PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Value

fixer
1st December 2004, 10:21 PM
I Found An Old Wood Lathe That Had Been In A Fire And Was Ruined.i Stripped It Down Cleaned And Repainted It.it Also Needed A New Motor. It Now Looks Brand New Once Again. The Model Is A Corenet #2 (i Think) Made By Record In England .does Anyone Know The Value Of This Lathe Second Hand As I Can No Longer Fit It In My Workshop.cheers

smidsy
2nd December 2004, 12:35 AM
The critical info you need, is is it a swing or fixed head, do the head and tail stock have morse tapers, how many speeds is it, what is the bed length (this determines the size work it will take) and what is the swing - swing determines the size of the work it will take.

The answer in a nutshell is probably not a lot, unless the lathe has historical value or you find someone who is in to old english gear.
The current standard for entry level lathes is the MC900 which has 900mm bed, 300mm swing, mechanical variable speed and comes ready for work for less than $400.

Cheers
Paul

gatiep
2nd December 2004, 01:42 PM
"The current standard for entry level lathes is the MC900 which has 900mm bed, 300mm swing, mechanical variable speed and comes ready for work for less than $400."

Wow!!!

:)

smidsy
2nd December 2004, 03:39 PM
Joe,
A nice guy like you wouldn't be takin the p*ss out of an even nicer guy me would ya :rolleyes:

Paul

Termite
2nd December 2004, 03:47 PM
Paul, make allowances mate, he's 91 years old. :rolleyes:

Optimark
2nd December 2004, 05:10 PM
I think that there is an even cheaper entry level wood lathe. The GMC 1000 wood lathe, sells for about $150-160 or thereabouts.

I've seen one and saw it working, for the cost, especially as it comes with a two year replacement home use guarantee, is quite incredible.

I know it's not highly specified, but it's a lathe and it works and it's capable of holding 1,000 mm of stock.

Mick.

smidsy
2nd December 2004, 06:01 PM
The GMC is a heap of ***** and without exageration should not be called a lathe - do a search on this forum and you'll get the info.
Cheers
Paul

gatiep
2nd December 2004, 08:04 PM
Hey Paul,

Offcourse not! ( lol ).Your last post sounds like an echo ............

I don't know if the GMC mentioned is the same as the $89 one in the big B. If it is or if it is the same quality...............Do I hear another echo?

:)

smidsy
2nd December 2004, 08:14 PM
Hei Joe,
The GMC Website only lists one lathe (or should say cheap & nasty device that has a vague resemblance to a lathe) but they do it with or without a stand and a set of chisels.

I'm thinking of putting a turning website which will mainly be links and info but if I do that I might also do a direct comparison between the GMC and the MC900.

Cheers
Paul