PDA

View Full Version : Weaving a seat

spencer411
31st March 2011, 04:09 PM
Hi guys and gals can someone please help me out with some links to tutorials or articles about chair seat weaving? Along the lines of this Öresund by Børge Mogensen at Decopedia (http://www.deconet.com/decopedia/object/1782/Öresund_by_Børge_Mogensen) also if anyone knows of some leather seat weaving too. Thanks so much gang. Have a great day.

Woodwould
31st March 2011, 04:42 PM
Those images are small, but it looks like Marram (Seagrass) to me. You can buy it (and related books) in most craft shops... maybe even on eBay. If you get the grass, I can talk you through it.

Woven leather seating is done with tanned hide. You'd need to buy at least one hide and a saddle maker's strap gauge. You set the gauge at whatever width you desire and starting at a point on the outside of the hide, you start cutting around the perimeter of the hide in ever decreasing 'circles' until you have a humungously long strap. Then weave the seat with it damp and as it shrinks, it tightens nicely. It's actually all very easy, but it would be worth having a practice before committing to the chairs you want seated.