PDA

View Full Version : Strip Magnets

Jim Grant
31st March 2011, 04:18 PM
I've been hunting for strip magnets to mount on the walls to hang tools from. Nothing seems to be available in tool shops or on e-bay. Has anyone used them and if so where did you find them please?

Big Shed
31st March 2011, 04:30 PM
I know it probably won't help you much, but I bought 3 magnetic strips from Aldi a few months ago, each one came in a set with 2 magnetic dishes, 1 round, 1 oblong..

John Saxton
31st March 2011, 05:02 PM
I got mine from the "Snap-On Tools" guy who had his mobile Van at the local show .
Suggest look up Snap On for a local franchise guy in your area.

Cheers:)

opelblues
31st March 2011, 07:16 PM
i got mine out of a fridge door seal, from the dump/recyl for nil cost

bsrlee
31st March 2011, 09:03 PM
Check out the kitchen section of a few supermarkets, they are mainly sold for hanging up cook's knives.

Then when you bump them, the knives can fall further & make a bigger hole in your foot/lino.

metester
31st March 2011, 09:33 PM
Try here Magnetic Tool Holders - Frenergy Magnets (http://frenergy.com.au/categories/Magnetic-Tool-Holders/).

I used them recently and they were very good to deal with.

Bushmiller
31st March 2011, 10:12 PM
Carbatec. 24". p286 in their catalogue $29. Metester's magnets look cheaper but you need two of them plus postage.

Regards
Paul

cookie48
31st March 2011, 10:56 PM
Got mine fro Kitchen ware shop. Work a treat for light stuff. No bloody good for anything heavy like a chisel etc

arose62
1st April 2011, 03:05 PM
Saw them in at least 3 different $2-shops on Wednesday, for $4 or $4.50 for a 30cm magnetic holder.

Cheers,
Andrew

Jim Grant
1st April 2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks fellas,
The cheap ones seem to be more dangerous than useful. I'll keep looking until I find the magnets that will hold chisels etc.
Many thanks.

AJMacca
1st April 2011, 08:50 PM
I hear that IKEA have them, if that helps

RufflyRustic
3rd April 2011, 09:36 AM
what about Rare Earth Magnets (http://aussiemagnets.com.au/)?

cheers
Wendy

Bushmiller
3rd April 2011, 02:13 PM
what about Rare Earth Magnets (http://aussiemagnets.com.au/)?

cheers
Wendy

Good idea. Available through carbatec, for example, or on ebay. Glue them between a couple of strips of metal and fix them to the wall. Make them whatever length you want. Might be just as quick and cheap to buy the Carbatec 600mm strip.

I have the same 600mm bar although I bought it from Total Tools in Toowoomba. It will hold just about any metal tool.

Actually there have been a few human ones I would have like to have stuck up there too:D.

Regards
Paul

Sawdust Maker
3rd April 2011, 07:08 PM

Actually there have been a few human ones I would have like to have stuck up there too:D.

Regards
Paul

Nah

you need a decent bailing hook for those tools :2tsup:

Bushmiller
3rd April 2011, 08:01 PM
Nah

you need a decent bailing hook for those tools :2tsup:

Yeah, and you get to choose where you put the spike:D.

Regards
Paul

bsrlee
4th April 2011, 10:13 PM
If you use a 'strong' magnet for holding tools that need sharpening, it will eventually magnetise the tool, and when you try to sharpen in, all the swarf will be strongly magnetised & stick to the tool like S##t to a blanket.

For smaller tools one of the 'magnetiser/demagnetiser' gismo's may work.

filray
6th April 2011, 01:31 PM
Hi there,

I use two Snap-On strips in my work 4WD over rough dirt roads and they hang on like
the proverbial. They are not cheap but compared with ones in our kitchen holding up
knives they are just magic.:2tsup:

Ray R.