PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Advice

becd
2nd December 2004, 04:26 PM
I'm interested in rendering the exterior of our house, however, i have been told that it is not possible to render the brick surface as it has previously been painted. Is this true? Any advice is appreciated!!

Shaty40
2nd December 2004, 05:05 PM
Some friends of mine, had the same problem, they ended up stripping all the paint with high pressure water, paint stripper and a lot of elbow grease. very messy job.

LineLefty
2nd December 2004, 07:43 PM
Yes the fashion in our early 70's houses neighbourhood is to paint your brown brick white or render it. It looks marginally OK, but you'd want to do it right the first time.

My advice would be, don't render it in a crappy beige colour. It doesnt look like limestone, it looks like borwon bick that's been rendered in a beige limestone colour. <ramble mode off>

journeyman Mick
2nd December 2004, 10:57 PM
As far as I know it's not advisable to use traditional render on a painted surface. It is, however possible to use one of the proprietry acrylic based renders (Granosite, Quickwall or similiar)

Mick

marineman
5th December 2004, 09:17 AM
I've done a bit of reasearch earlier this year (before I found This forum) and Mick is correct, he's been doin that a lot lately i noticed.

I've got a conc block house in Cairns built in 77 and I'm going to use Granosite over the painted exterior walls. the basic steps are - 1/ walls blasted to remove all loose and dirt items 2/ granobond +sand + cement are brushed on leaving surface for the render 3/ granorender is mixed and then troweled on to the wall 4/ waterproofing layer applied (another Grano product) 5/ then painted.

Sounds easy doesn't it. Not.

I 've had a quote for over $5000 to render the house (not a big House). then I've costed the materials at about a quarter of the above figure. so if i can get a reasonable finnish i should be doing okay.

however one thing to note is that the data sheet indicates that warranty might an issue as they want proffesionals to apply the product.

hope this helps

john

Harry72
8th December 2004, 07:41 PM
Use a gentle flame and a wire brush to remove your paint!
Test it on a small inconspicuous spot first, to make sure your bricks can take a little heat...