PDA

View Full Version : SIEG KX3 on ebay ending today

Gunnaduit
1st April 2011, 03:28 PM
I'm really surprised that hardly anyone has bid on the Sieg KX3 CNC mill that is up for grabs on ebay. It ends later this evening (Friday 1 April). Look for

CNC Milling Machine Sieg KX3

No, I haven't a clue who is selling, it's nothing to do with me, but its a shame that about $9000 of new equipment, a total full kit with all accessories, is going for $1500. I'd bid but I've already got one ;P

Dave J
1st April 2011, 03:44 PM
It will probably shoot up in the last hour or so, most ebay things do. I have been watching things for little money only to see it go way over what it was even worth.

Dave

Gunnaduit
1st April 2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah, that'd be me, buy too high. But then, any time I try to sell, it sells out low. How does it happen -- frightened to even contemplate selling my spare Myford Super7 coz that'll be the week everyone decided to unplug their computer and it goes for $200 to someone who thought they were overbidding on a car badge.

Dave J
1st April 2011, 04:08 PM
LOL, thats seems to be the way it goes with me as well.
The best thing to do is put a reserve on it or a high buy it now with make an offer.

Dave

Dave J
2nd April 2011, 09:11 PM
Sold for $5000

Dave

Greg Q
2nd April 2011, 09:44 PM
Is it just me or are most things on OzBay too dear? I tend to buy most of my tooling on YankBay or GermBay because of the crazy prices things sell for here. (Great for when I'm selling, but I rarely do that).

It's only the infrequent buy-it-now price that's very low that entices me these days.

That was great deal on the X3 CNC if its in good shape. Usually the things that tempt me go for 70% of new price.

snowyskiesau
2nd April 2011, 09:48 PM
$5000 was not too bad considering a new one would set you back over $8000.

I was watching this sale hopefully for a few days but was secretly happy that it got out of my price range. I've now idea how I would have gotten up to Queensland to pick it up!

Greg Q
2nd April 2011, 09:50 PM
$5000 was not too bad considering a new one would set you back over $8000.

I was watching this sale hopefully for a few days but was secretly happy that it got out of my price range. I've now idea how I would have gotten up to Queensland to pick it up!

LOL. Haven't we all been there before!:cool:

Dave J
2nd April 2011, 10:03 PM
Yep, been in the same situation myself and was glad it went up.

Greg,
A lot of people that I speak to wont buy overseas because it's too risky etc, so I think thats why things go for more here.
Some gear just amazes me of the price it goes for, when you could have a brand new one delivered from overseas for a lot less.
I also notice some sellers will have a buy it now on an item. In another listing they list it as an auction and the auction bidding goes over the buy it now price.:no:

Dave

Greg Q
2nd April 2011, 10:25 PM
I think I bought my first overseas purchase when I was ten years old, and have been doing so ever since. I haven't had a problem yet in what must be 1000+ transactions by now. That includes buying from the Ukraine, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, UK, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, USA, Canada, Argentina, Ireland, Spain, Denmark, Israel and Estonia. Oh yeah: China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Korea. And Malaysia,Thailand, Japan and South Africa.

I think people are for the most part honest, or want to be. Dedicated scammers rarely have traceable addresses and details. A few minutes spent on due diligence quickly raises doubts where doubts are called for. Then its a simple matter of walking away from the deal.

Still, I'm surprised at how much more we Aussies are willing to pay for things in this age of instant and free price discovery. Back in the days of the Telex machine and strict import controls I could see it, but not now.

snowyskiesau
2nd April 2011, 10:32 PM
With some tools, the limited local distribution of them can make it difficult to know what is a good, local price. If more people were members of forums like this one, they could ask questions about the value of tools they know little about - I know I have :)
It's surprising just how much out of their way some people will go to help a complete stranger if it's via a shared interest forum.

OT - sort of. I'm looking to buy a van but know nothing at all about motor vehicles so I joined a van forum a few days ago to learn more and to ask questions about particular models in which I'm interested, information that can be difficult to find unless the vehicle is less than a few years old. I had answers to all my questions within a day.
Several people provided links to van for sale and in some cases, information about the vans history. When I'd narrowed down the particular van I wanted to buy (auction), a member of the forum who was close to the sale offered to go and look it over and give me his opinion . He went further than that and got not only the full written service history but a diagnostic printout from the manufacturers service computers that show every error code the vehicle has ever produced. No charge for this, just a shared interest.

Dave J
2nd April 2011, 10:35 PM
I have only had a few bad deals and they where under $20 which was not worth chasing up.

Dave

Greg Q
2nd April 2011, 10:40 PM
I've found that too. In fact, I have made a couple of real, dear friends out of anonymous internet exchanges. I have a couple more simmering too!

The dynamics of forums is interesting-I am often more willing to help fellow travellers along a particular path than I am with people I meet. I guess having arcane and esoteric interests means that internet buddies always have more in common with me than people plucked at random from the common ebb and flow of life, and are treated with more generosity consequently.

GQ

Greg Q
2nd April 2011, 10:43 PM
I have only had a few bad deals and they where under $20 which was not worth chasing up.

Dave

Which brings up another point: Most of my international buying is via ebay, and using PayPal as a payment vehicle. As everyone knows by now PayPal offers buyer protection. In my many transactions I've used it three times.(twice locally BTW). It does take the worry out of some of those deals that are just a little bit too good to be true:wink:

Dave J
2nd April 2011, 11:51 PM
I tell them about Paypal protection, but it falls on deaf ears, their loss my gain.:D

Dave

neksmerj
2nd April 2011, 11:52 PM
A few years back, I committed a cardinal sin, I bid on an almost new iphone from a female seller in Sydney.

My kids always label me with being an old fuddy duddy, so this time I'll show them who's got the latest gadget.

The seller had zero feedback which should have rung alarm bells from here to the Eastern Suburbs.
Zero feedback is somewhere all new sellers have to start at. My reasoning.

I made the purchase via PayPal, at least some sort of sense kicked in.

Waiting, waiting, waiting, nothing. A check with PayPal revealed my payment had been made to the seller's bank account. Where's the goods?

By now the seller was long gone, no replies from my emails. I'd been skun. Nice feeling.

eBay and PayPal were pretty good about it, and offered to reimburse me a percentage of what I had lost. So, a lesson was learned.

Ken

Greg Q
3rd April 2011, 12:02 AM
A few years back, I committed a cardinal sin, I bid on an almost new iphone from a female seller in Sydney.

My kids always label me with being an old fuddy duddy, so this time I'll show them who's got the latest gadget.

The seller had zero feedback which should have rung alarm bells from here to the Eastern Suburbs.
Zero feedback is somewhere all new sellers have to start at. My reasoning.

I made the purchase via PayPal, at least some sort of sense kicked in.

Waiting, waiting, waiting, nothing. A check with PayPal revealed my payment had been made to the seller's bank account. Where's the goods?

By now the seller was long gone, no replies from my emails. I'd been skun. Nice feeling.

eBay and PayPal were pretty good about it, and offered to reimburse me a percentage of what I had lost. So, a lesson was learned.

Ken

Yup, you have to be diligent about filing non-delivery claims before the expiry date. That way you get 100% reimbursement (maybe minus shipping) It's funny that 2 out of 3 problems I've had have been with local sellers. Being 6'6" tall usually makes those problems go away quickly:wink:

Repeat after me: "PayPal, ShmayPal...I'm taking your liver". It works great.

neksmerj
3rd April 2011, 01:04 AM
6' 6" tall, I thought you were taller to reach the liqueur cupboard up above the wall oven?

I've always had to get the step ladder out to pour myself a drink.

Sorry, just ignore me, I'm having a bad day.

Ken

Stustoys
3rd April 2011, 01:13 AM
lol
The only problems I have had have been fixed by the seller. Broken DRO scale, a set of 1,2,3 blocks that weren't quite 1,2,3 a light with a broken fluoro other stuff that didn't turn up replacements were sent no questions asked, in once case the package was returned to the seller, the seller emailed me, I said I was happy that I had received everything I had ordered but they sent it anyway so now I have two. Except one and paypal was useless, the registered return postage was twice what the item cost. No big deal, it cost me about $20, still I have saved far far far more than that.
Stuart