, it might slip by SWAMBO and be not noticed until it's too late...:wink::wink::2tsup:

Mind you, we lived nearly 20 years at our last place, and there was no way that there was gonna be a man shed, and we were out in the sticks with plenty of room. Even offered at one stage to put it 100 metres away from house. Selfish reason there....couldn't here the yells; but she was one ahead of me, "no way you won't be able to hear me"............oh sweet mystery of life!!!!!:(:rolleyes::D

Glider
19th July 2011, 05:20 PM
Looking good Barry. :2tsup::2tsup:

wun4us
20th July 2011, 07:43 PM
Still a hell of a mess in the shed. Made the mistke of putting a new concrete driveway in at the same time; to save with the concretor; and bee putting up with "when ARE you goping to build the retaining wall on the driveway?":((:((

Gone on long enough, managed to dodge it for 3 months but the heat got too much, and my ears too red. Spent the last 4 days on the retaing wall, got about 3 days to go. Mixing the concrete in a barrow is hard yakka now, but gotta be that way:C

Back to the shed next week.:2tsup::2tsup:

wun4us
22nd August 2011, 12:03 AM
Damn and blast!:(( Getting back to the shed just didn't happen did it?:C
Got tricked into fixing up daughter and son-in-law's house ready to sell (again!). Finally got home on Wednesday night.

Into shed Thursday morning, fixing up foil wrap in walls, and fixing of timbers for sheeting. Got that far today on one long wall only. That will be completed before going on to other walls. Tomorrow into the insulation, and maybe even fixing sheeting:rolleyes:

Couple of pics of latest progress.

Christos
22nd August 2011, 12:23 AM
May just be able to guess where it came from. :U

Sawdust Maker
22nd August 2011, 09:42 AM
Christos

with those powers of observation you might just get your private eye licence :o

BobL
22nd August 2011, 09:58 AM
Looks good W4U!

wun4us
22nd August 2011, 10:09 AM
May just be able to guess where it came from. :U

Ah yes, Christos; gotta get a plug in for the big green one!

With that said, the only other hardware store here was and still is unable to supply short rolls of foil, they only keep the large rolls to satisfy builders demands. Talk about competition! Like many others no doubt, I have tried to support the local M10 store, but they just don't keep the rane anymore, nor are they even in te ball park with their prices. Prior to B coming to town they were the only hardware/building supplies, andhad the market. Since the opposition moved in, they have built a great new premise, about 4 times the size of the old one, and near enough to the same size as the local B, but don't have the stock inside it. There is in reality very little choice more often than not.:(:C

I might add that all the timber used in the construction of the shed is of doubtful origin, but of the genus palliatus variagatum, and all cut to size from the source.

wun4us
22nd August 2011, 10:53 PM
Today, wall insulated, and sheeting prepared for fitting tomorrow.:)
Next to undercoat and paint with an appropriate colour...problem, how to use the colour I want, not the one that SWAMBO wants me to use. Maybe do it while she is away on Friday? and put up with the deafening silence:2tsup:aahhh...silence; music to my ears!!!:p:rolleyes:

Pics of insulation installed.

wun4us
23rd August 2011, 10:58 PM
Lining completed on one wall today....easier than I thought it would be too.:rolleyes:

wun4us
9th September 2011, 11:10 PM
Just a brief update on the sloowww progress of the shed.. Between the last post and now, I've spent another 5 das in Newcastle helping daughter and useless son- in-law get house ready for sale; that is finished at last!! I've finished painting the half of the shed that's lined, moved all the stuff inside to that side, and started putting the battens and srking on the other half. Ordered another window and that will be delivered next Monday 12th Sept. Starting to come together nicely now, hopefully will be finished in the next 2 weeks. Pics attached.

Lawrst
10th September 2011, 09:49 AM
Looking good mate!

BobL
10th September 2011, 09:51 AM
Starting to come together nicely now, hopefully will be finished in the next 2 weeks. Pics attached.

:2tsup:

wheelinround
10th September 2011, 10:41 AM
I'd be telling the SiL suck it up lad get some B%%$s

Shed looks good can see where you have left for the additional window :2tsup: still reckon one down the far end would have been good so you can ponder the world in winter viewing out there.:U

coffenup
11th September 2011, 08:46 AM
what size timber you using & is it just in front of the rails or up against the iron on the side of the shed
and whats the linning material MDF?
regards Michael