PDA

View Full Version : It's finally here!!

sturina
31st March 2011, 10:05 PM
After being so busy at work I'm finally on leave! With the thought of some time in the shed I headed of to Carba-tec and got my new lathe, an MC900. At first I was disappointed, that was because no neighbours were home to help get it out the box and on the bench. After I set it up it is great, especially coming from my Briggs Crompton (basically a dynalink/GMC type). I have a big pile of blanks building up, so now it is time to turn, turn, turn.

Nai84
31st March 2011, 10:21 PM
Hey sturina

Nice well many happy times ahead and all the best with the holidays did you get any bits and pieces to mgo with your new toy

Ian

gawdelpus
31st March 2011, 11:38 PM
Nice bit of gear to play with there :) at least if you want to go on and do bigger stuff you have room to move ,sounds like a labour of love to get it set up on your own though , I think 2000 RPM will be as much speed as you need ,most like to turn flat out ,but my cheap chisels like a more sedate pace hehe, less sharpening ,more time turning lol. I started doing pepper grinders as a change from pens , they don't quite fit in my Midi woodfast so I rough them in a metal lathe ,then finish on the woodfast. You won;t get that problem at least :). Cheers and have fun ~ John

Avery
31st March 2011, 11:49 PM
. I started doing pepper grinders as a change from pens , they don't quite fit in my Midi woodfast so I rough them in a metal lathe ,then finish on the woodfast. You won;t get that problem at least :). Cheers and have fun ~ John

Sorry.

I think this is a thread HIJACK but whatthe...

I was just about to buy some peppermill kits as a change up from pens. Why won't they fit in your ( and hence my) superbly sound little yellow lathe.

Most disturbing this new is...

sturina
1st April 2011, 07:48 AM
Hi Nai.

I did mahage to pick up a few more things whilst there. I cam back with a new square nose scraper, jacobs chuck, dust extraction bits, pen mandrel and more. I was looking at the hollowing tools but that is for another day.

Pepper mills are something I have not got onto yet, but is on the list. I do love the handle for changing speeds instead of playing with the belt and pulleys. Finished one tube last night and did the outside of a huon pine bowl, could be a fun day!

Les in Red Deer
1st April 2011, 02:19 PM
Looking forward to seeing your first lathe turning.

Les

thompy
1st April 2011, 06:35 PM
Following this, really interested to see how the changeover from the old to the new goes for you, did you have to buy an adaptor for your old chuck?

*in a whispered voice so the swmbo wont hear* - didn't you have a pen mandrel already?

i'm soon to be in the dynalink situation myself as you know, so i am very keen to see how it all goes, and my choice would have also been the mc900 based on budget room and capabilities (mostly budget).

looking forward to more Sturina,

Neal.

sturina
1st April 2011, 08:14 PM
Hi thompy

The difference so far is amazing. I really love the speed control. I do have a pen mandrel already but bought a second for the convenience. Its great to be able to use the morse taper on the mandrel rather than have the mandrel in the chuck, so much more stable.

I had to buy a new insert for the chuck ($31 from Carrols) as the spindle is much thicker on the new lathe.

The first pen is done and it was a lot easier and no wobble like i had been developing on the previous lathe. I will post some pics when i take them.

sturina
2nd April 2011, 08:06 AM
Thought I'd better add a picture of my new baby.

thompy
2nd April 2011, 06:13 PM
lovely, and a segmented pen in progress too no less..:2tsup::2tsup: