PDA

View Full Version : not so tru-stone

texx
2nd April 2011, 04:49 PM
is it just that i am unlucky or has anyone else had dodgy tru stone blanks .
i got some blanks quite a while back now and have been saving them or using them sparingly .
anyway i decided to turn this one ( cant remember the name of it ) and fit it to a cambridge pen .
when i had the cap end turned down to size and sanded all but the micro mesh stage 3 green dots show up in the blank ( read not happy at all ) so i had to skim a bit more off the blank than i wanted with the skew to try and get rid of the blemishes , got rid of 2 of them but the other is to far in to turn away .
looks to me like contamination in the resin when poured .
sorry about the pic quality but you can see the green contamination in the blank on the right hand end , sticks out the proverbial dogs thingees .
johno

texx
2nd April 2011, 05:23 PM
just turned the other half of the blank , same thing one bl**dy green dot in the blank .

texx
2nd April 2011, 05:31 PM
adding a better pic , one micro meshed one just course sanded .
these never came from the tube out because i managed to turn 2 of the marks away .

mkypenturner
2nd April 2011, 05:50 PM
hey texx
if it was only the cap end i'd hide it under the clip as for the pen end ...:?:?

texx
2nd April 2011, 06:04 PM
hey texx
if it was only the cap end i'd hide it under the clip as for the pen end ...:?:?
yep you could but it aint its both ends .
and i dont have any spare tubes for this kit cos i only bought 2 kits to try them out .
i suppose i could turn all the true stone off and reuse the tubes but i am not happy .
you save the blanks to make a real nice pen when the mood is right and this is what you get ,
dont think i will buy any more tru-stone, i still have a few but not this colour luckily .

PenTurner
2nd April 2011, 06:08 PM
Texx, probably still turn out a good looking pen, if green dots catch attention--"It was malachite in stone that appeared only after turning!!" Amos:)

gawdelpus
2nd April 2011, 07:04 PM
What a pain :( you might try a little digging and fill with some of the matching dust and CA .All the best though . cheers ~ John

munruben
2nd April 2011, 07:10 PM
Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines as John, maybe drill a small hole and fill it, would look better than the green dots. shame its at both ends of the blank.

texx
2nd April 2011, 08:12 PM
yep i suppose thats worth a try rather than just right it off.
thanks .

thompy
2nd April 2011, 08:22 PM
turn a tenon down and glue on a band of something in a solid colour?

Simomatra
3rd April 2011, 08:31 AM
Johno

Its worth talking to the supplier as those blanks are not cheap. I have had faulty ones and they were replaced when I mentioned it to the supplier. I have had the same problem in high end kits and they also were replaced no question of showing pictures

texx
3rd April 2011, 09:11 AM
ok , i just sent off an email to the supplier complete with a picture .
not their fault i know but not mine either .
i tried to do a repair which turned out reasonable , but i can still see it and i wont sell a pen to some one that i know has a repair like that .

johno